12 bore solid slugs (brenneke)

Guest MickyB

Guest MickyB

Hi all,

In the past ive put solid slugs through my semi-auto for shooting fox on the lamp when they come in to close, and dispatching deer. But i was recently asked if they could be fired from a choked gun of 1/4 and open, and to be honest im not sure.

Does anyone know if the slug would damage the choke or the barrel end, and if so, what size choke is the limit?

Hope this makes sense........ thanks in advance!

Micky

Hi all,

In the past ive put solid slugs through my semi-auto for shooting fox on the lamp when they come in to close, and dispatching deer. But i was recently asked if they could be fired from a choked gun of 1/4 and open, and to be honest im not sure.

Does anyone know if the slug would damage the choke or the barrel end, and if so, what size choke is the limit?

Micky

you in uk??

what choke do you put them through the auto wid???

you FAC didnt think you were allowed solid slugs??

Guest MickyB
Hi all,

Micky

you in uk??

Yes im in the UK, and I have the shotgun and ammo on my FAC, I take out the choke before firing.

I've seen something along the lines of "For Ball" stamped on barrels, but I reckon that was for spherical balls, perhaps like those in the pink Home Guard cartridges of WW2.

I think the modern slugs may be made so that they will pass through any barrel even if choked.

Guest MickyB
I've seen something along the lines of "For Ball" stamped on barrels, but I reckon that was for spherical balls, perhaps like those in the pink Home Guard cartridges of WW2.

I think the modern slugs may be made so that they will pass through any barrel even if choked.

Thats what ive been told as well, just dont know for sure, and I want to be 100% before trying one through a nice side by side! cheers,

Hi all,

Micky

you in uk??

Yes im in the UK, and I have the shotgun and ammo on my FAC, I take out the choke before firing.

Take out the choke before firing? :icon_eek: Thats pretty dangerous Mick!

Depends really on what the size of the slug is, if its tight fitting then as open as possible, but undersized slugs such as the 16 bore slug loaded into a 12 bore, what most tend to be, can be fired through Full if desired, though not advised. I have read that if a slug is put through a tighter choke it can make it less accurate than if put through an open choke.

So in answer to your question about your friends gun, if he has "normal" slugs i.e. those that are not snug fitting, they are safe for use in his gun.

I'd also advise you to put a choke in the barrel of your Auto before you fire any more slug or you could end up with a banana peel situation! Even if the choke is Cylinder or 1/4.

SS :thumbs:

Guest MickyB

Hi SS,

I can see now my first post was written wrong.... its not that there is nothing in the gun end, but I put in the one that is probably classed as 'open' which I reffer to a pretty much unchoked... its the one that is the widest anyway.... and ive never had a problem, ive put nearly 4 boxes through it now, (100 shells). I can see how what i wrote could have been taken, but I wouldnt leave the threading exposed and fire a shot.

The bloke at the store wasnt too sure about which chokes the slugs would safely pass through, but seemed to think that it would go through any...

The cartridges I use are winchester super X, 1 oz rifled slugs.

Hi SS,

I can see now my first post was written wrong.... its not that there is nothing in the gun end, but I put in the one that is probably classed as 'open' which I reffer to a pretty much unchoked... its the one that is the widest anyway.... and ive never had a problem, ive put nearly 4 boxes through it now, (100 shells). I can see how what i wrote could have been taken, but I wouldnt leave the threading exposed and fire a shot.

The bloke at the store wasnt too sure about which chokes the slugs would safely pass through, but seemed to think that it would go through any...

The cartridges I use are winchester super X, 1 oz rifled slugs.

I thought you may have meant something like that Mick but took it at face value :thumbs:

Just had a quick peek on Winchester's website and as normal, theres no detailed information on their ammunition :laugh:

If you stick to open as possible then you wont have any problems, same with your friend, Cylinder is open anyway and 1/4 isn't so restrictive that a slug would damage his gun :thumbs:

Guest MickyB
just cut a cartridge open and see of the slug will go through the barrel at the desired choking

I checked the slug through my chokes, and it fits through all of them, bit tight in the full mind.... so should be fine in my friends gun, and il stick to open chokes in mine... thanks for the advice everyone. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably resurecting a forgotten thread so my appologies.

The simple truth to the question of will a Brenneke rifled slug go through a choke is yes. The Brenneke slug was designed for this from the start as are all rifled slugs, although the optimum choke for slug use is usually cylinder or improved cylinder. The purpose of the rifling has been debated for years as to whether or not it makes a slug spin and the truth is it is there to allow a solid slug to swage safely through a choke and not to make the slug spin like a rifle projectile. Never, Never shoot a slug from a multi-choke with the choke removed, not only is this extremly dangerous but it will b****r up the threads, ruin you shotgun, and will play havoc with accuracy.

Take a look at My Website and follow the links to articles and faq where I have tried to answer the most commonly asked question from UK shooters interested in this minority and much misunderstood sport.

Regards

Badger

www.buckandslug.co.uk