No work at the moment so stalking it is .Pulled up at a place that i regard as hard stalking ,certainly the hardest place i go .The fields are big and the gateways are situated in the middle of the run of hedges ,making it very easy to bump deer as you approach them .Tried the wind and set off in a clockwise direction .I find the only way to stalk this place is very slowly and use the bins more than i usually would ,trying to scan a few fields ahead .Anyway ,spotted the tell tale flick of an ear and sat down to study it .It was a doe but i couldnt see if she had a buck with her due to long cover around her .Crawled in and it was apparent she was alone ,a pretty young doe heavy in young it appeared .Nice to see .There really was no other way other than to bump her so i did so as discretely as poss without alarming her unduly .Luckily she skipped through the hedge and over the boundary .

stalking014.jpg

Isnt she pretty :)

Edited to say 'oops 'for the poor pic that i thought was brill on the camera :icon_redface:

Onwards and into the next field and there in the left hand hedge was an obvious buck of some years by the grissled look of him .He was a good 200 yards away and sat down so a good think was in order to plan my approach.

The grass is now about a foot tall and awaiting the first cut silage but for my intention it was perfect .A straight crawl followed with me getting to within 90 yards on the range finder .As luck had it ,for me that is ,he stood and i thought for a minute the game was up as i was in full veiw of him , but he stretched ,emptied himself and had a pick at the hedge .There is an earth bank the other side the hedge so no worries there . Waited for the shot and down he went and never moved .

stalking016c.jpg

Gralloched him and moved on ,leaving him for collection later with the truck .

On the far boundary i saw a deer cross a gap in the hedge and could see it was a buck by the silouette.I stopped and sat down ,hoping he would show on my side .A few minutes went by and i saw the light blocked out of another hole in the hedge a bit further on from his last position and yes he was coming through to my side .Another elderly buck judging by the face and general appearance .Another poor head and so a stalk was on .Ranged him at 170 but he was on the hedge line with daylight around him ,not good but i could wait .He grazed to the right a bit then came out in the field and trotted almost out of sight in a slight depression with only his antlers on view .He disappeared altogether then .A shimmy to the right would give me a view into this dip so off i crawled through the lush grass .

Got about 20 yds when he showed on the far side of this dip .He was looking back at the hedge and i could make out a doe in the hedgeline .Seemed like eternity but he eventually turned broadside and presented a shot to which he collapsed but got straight back up again .I knew the shot was good so i watched in the bins as he tore off to the hedge and out of sight .I waited a good 5 minutes which seemed a lot longer believe me and then went to find him.The spot he went down on revealed blood and lung spatters ,re-aferming my first thought .The trail was sparse but by backtracking when i lost it ,i managed to find him a good 50 yds down the hedge and dead .No real need for the tracking as the grass gave it away but its good to keep your eye in for other ,more,different situations .The shot was good but these things happen.

stalking009.jpg

stalking013.jpg

Collected the two and saw another ,younger buck as i did so but he can wait ,im sure :D .

Edited by foxdropper

Alright mate,it's ok for some aint it? You don't find me out shooting instead of going to work ,how old do you think the first one was mate,not as old as the second was it? Did you check the teeth?

I can't shoot anymore for a while,cos the freezer and the fridge is full! I put the .243 in to have a new trigger(timney)today,he was going to do it while I waited,but,he dropped the spring,and,couldn't find it so,he's gonna do it and drop it out to me.....sooner rather than later I hope.Popped out for a nuisance fox earlier,I saw it twice,but,he just aint playing the game,so,I think a Rabbit kebab is on the agenda for tomorrow..........speak soon mate.........Martin.