Eye Infection

Guest chilli

One of my lurchers has been waking up with a extra large lump of sleep in both his eyes , I have been washing this out with cold tea for the last few days but it is not clearing . Can I get something from the chemist designed for humans to clear it up or is it a vet job ?

Cheers in advance

it will depend if the eyes are infected or irritated, if it started with one eye then spread to the other it could be infection there are antibiotic drops available over the counter but a trip to the vets might be a good idea. if it started as both together then it may be irritation, is the dog running in dusty uncut hay fields etc if so then a wash out with a none medicated eye wash, saline through choice, may help.

Guest mucker

had the same thing a couple of years back with two dogs at the same time.

took one of them vets and gave us canuval i think it is.

its like a thick ointment.

but since then ive been told you can use optrex eye drops that are over the counter at chemists but i havent tried it so....

id assume its been tested on dogs,monkey etc so it might work.

edited to add it wasnt canuval think thats for ears, it was thucithalmic drops.

Edited by mucker

Some of the stuff issued by a vet is called chloromycetin ,in a tube and is a clear cream .This stuff lasts for ages as it quickly clears up any eye problems .Be careful not to touch other dogs after cleaning one with eye trouble as its very infectious .