Hiya mate, started getting bags of beef and chicken mince .. i mix them together and throw in a few pieces of brown bread to soak up the liquid that comes off the meat..

Edited by Ratter
Hiya mate, started getting bags of beef and chicken mince .. i mix them together and throw in a few pieces of brown bread to soak up the liquid that comes off the meat..

No harm in it at all. I wouldnt use the reason "just to soak up liquid that comes off the meat" the dogs system will do that. Although dogs gain energy from fat unlike us humans use carbs, there is no harm in small doses like you mention using brown bread. IMO of course.

I used to use brown bread instead of biscuit meal for greyhounds, day old used to cost 10p a loaf from the bakers. I found baking it in the bottom of the oven, ie whenever the missus was cooking I'd pop a couple of loaves in and leave. The baked bread would keep well and the dogs did ok on it as part of a balenced diet. sprinters use carbs to power sprints.

I used to use brown bread instead of biscuit meal for greyhounds, day old used to cost 10p a loaf from the bakers. I found baking it in the bottom of the oven, ie whenever the missus was cooking I'd pop a couple of loaves in and leave. The baked bread would keep well and the dogs did ok on it as part of a balenced diet. sprinters use carbs to power sprints.

meat and brown bread was the food of yesterdays greyhounds so i,ve been told.

Are you cooking the mince first mate? Feeding bread the way you are as a filler should be ok but if your boiling the mince then personally I wouldn't bother, it takes out some of the proteins and vitamins etc. Feed them bones to keep their teeth clean too just watch they don't fight over them.