I have a six month old lurcher bitch she was coming on really good sitting, staying retrieving a dummy or ball to hand, in short I thought I had a real good un then the begining of the week I took her out for her evening walk let her off of her lead and she wouldn't recall and if I walked up to her she runs away, tonight was the worst night as I didnt get her back on the lead and she chased a nieghbours cat and was at the front door when I got home, I havn't hit her at all I have tried to remain calm with her and I have owned a few dogs over the years so I wouldn't call myself a novice but shes nearly got me beat, if anyones got experience of this or any answers it would be much appreciated

No saluki shes got whippet greyhound beddy and collie in her, I have just realised shes into her first season plus the kids are on holiday and have been messing about with her, I've told the kids to leave her alone and hopefully next week she will calm down

Guest chook

You might need to start recall training over again, now she knows how to avoid going back on lead,

she will probably carry on doing it, one mistake people always do when letting dogs off lead,

is to only call them back when its time to go home, eventualy the dog starts to realise lead go's on - fun stops.

when you take the dog out, its good to call them back every so often, even if its just for a pat and to praise them,

make coming back to you the most exciting thing in the world, its also good to keep changeing the place you put them back on lead

as they never know when there going back on,

if they avoid going back on lead, try sitting down with your back to the dog, most dogs get curious as to why you have sat down,

take a toy out, play a bit of a game, if shes retriveing then do a bit of that, get her mind on somt else other than going back on the lead,

if shes still avoiding take a handfull of treats out and drop them all, most will just think of there bellys and you can get hold of them whist there scoffing the food, but dont make a big deal out of going back on lead.

I have stopped the kids messing around with her and her seasons finished, I have been walking her in different places and today she was back to her normal self, but I have been doing recall training with her again, I will see what happens when I take her to one of her familier walks tonight atb nasher1

Good advice from Chook. Always whilst on a walk call dog back - give it treat- tell it to go again, or call it back put lead on walk a few minutes & let it off lead. Then it doesnt associate coming back with end of fun.

You should find that if you make coming back to you a reward that the dog will settle down & come back all the time

I have a six month old lurcher bitch she was coming on really good sitting, staying retrieving a dummy or ball to hand, in short I thought I had a real good un then the begining of the week I took her out for her evening walk let her off of her lead and she wouldn't recall and if I walked up to her she runs away, tonight was the worst night as I didnt get her back on the lead and she chased a nieghbours cat and was at the front door when I got home, I havn't hit her at all I have tried to remain calm with her and I have owned a few dogs over the years so I wouldn't call myself a novice but shes nearly got me beat, if anyones got experience of this or any answers it would be much appreciated

Hi mate .Think most of us have been there.When she wont come to recall.Dont walk toward.s her .Walk the outher way calling her in a cam voice.At six month you could try useing fur for retrieving. I find the dog gose up a few gears.I use a dead tree rat It was just a bad day. Keep her in for three to four day,s.Bet she will come back good.atb. Catcher 1 :thumbs:

i agree with what was said( for all its worth!)

go back to basics and start training again, there must be a fault somwhere along the line.

it can be bloody frustrating bud, but keep your cool and keep it playfull.

you may want to try a long lead( 20- 30 yards) to start recall training, that way she will not "win" by going off chasing cats and having fun. you have controll. start short and work up to the end of the lead. after that leave the lead trail( she still feels you have controll) untill she has become better, then shorten the lead again untill no longer needed.

hope it helps.