Hi there could anyone give me some advice i have my first lurcher a bedlinton whippet she is six months old and ive had her for three the thing is every time i take her out she is good off the lead until i go to put her lead back on she keeps running off and takes ages to get her back and she is very lively

Guest hunterside

most lurchers are food orientated try crouching down with a titbit in your hand( let her no first that you have food in your hand) and call her try this a couple of times it works for me or try a long tether like a washing line around her coller call her back if she runs off you can step on the line that will stop her dead hope it works for you .

my terrier used to do that, would head for the high hills every time it came to putting the lead on.....practice the "sit" command and pat her on the head everytime she does it and give a treat after shes got that down to a t, after a few days of practice, then you will be able to get a hole of the collar, then reward once the lead is on....hope this helps

Small treats, remaining calm with the dog, no shouting, or showing frustration.

Plenty of praise each time the dog does come to you.

Try placing your dog on the lead before the vehicle comes in sight, then when your near the vehicle plenty of praise.

Once the dog is in the vehicle, then a small treat. Make sure you fade this out when the dog eventually understands to go back into your vehicle.

The hand that feeds. You are the pack leader.

In a large enclosed area let the dog off the lead. Then sit down and call the dog over. When it eventually comes put it on the lead and give it a treat – then let if off the lead again. Keep doing this and the dog will stop thinking that every time it comes back to you its gets put on the lead and taken home. When the dog is ok at coming back in the yard try it outside. Keep calling the dog back to you as you walk and then let it go again. Don’t just call him back when its time to go home.

Eamonn

Lots of good advice above, my Dalmation X Bearded collie was a bugger for this as a pup, i tried everything, weeks and weeks of attempts for no advances. In th ened i took her to a remote place with zero traffic and went for a walk. As we approached the car and i got the lead out she started going down on her front legs, wagging her tail . . . .i totally ignored her, got in the car and drove off! Her face was a picture, she paniced and came flying up behind me, i stopped the car opened the door and she couldn't have got in any quicker! Never had a problem since!

I will add that i did this in a totally safe way and with NO other traffic that could cause her injury.

Hiding whilst on a walk is also a good trick, young dogs will naturally want to be with you and get scared when your out of sight, more often than not they come flying back to look for you and go nuts when they find you.

The comment above about practising your recall and rewarding with strong smelling treats, all the way round they walk, is very true. I call pups back every 2/3 mins when walking, you need to nail the recall so you are always in control of your dog. Good luck.

Edited by Hannah4181

The way i trained my beddy /whippet was everyday play the recall game with him & just enforce that you are the best thing in its life. No matter how much fun he could have by himself when he came back to me it was always fun for him. Some folks might think im mad by this next statement but it works. Ive always acted to the dog as a dog. If i tell the dog off i use the tones in my voice :angry: . Very low tone means once more boyo. Then if he still wont listen i growl at him :icon_redface: . He then wont step over that mark. So through his early training he now see's me as top dog (i hope) & when ever i call him he always come's back. My dog has learnt that the lead means good things also so if i call him & take the lead out of my pocket he wants to wear it. I dont understand why! I hope this kinda helps a little mate

Andy