• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i aint arguing. you do things your way i will do them mine, safe in the knowledge that neither i nor anybody else will get bitten for walking past my dogs while they are eating.............

Feel free to come and meet the gang. Come and see the commotion :D And not a single scruffing in sight.

wanting to learn more about training dogs could you tell me 6 pack what books you have learnt from as all imformation is good

For those still thinking that scruffing and bullying is the way to go, may I suggest Koehlers method of dog training. Would be right down your ally ;)

i take it you think im taking the p*ss or somethink as ive said i like to learn even if i only agree with 10% of what i read is better than nothing i might agree with more i dont know unless im willing to open mind pm me if you wish Degsy

• 2 weeks later...
i aint arguing. you do things your way i will do them mine, safe in the knowledge that neither i nor anybody else will get bitten for walking past my dogs while they are eating.............

Feel free to come and meet the gang. Come and see the commotion :D And not a single scruffing in sight.

wanting to learn more about training dogs could you tell me 6 pack what books you have learnt from as all imformation is good

For those still thinking that scruffing and bullying is the way to go, may I suggest Koehlers method of dog training. Would be right down your ally ;)

Who is this character? May i ask what kind of dogs you run 6pack, just out of interest... Not what kind you train or what you have trained but what kind you own... And no one ever mentioned bullying, why blow it out of contect to try to get more surport.....????

Who is this character? May i ask what kind of dogs you run 6pack, just out of interest... Not what kind you train or what you have trained but what kind you own... And no one ever mentioned bullying, why blow it out of contect to try to get more surport.....????

Well seeing as I was asked about literature - who do you think he is?

I don't consider likening scruffing to bullying being out of proportion. It is an act totally alien to a dog, totally unnatural and totally unnecessary. It's something you do in attempt to show your dog you are bigger and badder. He of course already knows this, but you feel the need to re-enforce your stature.

I don't need any support, big enough and ugly enough to speak for myself ta. :)

The 6 pack consists of a sprollie, a whippet/collie, a grey/collie, a saluki/grey, a bull/grey/whippet and a borzoi. I am sure you will find reason why these don't give me enough experience to match your own - that is to be expected - but meh! Such is life.

Today there are 18 dogs sharing the same space. All will be fed together in close proximity, with no worries, and not a single scruffing has been used or is needed. But, again, I am sure you will find reason to argue this too.

Am more than interested to hear why you think it is necessary, what you think it teaches a dog and how?

Well, can I put my 2 penneth in, due to this thread, Ive changed my attitude, and it works !!! what I do is split my pups meal into 2, give her lets say a chicken wing, let her be as protective over it as she wants, casually walk upto her and saying her name, get as close as you can to her, and toss the other part of her meal to her, Ive done this over the last 2 Weeks or since this thread started, and I can now take food off her, Im still swapping with the other part of the meal, but she now associates, me coming near her with yep you guessed it....more food! sorry to say but I was wrong, I think there are better methods than being physical with them, and my situation proves it !

atb Craig & Lexy

I don't consider likening scruffing to bullying being out of proportion. It is an act totally alien to a dog, totally unnatural and totally unnecessary. It's something you do in attempt to show your dog you are bigger and badder. He of course already knows this, but you feel the need to re-enforce your stature.

The 6 pack consists of a sprollie, a whippet/collie, a grey/collie, a saluki/grey, a bull/grey/whippet and a borzoi. I am sure you will find reason why these don't give me enough experience to match your own - that is to be expected - but meh! Such is life.

Today there are 18 dogs sharing the same space. All will be fed together in close proximity, with no worries, and not a single scruffing has been used or is needed. But, again, I am sure you will find reason to argue this too.

Am more than interested to hear why you think it is necessary, what you think it teaches a dog and how?

Your very paranoid arent you sixpack! Someone asked you which books you read to teach dogs, you wouldnt answer them and got all defensive..

I asked you a few questions, and yet again you get all mighty about the answers and start quoting that someone would find fault with you, whats to do with you, just normal answers would do.

I think there are 6 of you on this one, so maybe all the 20odd others who dared to go against must have dogs that dont like us or respect us, maybe they dont work for us as well. What do you do when they attack livestock, or dont tell me, you have never had a dog that has...

Your very paranoid arent you sixpack! Someone asked you which books you read to teach dogs, you wouldnt answer them and got all defensive..

I asked you a few questions, and yet again you get all mighty about the answers and start quoting that someone would find fault with you, whats to do with you, just normal answers would do.

I think there are 6 of you on this one, so maybe all the 20odd others who dared to go against must have dogs that dont like us or respect us, maybe they dont work for us as well. What do you do when they attack livestock, or dont tell me, you have never had a dog that has...

hahahahahahaha - someone pick me up.

I answer all your questions but I am defensive. Classic. :clapper:

Are those men who say to hit it the same ones who give their wives a slap for looking at them "funny"?

Its not about dominance, its about trust, the guy who said bend down and ADD feed to startwith is spot on!! I've never beaten my dogs but with a build up of trust i can take anything and everything off them, including all game.

Try to get some professional help if you are really concerend about your kids (but training them will help too!!) DO NOT go to just anyone, try a qualified APDT trainer, many of them a really keen on working dogs because a decent trainer likes to see a dog happy in the work he's designed to do!!

the alpha role should be taken on by all members of the family soonest!

some methods of dog training are archaic thats true,some ideas on canine pschycology outdated also true.

the dog may or may not feel threatend by your presence at feeding time,but must respect YOUR authority( this should transfer to all members of the family) and cannot be questioned.

we seem fixed upon showing the dog we are in the alpha role by removing food,WHY?

consequence shows authority in all stages of a dogs life( see the response of alpha male/female wolf when approached while feeding!)

example:

the dog will soon learn that he may go into the living room but not on the sofa or a consequence will follow.

this and all aspects of daily routine will enforce your role as alpha. and there will not be a situation where the dog is given a choice do/do not( this will if anything reduce conflict and make the dogs life less stressfull as he has security in his position.bottom of the pack!)

this is only my oppinion.

P.S.

i will not tolerate any aggression from my dogs,whether against humans or other dogs( i am alpha and if anyone needs biting i'll do it !!)

irrespective of how big a dog is he should be taught at an early age and the problem of size will not arise. as with horses/elephants and such for want of better examples of animals we are able to dominate through our understanding and not strenght.

• 2 weeks later...
hi all in need of a bit of advice the problem is my 12 week old bullx is getting a bit nasty when eating her meat . when you have to take it away or stroke her when eating she reacts bad growling teath out im getting concerned cuz i have toddlers running round the house. i have always from the first day stroked her while eating so i didnt get this problem but now its here how shall i control it many thanks

just to say everyone got very complicated on this topic.

its very simple if you make your dog do something for its

food as in sit or lie down eventually making it wait till you tell it to eat

then authority will come to you and your dog will soon learn that your the

boss (alpha male as its called) and no agression is needed.

in saying that i do not knock givin a dog a good slap.

(lurchers with a lot of colly blood be carefull can be verry snappy)

hi all in need of a bit of advice the problem is my 12 week old bullx is getting a bit nasty when eating her meat . when you have to take it away or stroke her when eating she reacts bad growling teath out im getting concerned cuz i have toddlers running round the house. i have always from the first day stroked her while eating so i didnt get this problem but now its here how shall i control it many thanks

just to say everyone got very complicated on this topic.

its very simple if you make your dog do something for its

food as in sit or lie down eventually making it wait till you tell it to eat

then authority will come to you and your dog will soon learn that your the

boss (alpha male as its called) and no agression is needed.

in saying that i do not knock givin a dog a good slap.

(lurchers with a lot of colly blood be carefull can be verry snappy)