toe injury advice

Guest mucker

after some advice from anyone experienced with foot/toe injuries.

i have a lurcher a pup about 5 month old injured a front middle toe running around the yard.

i thought it was broken as it seemed to be swollen but out stretched as if laying flat.

i took her to the vets, this is a month back, he said its not broken but she may have some permanent ligament damage to it.

he said her toe may stick out a bit but will not affect her running.

well it sticks out plenty :D ,seems to be flat with like a lump where the front toe joint is.

im not up on foot injuries.

anyways although shes running around the yard etc and there doesnt seem to be any problems with it.

i cant help thinking it will be a hinderance when she starts running game and being tested with it sticking out like that.

is anyone familiar with this kind of injury? advice appreciated.

it sounds as if the tendon that runs under the toe has gone and that the joint has "knocked up". it was unlucky/unusual to suffer this type of injury as a pup. both are reasonably common in working dogs, depending on the ground run on & dogs feet, and shouldn't overly compromise a their ability. in future as soon as pos ice knocked up toes & massage for a few days as this seems to minimise swelling in the short term and so reduces longer term deformity. as to the tendon due to the poor ability of repair of such tissue resolution is doubtful if it has been seperated/cut. i had a saluki x that cut the tendon on the flint of the south downs but he went on to be a reasonable courser inspite of a dropped toe.

Guest mucker

cheers lads puts my mind at rest im having a job staying out the vets this year,

can do with out it :good:

why im here ive seen plenty of people on the sites have to have toes removed on their dogs,what kind of toe injury results in that needing to be done? im assuming it has to be breaks but would have thought it be easier to fix cheers.

top tip for any toe injury .... if the toe starts to swell the take the nail off right back to the nail bed ... this will release the blood tahgts building up and stop the toe from calousing ..........

Guest mucker

cheers socks i remember the same tip years back but forgotten it till your post,

too late for it now the tow looks like a marble :good:

Edited by mucker