black and white or liver and white

This has probably been asked many times before but i was just curious to know if anyone knows if there is any difference between the two colours?

many thanks Ed :)

No both mad :D

But the l/w always seemed easy ( ish ) :whistling: to train

Regards Frankie

This has probably been asked many times before but i was just curious to know if anyone knows if there is any difference between the two colours?

many thanks Ed :)

Well ones brown and ones black!

I do have two liver and white (one bitch one dog) both stark raving mad.

I suppose there can be a differents in black & white and liver & white,

as one colour can be from a line of B & Whites, and have different qualities ie, larger dog, harder hunter and push harder in cover or smaller dog more stylish and keen retriever,

you would have to trace back the line and speak to as many people as you could about that line.

and am not saying a liver and white bitch wouldnt throw black and white pups.

cheers

Edited by welsh-dragon
I suppose there can be a differents in black & white and liver & white,

as one colour can be from a line of B & Whites, and have different qualities ie, larger dog, harder hunter and push harder in cover or smaller dog more stylish and keen retriever,

you would have to trace back the line and speak to as many people as you could about that line.

and am not saying a liver and white bitch wouldnt throw back and white pups.

cheers

Bw are more intelligent must be the sheep dog in them .

Carnt say theirs any difference onley some i bred 20 year ago the black and white were a shade steadier than liver and white pups in the same litter. Jack Bird a keeper at wiseton nr bawtry had one i think he was happy with it.atvb

Carnt say theirs any difference onley some i bred 20 year ago the black and white were a shade steadier than liver and white pups in the same litter. Jack Bird a keeper at wiseton nr bawtry had one i think he was happy with it.atvb

good point,, maybe futher down the line of this litter you bred there was a steadier dog.

just a throught.

cheers

Edited by welsh-dragon

good point,, maybe futher down the line of this litter you bred there was a steadier dog.

just a throught.

cheers

The grand dam to these pups was purchased from wales and was of the gwibernant line i have been told way back their was a working show strain higham in the breeding.The springers i have now are all decended from these but been outcrossed to a steady rytex bred dog.The few pups i have bred all are steady.atvb
No difference in my opinion both colours can be as bad or as good as the other.

Whether they are any good or not is normally down to their breeding and subsequent training.

I totaly agree with you there,

i was just a pointing out breeding really

like saying if you had 2 pups same age from different litters and trained them the same by a very comptent gundog trainer would they turn out the same, i bet they wouldnt as its to do with the line there bred from to.

i understand where your coming from tho, its like giving a person a full trained FT dog and they have no experince in gundog training and with in a month the dog would be running riot..

cheers

lines are the key part in this topic, if the line is shit, more than likely the pup won't be upto much, the saying goes "breed the best-train the rest" and I think this is true...

very interesting comment about the BW being more intelligent Waterpower, due to the sheepdog in them???

I think its down to lines...

By the way waterpower, the dog in your avatar,looks spot on, is it dog or bitch and what is the breeding behind it???

Regards RS

lines are the key part in this topic, if the line is shit, more than likely the pup won't be upto much, the saying goes "breed the best-train the rest" and I think this is true...

very interesting comment about the BW being more intelligent Waterpower, due to the sheepdog in them???

Regards RS

I read somewhere years ago a theory that some strains of ess had been crossed with sheepdogs. There would be some sense in that as the collie is recognised as the most intelligent breed. If you read the books about training a dog to quarter when the wind is blowing from behind the collie style of running out in a circle first fits with this idea and then working back. Another clue may be in the size of the ears- in many working lines the ears are not as long as in old pictures.

As Keith Erlandson wrote " it is a wise dog that knows its genes ! "