salukixwhippet

Best dog i saw on the lamp for rabbits was 3/4 collie 1/4 whippet ...work all night everynight and as it got older and couldn't lamp like it used to worked with ferrets

would of love to see that dog working,but i am looking at salukixwhippet now pups that i am thinking about getting for the rabbits hope they would be good cause no one is selling collie crosses these days :blink:

Takes time to find the right dog for your needs personally a would say most saluki hybreds are bred for running hares, my advice would be to take your time and have a look around for a good collie x bescuse they make really good wee rabbiting dogs

yeah i think your right mate,but collie crosses are hard got over here no one seems to have them.but one of my mates bred his dogs saluki whippets and bring s back the rabbits live to hand on the lamp.he reckons the pups will be good for rabbits and that,so was kind of asking me to post to see if anyone else had this breed :) so he can see some pictures.but i am looking out for a good little rabbiting dog,is collie the best breed for the rabbits :thumbs:

personally a would go for a collie x anyday for lamping and genral mooching, am not saying that they are evryones cup of tea but it's just my personal opinion, also alot of beddy Xs do well on the lamp for rabbits and ferreting, saw a few good 1s but for me it would be a collie X all the way. Atb mate

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i heard the collie x are a very good cross for the rabbits,some people on here has nice collie x that does the job for the rabbits.but are hard got around were i live :(

aye had a superb 3/4 grey 1/4 collie bitch who was a good wee lamping dog and could also takes a few winter hares pre ban, well have a look mate and whatever you decide to go with Atb buddy. Darren :clapper:

to find the corrct dog takes time effort and patience, be honest with yourself what you want it to do,

for me the most important points were the parents of said pup and the owners of the parents in particular to the dam, i wanted the pups first contact with human to be spot on, i spent over 10 months looking for me pup and i travelled from suffolk to doncaster to get her, admittly i was driven there by someone i'd never met which in hindsight may have been daft! but you only live once, pup was worth it and i ended up meeting some fantastic people as an outcome, my pup is beddy/greyhound x whippet greyhound and i ended up getting her brother also, she is very keen, damn fast and is loyal, everything i look for in a dog, pics are on me profile page . .

end of the day mate the choice is up to you, any cross can be good or bad it depends what there born with, your training and an element of luck, i'd recommend to veiw litters of various crosses, see what vibe you get from the owners of the dogs and see if a pup takes you, you'll come accross one that you just know is it for you

all the best of luck mate in finding the dog for you lurcher lass x x x

p.s hippi moment finished lol

yeah i heard the collie x are a very good cross for the rabbits,some people on here has nice collie x that does the job for the rabbits.but are hard got around were i live :(

aye had a superb 3/4 grey 1/4 collie bitch who was a good wee lamping dog and could also takes a few winter hares pre ban, well have a look mate and whatever you decide to go with Atb buddy. Darren :clapper:

would love to see that dog working,like to see a small dog getting them Edited by jacko2009

ive not seen a sulkie x whippet 1st cross,,,,,,but i belive it would make an really good cross for rabbits

as long as the whippet was faster than the sulkie,,,,,as ive seen many ped,s slower than a sulkie,,,, :o

i know iam going to get flagg for this comment,,,,,,but if a sulkie put to a very fast whippet ( also well built,--(like my fawn whippet in my signature ) --or pups would be a bag off bones ) would produce a very handy and great rabbit dog,,,,but a dash off collie would put the iceing on the cake

iam now ducking for cover

Edited by whip x grey
i personally wouldn't go for a collie x simply not my type of dog, their too brainy, i good man told me ye don't want a dog that while out on the lamp sits back and works out can he catch that rabbit near the hedge, ye want a dog with fire in its belly, ready to try anything just pure instinct and loyalaty can't go wrong with

if its just rabbits your after a lil beddy x whippet would be grand or grey x whippet is faster, as mentioned above the saluki types are for hares

feel free to pm to go into more detail, all the very best lurcher lass xxx

lurcher lass your bang on the, my brothers collie x used to be a great dog bang on after everything a mile away it would chase it!.

shes 4 years now and if the rabbit or any quarry is 6 feet away from a tough of grass she wont touch it!

even in the middle of a field she will stalk it ,creeping along the floor then as it darts she will fly in missing alot this year so far.....do you think this can be cured or is it the collie curse..lol

can some one show me this cross,and what do ya think would be the best cross for rabbit s on the lamp thanks people :D:thumbs:

hi, i have a pup he is a saluki whippet greyhound, dam is a saluki whippet grey and sire a saluki grey he is now 19week old and starting to find his feet, we call him bullet when out for a walk and slug when he gets wet as he looks like one lol here he is as a little pup il take a fe more pics tonight of him now and put them on this post later :)

pup1004-1.jpg

pup1041-1.jpg

as a post on here says find a dog you want then get it it does take time its taken me yr to find the dog i want and boy have i found him he is so fast its unreal he is lethal, allready hes in and out of bushes and i often see im giving legs after bunnies which i am not too happy with he little bugger!!!! :)

Edited by Daks
i personally wouldn't go for a collie x simply not my type of dog, their too brainy, i good man told me ye don't want a dog that while out on the lamp sits back and works out can he catch that rabbit near the hedge, ye want a dog with fire in its belly, ready to try anything just pure instinct and loyalaty can't go wrong with

if its just rabbits your after a lil beddy x whippet would be grand or grey x whippet is faster, as mentioned above the saluki types are for hares

lurcher lass your bang on the, my brothers collie x used to be a great dog bang on after everything a mile away it would chase it!.

shes 4 years now and if the rabbit or any quarry is 6 feet away from a tough of grass she wont touch it!

even in the middle of a field she will stalk it ,creeping along the floor then as it darts she will fly in missing alot this year so far.....do you think this can be cured or is it the collie curse..lol

hi mate

i was expecting grief to be honest!!! i am pleasently surprised!

this is a fine example of what the owner of me pups father said . . the only thing i can think of is get her back to being really really keen, go out with a few people and their dogs, let the other dogs run but keep her on the lead, do this a couple of nights, then one night repeat for half the night til a rabbit is lit up close to the hedge line but far enough for her to have chance in catching it, hopefully she'll be so keen she'll give chase and fingers crossed be rewarded for her efforts, i'm no expert but tis what i would do . . i'm sure others will be quick to say its a useless idea and give their suggestions,,,hope this helps mate

all the very best lurcher lass xx

hi mate

i was expecting grief to be honest!!! i am pleasently surprised!

this is a fine example of what the owner of me pups father said . . the only thing i can think of is get her back to being really really keen, go out with a few people and their dogs, let the other dogs run but keep her on the lead, do this a couple of nights, then one night repeat for half the night til a rabbit is lit up close to the hedge line but far enough for her to have chance in catching it, hopefully she'll be so keen she'll give chase and fingers crossed be rewarded for her efforts, i'm no expert but tis what i would do . . i'm sure others will be quick to say its a useless idea and give their suggestions,,,hope this helps mate

all the very best lurcher lass xx

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

all collie xs i saw wouldn sneak up on a rabbit on the lamp but in the day they would and thats very good like!!you see others dogs just running at the rabbit and its 50 yards away from the rabbit and the rabbits ry at the ditch thats a stupid dog so go for a collie cross and there also easy to train so go for it!!and where are you in ireland because its easy to find them around here!! :)

all collie xs i saw wouldn sneak up on a rabbit on the lamp but in the day they would and thats very good like!!you see others dogs just running at the rabbit and its 50 yards away from the rabbit and the rabbits ry at the ditch thats a stupid dog so go for a collie cross and there also easy to train so go for it!!and where are you in ireland because its easy to find them around here!! :)

i am in around the leitrim area mate,but there is noone around selling any mate,maybe ya no were i could get a good dog for on the lamp,would travel to like thanks :)