Long net making

Made my first long net. Sort of copied someone's.

What I used

Ply 210/12

Mesh 3-1/2 inch

Depth 100 meshes

I cut the bale into four pieces long ways and ran a cord top and bottom (each piece that is)

Out of a 50 mtr piece I got a 30 mtr (pace) piece of long net. I will get four of these if I don't join any together.

Does this sound right eg. adequate baggin etc.

I tried it out tonight ran it around a warren (had to use some other long net to get right round would have been 50 mtrs right around approx. The ferrets pushed a rabbit out and it got caught in my piece of nett no problem.

I am a beginner.

Thanks Mike

Sure is mate, you will take manyer rabbit this way. Have caught a few since i have gone to the longnets. Especially the quickset method, Myself havent used traditional.

Love it to death

:clapper:

I some times use the long net when ferreting because at some place it is better.

How much did it cost to make your net :good:

e636e694.jpg

See on a night time when your getting large numbers of rabbits your always better off with traditional nets. As they hold rabbits a lot lot lot better than quickset.

During the day quickset is fine as for a starter its less to carry (just one basket) (then your ferret box, spade etc..) You are standing by the nets during the day so rabbits arent sitting there for long anyway.

I use a mixture of traditional & quickset nets. both day & night. I remember longnetting a stone wall in a rough field during the day with traditional nets and getting a nice bag for my troubles.

When your poaching on shit hot land you must use traditional nets as they are cheaper to replace :D

I like using the quicksets during the day when ferreting and the last time i used them for the ferretign i took 18 rabbits in about 2 hours. I also missed a few because the nets werent long enough to "curve" back into the hedge. Giving the bunnies a gap at one end.

burnrigg18.jpg

I personally at the minute have 1x 50 yard quickset and 2x 50 yard traditional. Which im planning to make up another four 50 yard nets (2 quickset 2 traditional)

50 yard nets are the right size for traditional as it doesnt strain on your hand like the big 100 yarders do. If your using quickset it doesnt matter.

But for ferreting i like a couple of nets so i can have one either side of the dyke :good:

longnet910.jpg

Guest Frank
e636e694.jpg

See on a night time when your getting large numbers of rabbits your always better off with traditional nets. As they hold rabbits a lot lot lot better than quickset.

During the day quickset is fine as for a starter its less to carry (just one basket) (then your ferret box, spade etc..) You are standing by the nets during the day so rabbits arent sitting there for long anyway.

I use a mixture of traditional & quickset nets. both day & night. I remember longnetting a stone wall in a rough field during the day with traditional nets and getting a nice bag for my troubles.

When your poaching on shit hot land you must use traditional nets as they are cheaper to replace :D

I like using the quicksets during the day when ferreting and the last time i used them for the ferretign i took 18 rabbits in about 2 hours. I also missed a few because the nets werent long enough to "curve" back into the hedge. Giving the bunnies a gap at one end.

burnrigg18.jpg

I personally at the minute have 1x 50 yard quickset and 2x 50 yard traditional. Which im planning to make up another four 50 yard nets (2 quickset 2 traditional)

50 yard nets are the right size for traditional as it doesnt strain on your hand like the big 100 yarders do. If your using quickset it doesnt matter.

But for ferreting i like a couple of nets so i can have one either side of the dyke :good:

longnet910.jpg

Cheers Rabbit Hunter. :good: Great info.

Looks like ill be getting myself a long net. Are they expensive?

Thanks,

Frank.

e636e694.jpg

burnrigg18.jpg

longnet910.jpg

Cheers Rabbit Hunter. :good: Great info.

Looks like ill be getting myself a long net. Are they expensive?

Thanks,

Frank.

47 for a 50m long net

Hi Rabbithunter,.got to disagree with your appraisal of the 'fixed pole ' long nets...

WE catch a few thousand rabbits each season and find NO problems with the nets holding the rabbits.

Hello Mr. Warren. My nets must have just been shite then (Brinded's Nets)

I must say that i have seen it a few times when i have had a rabbit hit near center between two poles, the top line pulls down. But thats when i had the poles at 8 yards, i have now reduced to 6 yards.

Also, splicing the line of a quickset net is a right B@stard!!!!!

I am not "anti-quickset" as most of my nights adventures i have used the quickset, but feel that if i was using traditional i could have accounted for more bunnies.

Its only last season that i hed learned to handle traditional nets and im in search of a good "netting jacket" I've heard old donkey jackets are quite good.

One thing i would say is that if your getting a quickset nets, use grommets, as opposed to them rubber rings, as if you need to adjust the height of your lines, it just rolls down and takes some getting right again.

Although the grommets take a wee bit longer to attach, they are a lot better in the means of adjusting the height of your lines, particularly the bottom line.

Happy pegging

Hi Rabbithunter,.got to disagree with your appraisal of the 'fixed pole ' long nets...

WE catch a few thousand rabbits each season and find NO problems with the nets holding the rabbits.

Hello Mr. Warren. My nets must have just been shite then (Brinded's Nets)

I must say that i have seen it a few times when i have had a rabbit hit near center between two poles, the top line pulls down. But thats when i had the poles at 8 yards, i have now reduced to 6 yards.

Also, splicing the line of a quickset net is a right B@stard!!!!!

I am not "anti-quickset" as most of my nights adventures i have used the quickset, but feel that if i was using traditional i could have accounted for more bunnies.

Its only last season that i hed learned to handle traditional nets and im in search of a good "netting jacket" I've heard old donkey jackets are quite good.

One thing i would say is that if your getting a quickset nets, use grommets, as opposed to them rubber rings, as if you need to adjust the height of your lines, it just rolls down and takes some getting right again.

Although the grommets take a wee bit longer to attach, they are a lot better in the means of adjusting the height of your lines, particularly the bottom line.

Happy pegging

I think you have said it all regarding your own choice of 'Quickset Nets',... ;)

WE set at 5 yard intervals ,....and experience no problems....

Grommets,... :laugh::laugh: Yeh,...got to agree,....very handy idea,..wonder who thought of it.;) All the best,....... ;)

Edited by CHALKWARREN