ive resently been told that rabbits are being hit by some kind of flu (nothing to do with swine flu) but apparently they get wobbly and lose the use of their legs and then die...

has anybody else heard of this? :wacko:

and can i still put them in the freezer?

:signthankspin: Rob

never heard of it probs just mixy a piece of land i ferret on a beach thats over run with rabbits there must be in the thousands along the length of the beach but the last time i ferreted it i ferreted half the day and every rabbit had mixy and there must have been 20-30 lying about dead or almost there

never heard of it probs just mixy a piece of land i ferret on a beach thats over run with rabbits there must be in the thousands along the length of the beach but the last time i ferreted it i ferreted half the day and every rabbit had mixy and there must have been 20-30 lying about dead or almost there

i havent seen a single mixy rabbit... and im out most nights... and theres loads lying dead, which i recon is odd for this time of year

not heard of it neither but have notice a couple of rabbits on one piece of land acting a bit drunk. As in walking out of cover and sitting in front of me, took the little buggers out and burned the carcases. No signs of mitzy but best to get rid.

• 2 weeks later...
on the estate im at there are no rabbits, i'v been told there used to be loads but they got some chiness rabbit flu and died.

thanks for the reply,

i dont think its as bad as i though as there seems to be no new carcases! and still plent of the little buggers! :gunsmilie:

• 2 weeks later...
on the estate im at there are no rabbits, i'v been told there used to be loads but they got some chiness rabbit flu and died.

thanks for the reply,

i dont think its as bad as i though as there seems to be no new carcases! and still plent of the little buggers! :gunsmilie:

I thought I would look into the rabbit flu, I handle quite a few rabbits and started to think!

I have noticed a lot of young rabbits with mixy this year compared to other years.

Anyway it was back in 2006 that a man died of rabbit flu and no reported cases since.

Here is a link to a bit about it.

Rabbit Flu

Whats going to get us in the end I wonder Rabbit, swine or bird flu!!! :icon_eek:

4paws ( now wearing gloves)

thanks for the reply,

I thought I would look into the rabbit flu, I handle quite a few rabbits and started to think!

I have noticed a lot of young rabbits with mixy this year compared to other years.

Anyway it was back in 2006 that a man died of rabbit flu and no reported cases since.

Here is a link to a bit about it.

Rabbit Flu

Whats going to get us in the end I wonder Rabbit, swine or bird flu!!! :icon_eek:

4paws ( now wearing gloves)

hi all,

could this same rabbit flu be past on to ferrets? i feed mine rabbit !

Didnt a farmer die from rabbit flu a couple of years back?, very rare for it to transfer to humans it said at the time, but it obviously does exist

Rabbit Flu in humans

Although human fatalities from pasteurella are extremely rare, I feel that I should make you aware of the possibility.

A recent ‘Rabbit Flu’ fatality in Suffolk was reported. It was a particularly unusual case in that the victim was reportedly fit and well and only 29 years old. Prior to the 1940s, fit and young adults occasionally died from septicaemia, but with today’s modern antibiotics, the chances of this are minimal.

So how did this young farmer contract pasteurella? This was reported by the media, but apparently, the victim had a wound on his hand and then he went out and culled wild rabbits on his farm. The infection entered his blood stream via the broken skin of the wound on his hand

Am I at risk of catching pasteurella from my rabbit? If you are fit and healthy, the risk is catching pasteurella from your pet rabbit and going on to develop the fatal septicaemia that claimed the life of this young farmer is extremely small. You are more likely to die from tripping over your rabbit! It is always a sensible precaution to always wash your hands with soap and water after handling your rabbit. If you have any broken skin, then it is wise to cover it up with a plaster before handling your rabbit.

Although pasteurella is the most common cause of snuffles in rabbit, it can also cause ear infections, eye infections and pneumonia. The route of transmission is via nasal discharge from an infected rabbit as it sneezes.

Pasteurella is one of the most nasty and potentially fatal types of bacteria that affects rabbits. It also affects many other animals as well and it is very often fatal to guinea pigs. If rabbits live in close proximity to infected guinea pigs, then they should ideally be removed and housed well away from the infection until it has passed.

Pasteurella is also one of the bacteria which causes abscesses on a rabbit.