I was wondering what sort of nose your running dogs have or would have if they were encouraged to track.

When i was away in Aus they used bull crosses (bull arabs) etc for the pigs but generally bigger built (more bull etc in them?) and a lot of them had pretty good noses and good speed although not up to lurcher standards, rabbits would be hit and miss

We shoot a lot of deer and a mate is training up a dog for following up wounded stuff and for RTA calls etc. I was wondering if the half cross bull would be any good for this work (bringing size and strength) or maybe crossed back to a bull, collie for a bit more nose.

Really i was thinking that this would probably give you something that was quicker than most tracking dogs with still a good nose from what i have seen abroad (seems like all dogs have the nose they just have to want to use it). This would allow stronger runners to be retrieved sooner (with the dog a bit more likely to be game to pull the deer down) with the dog free but also you could work on a line.

I would stress that this is a dog for following up injured deer not for taking deer so really nose is the important thing, im jusy wondering about re inventing the wheel with a bit more pace.

Dan

I was wondering what sort of nose your running dogs have or would have if they were encouraged to track.

When i was away in Aus they used bull crosses (bull arabs) etc for the pigs but generally bigger built (more bull etc in them?) and a lot of them had pretty good noses and good speed although not up to lurcher standards, rabbits would be hit and miss

We shoot a lot of deer and a mate is training up a dog for following up wounded stuff and for RTA calls etc. I was wondering if the half cross bull would be any good for this work (bringing size and strength) or maybe crossed back to a bull, collie for a bit more nose.

Really i was thinking that this would probably give you something that was quicker than most tracking dogs with still a good nose from what i have seen abroad (seems like all dogs have the nose they just have to want to use it). This would allow stronger runners to be retrieved sooner (with the dog a bit more likely to be game to pull the deer down) with the dog free but also you could work on a line.

I would stress that this is a dog for following up injured deer not for taking deer so really nose is the important thing, im jusy wondering about re inventing the wheel with a bit more pace.

Dan

you can still get done using the dog to pull it down ,even if it is shot .unless it is dead other wise we could all get away with doging them still ,so i would have a re think .

I would like to try a EBTx for something like that. I have a EBT and he has a great nose on him whereas the bullxs that I have are more sight hound and won't really track.

If I had kennel space I would try this breed out anyway as I think they would be good for me.