Get the pup trained first: make sure you have a good recall in different situations: like on his own, in open fields, and even when there are other dogs around. A dog without a good recall will do your head in if you get it out on the lamp with loads of bunnies around!

With a very fast type of lurcher like yours I'd make sure he is well used to getting around in the countryside too: let him learn about hedges, brambles and barbed wire before he is actually chasing something, or you're likely to take him home in your arms and straight to the vet to be sown up!

If he is steady and sensible then you could start him lamping at about 10 months old, but not if he is a flighty mad headed youngster. Ferreting is the best way to start a young lurcher as it teaches them to be sensible and patient, but if you don't have ferrets then you'll just have to get him out and about in the field letting him learn about scent and fieldcraft by himself.

Don't be in a hurry: all good things come to those who wait!

Get the pup trained first: make sure you have a good recall in different situations: like on his own, in open fields, and even when there are other dogs around. A dog without a good recall will do your head in if you get it out on the lamp with loads of bunnies around!

With a very fast type of lurcher like yours I'd make sure he is well used to getting around in the countryside too: let him learn about hedges, brambles and barbed wire before he is actually chasing something, or you're likely to take him home in your arms and straight to the vet to be sown up!

If he is steady and sensible then you could start him lamping at about 10 months old, but not if he is a flighty mad headed youngster. Ferreting is the best way to start a young lurcher as it teaches them to be sensible and patient, but if you don't have ferrets then you'll just have to get him out and about in the field letting him learn about scent and fieldcraft by himself.

Don't be in a hurry: all good things come to those who wait!

thanks for dat skycat had him ferretin yesterday and he got on well so im happy enough

Sorry im a bit late at replying to this message but id show the dog this season, to get her into the lamping game, once she is not longer 'Lamp Shy' get her chasing down some titches ( little rabbits ) if the dog has the idea let it on another few, but dont run it too often it will spoil it

Cheers

Trevor

i would wait till hes about 10 month just plenty of day walks and if he chases let him just dont push him too fast hes got all the time in world by the end of this season he should be picking up bunnys for joke have patience and he will do u well

Dont all shout at me at once this is just the way i do it. If i want a dog for lamping why would you start it in the day ferreting teaching it to hunt up and mark a whole!!! i take my pups lamping first, i give it a few dropped bunnys at night so they get to grips with that. Then when they have done that then i take them ferreting. Thats just what i do and i works for me. Of course the pups recall and other training has been mastered