Rabbit in Guinness with caramelised red onion

This is a really easy stew to make you can buy the sugar & a tub of bay leaves at asda and get a small parsley plant while your there and once you have them they last pretty much forever. I haven't made this since last year and i still have the parsley growing on my kitchen window sill and a big box of muscavado sugar in the pantry alongside my tub of bay leaves and oxo's.

2 Rabbits

3-4tbsp sunflower oil

4 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges

2tsp light muscovado sugar

2 carrots, finely chopped

2 sticks celery, finely chopped

330ml bottle Guinness

200ml beef stock made with beef oxo cube

2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)

chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

1 Boil the rabbits in a large saucepan for 45 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate.

2 Heat a little oil in the pan, add half the onions and fry for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and cook gently until the onions start to caramelise.

3 Add the carrots and celery and stir well for a minute or so. Return the meat to the pan, along with the Guinness and stock, and bring to the boil, stirring.

4 Add the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, add the remaining onions to the pan. Scatter with parsley and serve.

post-38840-1251647539.jpg

I have it with some mash and yorkshire puds, its really nice and different to the usual stew.

This is a really easy stew to make you can buy the sugar & a tub of bay leaves at asda and get a small parsley plant while your there and once you have them they last pretty much forever. I haven't made this since last year and i still have the parsley growing on my kitchen window sill and a big box of muscavado sugar in the pantry alongside my tub of bay leaves and oxo's.

2 Rabbits

3-4tbsp sunflower oil

4 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges

2tsp light muscovado sugar

2 carrots, finely chopped

2 sticks celery, finely chopped

330ml bottle Guinness

200ml beef stock made with beef oxo cube

2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)

chopped fresh parsley, to garnish

1 Boil the rabbits in a large saucepan for 45 minutes. Remove the meat to a plate.

2 Heat a little oil in the pan, add half the onions and fry for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and cook gently until the onions start to caramelise.

3 Add the carrots and celery and stir well for a minute or so. Return the meat to the pan, along with the Guinness and stock, and bring to the boil, stirring.

4 Add the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, then cover and simmer gently for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender. Half an hour before the end of the cooking time, add the remaining onions to the pan. Scatter with parsley and serve.

post-38840-1251647539.jpg

I have it with some mash and yorkshire puds, its really nice and different to the usual stew.

I'll be round for dinner tomorrow, loverly!!! :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...