How many pegs will I need?

I've recently had the opportunity to aquire a 50 yd 6z traditional longnet. How many pegs will be required for this net? I am a complete novice and know bugger all about it, bar that it is an interesting method that I am becoming increasingly interested in trying my hand at.

Thanks,

Coneytrappr

You will need at least 11 pegs thats one every 5 yds on flat ground. but a few more may be needed on uneven ground where you may need to put more pegs in to keep the nets foot line on the ground.

Hope that helps.

TC

Edited by tiercel
I prefer one every five yards myself, mesh seems to sag to much with one every seven yards, so I'd go for eleven on a 50yrd longnet. ;)

:yes::thumbs: Although it does come down to the amount of tension you can put on the running lines when setting the net. The more tension you can put on the lines the further apart you can set the pegs.

That said if i were expecting a big bag I would go down to 4 yards even. As you will be surprised how much even 3 rabbits hitting a net in a short distance will pull the headline down.

TC

I prefer one every five yards myself, mesh seems to sag to much with one every seven yards, so I'd go for eleven on a 50yrd longnet. ;)

:yes::thumbs: Although it does come down to the amount of tension you can put on the running lines when setting the net. The more tension you can put on the lines the further apart you can set the pegs.

That said if i were expecting a big bag I would go down to 4 yards even. As you will be surprised how much even 3 rabbits hitting a net in a short distance will pull the headline down.

TC

True...if there too far apart, even one rabbit rolling over in the net when hes caught will pull the net quite low to the ground....

• 1 month later...