shore fishing

i`m after a bit of advice i`m thinking of doing a bit of shore fishing on the lincs coast - any one know of any good spots ? all new to me :icon_redface: so what type of tackle will i need rod ,reel,line, - bait, cheap place to set myself up with gear, what if any kind of fish would i be likely to catch ?tide times any advice will help , i watched some lads fishing last yr and i promised myself a go at it .. thanks in advance ..

Edited by the_stig

Depends If The Place Your Fishing, " Is Fishing ",

Anywhere In The Surf Should Get You, Flattys, Bass Etc,

People Say All The Big Fish, Cod Etc. Are Far Out,

Ive Had Some Pretty Nice Fish Just Over The Surf,

Just Do Your Best,

Cant Do Much More!

Let Us Know How You Get On Mate,

Good Luck!

:drink:

saw lads catch fish at huttoft last year flat ones :hmm: i really fancy it but it`ll all be new to me - once i`ve got the gear i`ll just wing it see how it goes not till july but i`ll keep you posted .

Fished at Huttoft quite a few times in winter for cod, etc, and for smooth hounds in the summer, best time of day is the 1st 2 hours of the flood tide in the evening as the fish come closer in to feed, look at the beach when the tide is out and you will see gulleys in the sand, this is where you want to be casting to. (appx 30->50yds)

For flatfish, eels, and the occasional bass the best bait is lugworm with a tippet of mackeral, for smoothhounds you will need strong gear, these are basically small sharks and go off like the proverbial rocket if you hook one, best bait for these is peeler crab or hermit crab, strip of mackeral.

There are too many tourists during the day to catch much, and at night time be aware there are a few anal sphincters wandering about.

Fished at Huttoft quite a few times in winter for cod, etc, and for smooth hounds in the summer, best time of day is the 1st 2 hours of the flood tide in the evening as the fish come closer in to feed, look at the beach when the tide is out and you will see gulleys in the sand, this is where you want to be casting to. (appx 30->50yds)

For flatfish, eels, and the occasional bass the best bait is lugworm with a tippet of mackeral, for smoothhounds you will need strong gear, these are basically small sharks and go off like the proverbial rocket if you hook one, best bait for these is peeler crab or hermit crab, strip of mackeral.

There are too many tourists during the day to catch much, and at night time be aware there are a few anal sphincters wandering about.

thanks for the advice and the warning :blink: what are the flat fish ? are they edible ? any idea what it`l cost me to get set up saw a beachcaster set up on ebay 25 notes dont look up to much ..

thanks for the advice and the warning :blink: what are the flat fish ? are they edible ? any idea what it`l cost me to get set up saw a beachcaster set up on ebay 25 notes dont look up to much ..

Don't get it from e-bay, unless you know what you want. Go to a shop and they will help you. You don't want a broom handle to fish the surf, it won't make it fun, a decent Bass rod would do and it will still catch you smoothhounds.

Huttoft isn't bad, chapel point is good as well but you've just about missed out on the cod for this season, bass are just starting to come in at cleethorpes, we were out on the boat last week and had a couple of late whiting, 2 cod but they're geting scarcer now, a few flatties and a couple of smoothounds. You want to go to the tackle shop at cleethorpes, you'll get a lot more help and a better set up than ebay.

You want to go to the tackle shop at cleethorpes, you'll get a lot more help and a better set up than ebay.

I will second that about cleethorpes angling centre, ask for Bob or Acko, they will sort you out with good gear for very little money, ( a lot better than the garbage off flea bay) i have bought all my gear from them over the years and always had a deal from them.

The Flatties are edible from this beach and if you fish when the crowds are gone, and night is falling they come in very close to the shore so long distance casting is not needed.

You could also try humberstone creek (nr Cleethorpes) i have had some cracking flatties from there on lug and mackeral cocktail, also if you try small bunches of "Maddies" (small ragworm), about 4 per hook, hooked through the head section, they certainly wriggle and the movement attracts the flatties from all over. you only need to cast 30 / 40 yds out, wait for knock on the rod tip, do not strike to early, let the fish take the bait properly.

I once caught 28 Flatties and 2 decent size Bass from here in the space of 3 hours one summers evening, another good place to try is the leisure centre, you can almost fish from the back of your car here and the street lights make it easier to tackle up / bait up.