Raw & complete

Guest Gregg Barrow

Rainmaker,

Thanks for posting Dr Lonsdales link. It looks like a heckuva resource.

Having attended a couple of seminars given by Dr Billinghurst and after reading his books, I know he credits Dr Lonsdale and his research for a lot of what he’s written. I’ve just been too cheap to cough up the cash to buy the books. Looks like I won’t have to now.

Lonsdale doesn’t mince words, while Billinghurst is a little more diplomatic.

There was a lady at the first seminar that I attended that asked Dr Billinghurst for some advice, something she could use to convince her neighbor that she needed to switch her dogs to a RMB’s diet. When asked what her neighbor had, he was told “two Dobermans, a mother and daughter, ages 14 ½ and 12". When asked what she fed, he was told “one can of Alpo and table scraps, per dog, per dayâ€. He scratched his head and looked hard at the young woman and said “my advice is..My God Woman, Don’t change a thing, because the second you throw one of those dogs a chicken wing, it will probably keel over dead and she will blame me!†:)

It got a laugh and was indicative of his sense of balance. He did say that there will always be those dogs that throw you a curve and appear to do better on a diet that most dogs would find impossible to thrive on.

I've dealt with one, a retired police service dog from Germany. It's been about a year now, but I think we have him completely swtiched over and he's keeping wieght and looking really good.

Best,

Gregg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete foods are a direct result of todays lazy culture .Buy it in a bag ,tin ,frozen .Most of us havent the time to deal with raw feeds or the inclination to source it and store it .IMO the problem with complete is its too easy to pour out a bowl full and think the dogs getting everything it needs .A high protein diet is not the answer for all year round feeding as different work loads require different amounts of protein to sustain and repair muscle etc .Less active periods of say height of summer require only maintenance feeding .Dogs find it hard to deal with excess protein and it is this which Im sure is the reason for most cannine cancer .

Raw is in my opinion the way to go ,subsidised with cooked veg as and when the family have it .The amount is simply increased with the workload or by experience of the dog .

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:clapper::clapper::clapper: F***in Bravo and Thankyou, Rainmaker and Foxdrops! Two guys who seem capable of putting into a 'word' what I'm sure Stabs tried with his links and I gave up on for fear, this time of the month, of being accused of trying to ram my personal opinion down the worlds throat as my one personal word of 'God'! :rolleyes:

By the way; I read a mind altering artcle, just yesterday / today, which further scared the sh*t out of me: Seems that feeding our dogs cereals is about on a par with spoon feeding them Age, liberally sprinkled with Cancer! :icon_eek: FFS!

If you guys are interested, let me know.

I know food is an important issue in keeping a healthy dog but for feck's sake dry food = cancer.. :laugh: i dont think so ..

All you folk who wont feed dry food.. :blink: .. do you smoke.? if so is it in the same room as your dogs because that will have a far worse effect on there health than any kind of dry food.

Millet.

Millet- You seem a sensible sort of lad judging by your posts but I think your a bit shortsighted on this one .

For a LONG AND ACTIVE WORKING CAREER a dog needs the best food,free from artificial additives and shit.

Its no coincidence that hounds are some of the most hardy ,complaint free dogs we have and they are all fed raw/whole carcass.Another point on the dry food feeding is that its not normal for a dog to drink vast amounts of water as they have to when fed dry .I know it helps flush them through but the raw diet does not require this.Dogs on raw drink when they are thirsty and not because the body craves it after eating a bowl of sawdust . :11: .Very few dogs I know of fed raw have ever had any form of cancer but on the other hand I know of a few that have died premature through cancer that were fed dry only .One can only comment truthfully from first hand experience .Keep it real -foxdropper .

Raw meaty bones and whole carcase feeding is the way that I shall be going ...

My wife works in a pet shop,..so,..I have access to all the latest brands of 'complete food' ...

However,.if you scan through the various ingredients on the back of the packets, they really do make for enlightening reading :icon_eek: I was brought up to feed the dogs on raw food,.then went onto the complete stuff for a few years,..and I must admit,...we survived,... ;) But,.time for a change....

All the best,..CHALKWARREN...... :)

I have just picked my dog's up from being in the kennel whilst I have been on hols ,the woman in the kennel said to me that when they go in next she would prefer me to supply the food I feed (BARF) so she can keep them looking like they were when they went in , now I didn't give her food because i felt that paying for they're stay included the grub and I wasn't going to give her that for free as well even though it was only a week ,but after the conversation with her I will supply everything whenever they go back in ........ they were fed a combination of complete and meat but she said that it didn't agree with them at all and if it had been for a longer period she would be confident they would not be well on it ........... on the issue of cancer I had a very long email on the subject many years ago and have never feed my dog's on complete shite since ...................barf is the only way IMO

Guest bracken boy

i buy complete but i want and will feed raw soon as im swaying this side, but a chap i know lost his greyhound which was 17 so i asked him what he feeds and he said ped complete, of which it was on it for 12 years.. if the evidence is true why cant we do somethink about these complete foods? money i suppose..