saluki experts

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok if you were given a choice of having a pure desert bred saluki

from what region would you get your saluki

saudi uae deserts, isralie nagrev or sinei, or kurdish iranian.and why?

I think possibly Saudi UAE, there is a saluki centre there, plus their is more money in Saudi, those filthy rich arabs will have the best for running gazelle and desert hares, the only people to have better may be tribesmen who have had the same lines for donkeys years, just watched a documentry on saluki's by National Geographic (it's been on sky before), atvb Richard

I think possibly Saudi UAE, there is a saluki centre there, plus their is more money in Saudi, those filthy rich arabs will have the best for running gazelle and desert hares, the only people to have better may be tribesmen who have had the same lines for donkeys years, just watched a documentry on saluki's by National Geographic (it's been on sky before), atvb Richard

ok richard i know of the saluki centre the man talks the talk but i have heard things !! about it wouldnt be my choice yes the saudis have got the money and they can buy from anywere!! in the world including the uk :whistling:

do you no what the know what the program was called mate

ATB

01mt02

ATB

01mt02

It's called 'hunting hounds of arabia' atvb Richard

ok richard i know of the saluki centre the man talks the talk but i have heard things !! about it wouldnt be my choice yes the saudis have got the money and they can buy from anywere!! in the world including the uk :whistling:

Me personaly I would buy the best I could get in the uk, the cost and hassle of buying in from abroad, for me personaly wouldn't be worth it, but there are those who do :yes: and good luck to them, but I bet it's a mine field IMHO, nice to see english dogs going abroad though cannot be bad for the breed, atb Richard

ok richard i see what your saying but the coursing lines in the uk are saturated through line breeding and not

great choises in the uk to outcross pure coursing lines its bound to cause genetic faults :whistling:

ATB

cheers mate

ATVB

01mt02

01mt02

It's called 'hunting hounds of arabia' atvb Richard

As anybody seen the old arcive footige of the real lawrence of arabia their is a short clip were he is on a camel and their is 3 or 4 salukis in front of him to me they looked no different to some of the salukis in this country today if i was wealthy enough to own one of these majestic dogs i would not esitate to get one from these shores.atvb

ok richard i see what your saying but the coursing lines in the uk are saturated through line breeding and not

great choises in the uk to outcross pure coursing lines its bound to cause genetic faults :whistling:

surely the same has to be said for dogs in saudi, uae etc

I spent some time with Sheik Hamed, last year, at his Saluki Centre in Abu Dhabi, and his Falconry centre in Dubai. What things have you heard ? He's a man who is dedicated to the preservation of the desert bred Saluki, and his kennels are second to none. His dogs are worked regularly. There is the normal jealousy/rivalry in Saluki breeding, just as there is in any breed. Why cast innuendo on the man, just thru' hearsay ?

Cheers.

Would just like to say that in the very early 70's, members of the Maktoum family(UAE) attended a Saluki Club organised Coursing meeting, so impressed by a particular hound, they bought a whole litter bred from one of the top Saluki kennels ( Coursing & Showing) in this country, flown out there by their private jet, they had also bought puppies in the latter part of the 1960's from the breeder that we were fortunate to get our 1st saluki from. On all accounts, they felt as though they needed to strengthen their genepool. !!

I spent some time with Sheik Hamed, last year, at his Saluki Centre in Abu Dhabi, and his Falconry centre in Dubai. What things have you heard ? He's a man who is dedicated to the preservation of the desert bred Saluki, and his kennels are second to none. His dogs are worked regularly. There is the normal jealousy/rivalry in Saluki breeding, just as there is in any breed. Why cast innuendo on the man, just thru' hearsay ?

Cheers.

yes sheik hamed is an influensial man in the saluki world im sure he does a good job not for me and i didnt say what id heard and wont here good or bad make your own mind up i have! atb

earlier this year there was a GULF STATE CHAMPIONSHIP and all the Arabic countries hadf entries UAE , Saudi , Quatar Baharain etc etc...

and the winner was Bahrain ...i know someone who was fortunate to be there and they said the Bahrain bred salukis were a bit quicker than the rest

and yes they were hunting , not chasing plastic bags LOL

i also know someone who has a Saluki from the UAE Hamad Alghanems kennels and the pedigree is traced back for about 10 generations

the saluki from the UAE is also the finest example of a saluki i have ever seen , She is very short coat , pure white in color and very athletically made quite muscular for a female , very powerful looking