salukixwhippet

finking of getting a saluki whippet for my next dog, or even maybe a saluki whippet / collie grey?....what you think of this cross? ( think they would make a good lamping dog, mooching dog )

think the saluki whippet /collie grey would be the best cross for the rabbits on the lamp,but i would like to see the saluki whippet cross,does anyone have one at all :blink:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont let people put you off about saluki hybreds are only just for hares even though they are their primary target more than a lot of saluki hybreds are more than capable of ferreting and lamping.My old bitch is out of a dog called the beast bred back to a bitch decended from the T M dogs from caithness and has exeled at ferreting bushing lamping and hares PRE BAN If thats wat type of dog you fancy go and get one .If i had the choise of a dog bred similar to my old bitch or one out of a track dog i know wat my choise would be without a second thought.atvb dell

Best dog i saw on the lamp for rabbits was 3/4 collie 1/4 whippet ...work all night everynight and as it got older and couldn't lamp like it used to worked with ferrets

would of love to see that dog working,but i am looking at salukixwhippet now pups that i am thinking about getting for the rabbits hope they would be good cause no one is selling collie crosses these days :blink:

Takes time to find the right dog for your needs personally a would say most saluki hybreds are bred for running hares, my advice would be to take your time and have a look around for a good collie x bescuse they make really good wee rabbiting dogs

yeah i think your right mate,but collie crosses are hard got over here no one seems to have them.but one of my mates bred his dogs saluki whippets and bring s back the rabbits live to hand on the lamp.he reckons the pups will be good for rabbits and that,so was kind of asking me to post to see if anyone else had this breed :) so he can see some pictures.but i am looking out for a good little rabbiting dog,is collie the best breed for the rabbits :thumbs:

personally a would go for a collie x anyday for lamping and genral mooching, am not saying that they are evryones cup of tea but it's just my personal opinion, also alot of beddy Xs do well on the lamp for rabbits and ferreting, saw a few good 1s but for me it would be a collie X all the way. Atb mate

Hey Macrorie, I'm down in Oz and we don't have the Lurcher thing happening here. Lots of kangaroo dogs and pig dogs though. When you talk about 'collie' cross, do you mean a long haired Lassie type collie, or a Border Collie or something else?