Kestrel

JordKil

Im looking into getting myself a kestrel just for flying rather than hunting with. I have handled bops most of my life on and off (most being harris hawks and owls with a european kestrel a few times) I dont have the space for a larger bop like a HH (even though i would love one) but I have been looking in to getting a smaller bop for flying. Im unsure at which would suit my situation the best a european kes or an american kes. I know that the american is smaller and best suited indoors? But im unsure about the european whether I would need a large enclosure outside or something indoors? And for example what? I have taken into account the weight margin for the birds as they are very small and can die easily if not suited. I have a selection of frozen foods avaliable for it as I keep reptiles that eat day olds, mice , rats and I keep and breed quail so no lack of selection there! Only thing that bothers me is housing??

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jordan

You dony have the room outside? were will the bird weather during the day then? it cant just sit indoors and only see daylight when flying,as ive said before to people on here if you dont have the space/time/land to fly a bird dont get one.AKS need very secure weathering as the are often killed by spars,Euros are not as bad but still need secure sroundings to sit during the day.If you think im trying to put you off you are right,more people should discourage this type of "bird keeping" on forums and there would be as many unhappy birds sat in peoples gardens.

Edited by graham01

Some very nice pics there Dawn. The american is beautifulbut i agree they're awfully small and very delicate.

By 'i dont have room outside' i meant that for a huge aviary to keep something like a hawk in. I have plenty room for weathering as I have a 9 foot long ferret run that goes out for them during the day but that can be folded up and put out of the way you cant do that with an aviary. Plus my garden itself is more shrubs, tree, and large borders of plants then open spaces for me to build an aviary on. But there is plenty land to fly on (permission needed though but easily obtained) and there is someone in most of the day.

ATB

Jordan

Some very nice pics there Dawn. The american is beautifulbut i agree they're awfully small and very delicate.

By 'i dont have room outside' i meant that for a huge aviary to keep something like a hawk in. I have plenty room for weathering as I have a 9 foot long ferret run that goes out for them during the day but that can be folded up and put out of the way you cant do that with an aviary. Plus my garden itself is more shrubs, tree, and large borders of plants then open spaces for me to build an aviary on. But there is plenty land to fly on (permission needed though but easily obtained) and there is someone in most of the day.

ATB

Jordan

do you have the skill it takes to be able to weigh the bird properly and understand weight control ?

Well Iv done a load of reading on it. Iv read 'Falconry and Hawking by phillip Glasier' twice now so i think im prepared theory wise. Experience I have little but I have a relative that keeps bops up north so if I need help in that aspect im sorted.

Someone on the IFF suggested a Lanner falcon if its just for flying. What do you make of this? They said that it would take up less space if its just tethered up weathering than a kestrel in an aviary...good point i must say.

Iv been out and about with birds most of my life and I have a trip out with the falconry centre in Huntly 'walk with the walks' i believe it is called. Im not really jumoing in iv been looking at getting one for a few years just didnt have the cash then now I have that and extra knowledge. I will look into going out with someone local though for that little bit extra. Thanks

cracking pics there dawn b

Wow Dawn they are brilliant..........

ATB

Jordan

Cheers chaps. :)