coppiceing

fathom

i've been into longnetting now for the last couple of years and i'm hooked, still a novice but i'm always learning and thats the main thing. i prefare using the traditional set up as i feel its more of a personnal touch. in my eyes it hold's the mystery of the long net to the eyes of those who dont know how. i use the basket system for ferreting a good job it is to and will admit that the fixed pole method deminstrated in glenn waters vid a legend he is to is a lot quicker to use but i sill prefare the traditional method for the very reason that on a blowy night running your twine along the headge one can only wonder if someone 100 years ago was running his net along the very same hedge using the very same method.

Back to the question in hand i know the reason for coppiceing bt is there a certain method and a certain time of the year for doing so. is there a certain time of the year for cutting your pegs and walking sticks?

yours in sport

Fathom.

i've been into longnetting now for the last couple of years and i'm hooked, still a novice but i'm always learning and thats the main thing. i prefare using the traditional set up as i feel its more of a personnal touch. in my eyes it hold's the mystery of the long net to the eyes of those who dont know how. i use the basket system for ferreting a good job it is to and will admit that the fixed pole method deminstrated in glenn waters vid a legend he is to is a lot quicker to use but i sill prefare the traditional method for the very reason that on a blowy night running your twine along the headge one can only wonder if someone 100 years ago was running his net along the very same hedge using the very same method.

Back to the question in hand i know the reason for coppiceing bt is there a certain method and a certain time of the year for doing so. is there a certain time of the year for cutting your pegs and walking sticks?

yours in sport

Fathom.

Traditionally the winter months was the time to cut sticks as the sap was at it's lowest then, also the long straight wands are more visible to the naked eye. In reality........if you see a good stick or potential long net peg then cut it anyway....otherwise someone may beat you to it. I am lucky in as much as i have a lot of hazel that only I have access to and this i try and use in rotation. With careful management i have a constant supply of walking stick shanks and long and purse net pegs. ;)

its widely excepted that you cut your pegs between October and Feb due to the lack of sap in the trees and bushes. However, and i may be told im wrong but here goes.

I have cut pegs in all the months throughout the year and not had any problems with them spliting as long as you dont dry them out to quickly heres how i have done it for many years now after cuting early pegs

1, once cut to length DONT cut the little twigs back too short as when they dry they shrink back and if cut too short they will sit lowwer than the peg itself causing a weak spot.

2, add the point and round the top whilst green and first cut, as this is much easyier than when dry.

3, tie them in bundles and submerge them in the garden water butt for a few days to becom saturated with the water, doing this causes the water to be drawn in and the sap is pulled out as the water drains and evaporates.

4, leave them in a dry shaded place out of direct sunlight and do not heat dry. leave them bundled for a few weeks and then untie them and swap the inside pegs for those on the outsied, rotate every few weeks.

Of course some will be no good, but that happens with those cut in season so to speak. I was taight this by the old chap who taught me longnetting years ago ad when he was telling me about this cutting in season malarky this was his answer.

"Back in the day we were long netting all year, what would we do if we suddenly found we were running short of pegs? we wouldnt not go out we would go cut some more and if be use them green being mindfull of how bendythey could be"

when you think about it they still caught rabbits way before the modern kit was on the market, so it must have worked for them surely?

edited to add, was typing when rolf put up his post, sorry if ive gone over what has allready been said ;)

Edited by mole catcher