I didn't expect to shoot another Fox in June, but......... :laugh:

I had a chat with the farmer that has just cut his fields yesterday and he said they would be out from about 5pm picking up the grass they had cut two days earlier. Out from 5 until dark he said.

Another good opportunity for me to try my hand at nabbing another Fox. This is a rare time of year when I can drive around, the fields are dry, the grass is short and I can happily plod along in the car. Which is what I did.

As normal, rifle, ammunition and this time the SLR went in the car. Still using the HMR as I haven't had the chance to get that fecking .222 sorted :angry:

I left around 9 as it was still very light, the farm is 30 seconds away, I drove down the rough lane slowly just in case something was lurking along there, as it often is. Nothing this time but not to worry.

I pulled into the gateway of a field that had been lifted and drove all the way up the hedgerow, its a long field this one and it was gently sloping. Nothing in this field at the moment. I went to see if they were still collecting, I couldn't see or hear them and sure enough they had packed in for the night. :)

I drove back into the same field, loaded the magazine of the rifle and continued down the other side of the field, to a gateway, into another. Nothing here either. Two fields down, three to go.

Back out of this field, into the same long field, back to the top and through yet another gate, look right, nothing.

Look left...and......a dark "thing" just by a gateway about 60 yards to my right, I didn't get a clear glance at it, but it was only likely to be one thing. I pulled through the gateway, out into the field and down the side of the rows of grass still waiting to be collected.

There is a bend in the hedgerow and the field around the gateway where i'd seen the Fox, this also happened to be the way they rows of grass bend, so I couldn't see anything until I came to within 60 yards of him. I spotted something sitting up almost against the fenceline, he was a dark one.

A quick slide of the bolt, fresh round in the chamber and a clear shot at his head, "Phhhhhhhhhing...............pop" down he went without a quiver. Which is where he stayed :yes:

On closer inspection, he was normal colour on his front quarters and head but had a dark brown rump, like a smooth patch of brown all the way along his back. Two in three days is pretty good for me and around here, was pleased at this point :D

I continued into the other fields, and re-circled them all before heading home. I didn't see anything but was quite content enough with the one :yes:

A few pictures...

KatesFlowes410015.jpg

Up against the edge of the trees he was.

KatesFlowes410013.jpg

Oh and why the long face :laugh:

KatesFlowes410024.jpg

ATB

SS :thumbs: