dog worrying sheep

a mate of mine (a farmer) has his sheep grazing on his land adjacent to a caravan site.

and as you can imagine the "tourists" think their dogs can go where they want, anyway he has found sheep walking about with their guts and throats hanging out.

he was out checking his sheep the other night and there was a dog chasing sheep into a ditch, he had his shotgun with him and, as he is entitled to, shot the dog. But he only wounded it as after the first shot it started to run and it went back to the owner( who was still at the caravan site, the dog was exercising its self)

a couple of hours later the RSPCA and police turned up at his farm and are contemplating prosecuting him for animal cruelty as he only wounded the dog, the police said if he had killed it there would be no case to answer.

needless to say he is now going to carry his .270 with him aswell as his 12 bore.

just wondered what your thoughts are........are they right or wrong to prosecute ???

cheers

sean

Edited by SEAN3513

the way i see it he has to protect his livelyhood ,he used the shotgun as thats all he had ,at least now he will kill any sheep worriers cleanly if he has to which i hope he doesnt have to ,shame to have to kill any dog ,i blame the owners for not breaking them to stock in the first place

i would have blown its head off and took it to the owner , and its his land , he would give a human a kickin if he cought them chasing his sheep so why not give the dog one with the shotty

the way i see it he has to protect his livelyhood ,he used the shotgun as thats all he had ,at least now he will kill any sheep worriers cleanly if he has to which i hope he doesnt have to ,shame to have to kill any dog ,i blame the owners for not breaking them to stock in the first place

well said scent

my thoughts exactly

cheers

sean

just wondered what your thoughts are........are they right or wrong to prosecute ???

Definitely wrong: he was protecting his livelihood and it is, as stated, his right to do so. Yes; he should have killed not wounded but what can you do? If you don't get a perfect shot it's a shame but at hey ho.

theres a farmer down here who has no livestock, just land, and there is a public footpath going through one of his fields, i use abit, and the farmer told me and my mate if he sees us again on his land the first dog he sees he will shoot,

i know this is a different story because of his livestock but every innocent dog can turn, just like any innocent person,

personally if any farmer shot my dog i would set there barns on fire, the full lot!

He has all the right in the world to kill it.... What kind of a dog was it, just wondering?

And what kind of dogs go to this camp site!! Throat and gutts hanging out?? Have you ever tryed to rip open a sheep, ok, i dont need everyone telling me that a dog is capable of this, i do know, i feed my dogs on hearts from my mates slaughter house.

It takes a f*****g big and powerful dog to rip a sheep up. In days gone by when there were stray dogs everywhere, it was usually a pack of dogs that ripped up sheep..

And how many of these BIG NASTY dogs are running around on this camp site, (where kids will be playing) And i do not know a campsite in the country where the policy isnt all dogs to kept on the lead..

p.s, is your mate not a very good shot with a gun??

YET AGAIN IT JUST SHOWS HOW S.HITE THE LAW IS FARMERS DOING WHAT HES LEGALY OBLIGED 2 DO AND BECAUSE IT GOT AWAY THEY TRY AND NAIL HIM. WANK THT.HE SHOLD TAKE HIS RIM FIRE OUT WE HIM AND SHOOT THE DOGS AS THEY FK HIS LIVELY HOOD UP.AND LEAVE EM IN FIELD 4 OTHER IRISPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS TWO C WHAT HAPPENS IF U DONT WATCH WAT UR SHEEP MUNCHERS DOIN.. :gunsmilie:

Guest buster321c

Hiya Sean , sorry about your friends predicament , its a hard place to be in at the minute , but -

I don`t care who you are , or where you come from , EVERYBODY knows that a dog worring sheep is likley to end up shot .

If your not responsible enough to keep you dog under control anywhere , then you should`nt have one .

I would certainly like to know how the dog gained access to the sheep in the first place , and if its through a fence , then the farmer / site manager need to resolve this issue .

Nobody would like to shoot a dog , but the farmer and his land , should be respected at all times , and unfortunatly , the dog was wounded not killed .

In my opinion the only person facing charges , should be the dog owner who should be paying ALL the vet bills , and compensating the farmer for his losses .

Sadly , some owners are not as responsible as they should be , but in society the sad fact is , some people dont take care of their own children , never mind their pets , and not even a though of anyone else or their property . I hope your friend has a speedy , and fair result to these circumstances , atb mate Buster

theres a farmer down here who has no livestock, just land, and there is a public footpath going through one of his fields, i use abit, and the farmer told me and my mate if he sees us again on his land the first dog he sees he will shoot,

i know this is a different story because of his livestock but every innocent dog can turn, just like any innocent person,

personally if any farmer shot my dog i would set there barns on fire, the full lot!

No you wouldnt.... please please lets not go through all this again!! It has been said a 1000 times on here already. There are a lot of farmer lads on here also, and its there livelyhood...

No you wouldnt.... please please lets not go through all this again!! It has been said a 1000 times on here already. There are a lot of farmer lads on here also, and its there livelyhood...

Yes I Would Mate,

But Im Talking About The Farmer Near Me,

Were Walking On a Public Footpath ,

Doing Nothing Wrong,

& He Comes Over Threatening To Shoot Our Dogs ?

So Yes Mate I Would!

:gunsmilie:

He has all the right in the world to kill it.... What kind of a dog was it, just wondering?

And what kind of dogs go to this camp site!! Throat and gutts hanging out?? Have you ever tryed to rip open a sheep, ok, i dont need everyone telling me that a dog is capable of this, i do know, i feed my dogs on hearts from my mates slaughter house.

It takes a f*****g big and powerful dog to rip a sheep up. In days gone by when there were stray dogs everywhere, it was usually a pack of dogs that ripped up sheep..

And how many of these BIG NASTY dogs are running around on this camp site, (where kids will be playing) And i do not know a campsite in the country where the policy isnt all dogs to kept on the lead..

p.s, is your mate not a very good shot with a gun??

the dog was a ROTTY X

and a dog dosn't need to be "nasty" to chase shepp....its instinct, unless they are broken to stock

policy is to keep dogs on leads, just like it is policy to drive at 5mph and not make a noise after 11, but it happens.

my mate is a very good shot with a gun, but if you can hit a fast moving dog at 70 yards plus with a shot gun come and have a go yourself !!!!!!

Hiya Sean , sorry about your friends predicament , its a hard place to be in at the minute , but -

I don`t care who you are , or where you come from , EVERYBODY knows that a dog worring sheep is likley to end up shot .

If your not responsible enough to keep you dog under control anywhere , then you should`nt have one .

I would certainly like to know how the dog gained access to the sheep in the first place , and if its through a fence , then the farmer / site manager need to resolve this issue .

Nobody would like to shoot a dog , but the farmer and his land , should be respected at all times , and unfortunatly , the dog was wounded not killed .

In my opinion the only person facing charges , should be the dog owner who should be paying ALL the vet bills , and compensating the farmer for his losses .

Sadly , some owners are not as responsible as they should be , but in society the sad fact is , some people dont take care of their own children , never mind their pets , and not even a though of anyone else or their property . I hope your friend has a speedy , and fair result to these circumstances , atb mate Buster

the dog jumped the fence ( even when it was injured)....but as you say mate its the irresposible owners that fcuk it up for everybody

cheers buster

sean

Its this in a [NUT-SHELL] if you take your dog-dogs in the countryside, you keep them on a lead. A Farmer or Landowner, [CAN NOT] Shoot your dog-dogs if on a lead FACT. If he did he shoot while on there leads , he would be in DEEP SHIT, and it would cost him a load of money[through the courts]. :yes:

Guest foxyjo.

How sad Sean, I do hope your friend gets a satisfactory conclusion.

It's a natural instinct in a dog to hunt - to chase what will run, and unless it's under control, you don't know how any dog will react. I trust my dogs 100% when I am there....I would never give them the opportunity to make the decision themselves, and I believe that ANY dog is capable.

I have seen both sides of this argument, a friends 2 dogs turned sheep killers...broke her heart, it was her husband who shot them. Absolutely the right decision. It's worth adding that these are country people who kept livestock themselves and keep working dogs. It IS desperately sad for the dog, but it's not always irresponsible people...

And I have been there after a dog has savaged sheep. Not pleasant. It is any farmers right to protect his livestock and his livelihood. I would back your friend to the hilt Sean. :yes:

A pity he didn't get kill the dog outright. The law is a funny thing. Another friend of mine owns a saw mills, and the chap who insures them told him, if ever one of the workmen fall and injure themselves..."pick the bugger up and put him back through...a dead man is easier to deal with than a live one!" I guess in a way, that applies to your friend.

And Shooter08 - always get your revenge on the person who did you wrong...with something like a barn fire, you never know what or who else you may hurt... :thumbs:

cheers foxy

my mate said that to the police

"fetch the dog back here and i'll finish it off"

i know he was angry.......but that would of been the best conclusion.

sad that any dog has to be shot ...................... but equally sad that sheep end up dead to.

cheers

sean

Edited by SEAN3513