What is longnetting?

adam s

What is longnetting?

Long netting is a rabbit control method usually done at night, you go in quietly between the feeding rabbits and their burrows and erect a long net, you then walk the long way round to get behind the feeding rabbits and walk towards them making them head for their burrows, they then get trapped in the net, thats a basic explanation but its new to me and would highly recommend Long netting - peg to Peg by Molecatcher on here

Best wishes

Cliff

Buy A Book That Tells You EveryThink

As i said, peg to peg, brilliant book on long netting, still feel free to ask questions though,most people on here are very helpful with constructive advice ;)

Atb

Cliff

Sounds fun, I thought it might have been a net that you put around the hole warren and flush them out with ferrets.

They are purse nets mate,

Atb

Cliff

I know what purse nets are i have them, I just thought a long net was a net that was put up around the whole of the warren to stop the rabbit escaping from that little area.

Sounds fun, I thought it might have been a net that you put around the hole warren and flush them out with ferrets.

They are purse nets mate,

Atb

Cliff

I know what purse nets are i have them, I just thought a long net was a net that was put up around the whole of the warren to stop the rabbit escaping from that little area.

Put a search into youtube, it has a few long netting videos to give you some idea ;)

Atb

Cliff

Longnetting is (for me) The sport of walking 2 miles to a field, tangling a net beyond recognition, tripping over wire in the dark and getting a hole under my arm from a sharp hazel pole...Then walking 2 miles home again, with the brilliantly tangled net, even heavier because its wet, a very bloody arm pit, no rabbits and a bad mood. Far from the romantic tales of Harold Wynman....But I will learn!

Edited by Pembshunter
Longnetting is (for me) The sport of walking 2 miles to a field, tangling a net beyond recognition, tripping over wire in the dark and getting a hole under my arm from a sharp hazel pole...Then walking 2 miles home again, with the brilliantly tangled net, even heavier because its wet, a very bloody arm pit, no rabbits and a bad mood. Far from the romantic tales of Harold Wynman....But I will learn!

ouch :icon_eek: how did you get it stuck in you arm pit?

sadly thats many longnetters realities of night time long netting. And yes adams you are right about using them whilst ferreting as to be honest i thnik you will find thats how many use their long nets and very efective it can be also. There are plenty of short films on you-tube showing folk using longnets during the day, but just be carefull you dont get taken in by some of the poor working habbits that many seem to have.

If you search the longnetting section on here yyou will se theres loads of advice offered on all types of questions regarding the nets by myself and many other members who are all experianced longnetters so the answers to all your questions are there somewhere. You just need to go looking.