Mk4s for grey squirrels

There was a thread on here some time ago about 'Squirrel Wars'. There was quite a bit of debate about some of the methods used but one caught my interest. On this TV documentary the pest controller was using Mk4 spring traps at the bottom of a wooden box with an open top. This looked to me quite an effective way to use the Mk4 for squirrels as it entered the trap head first downwards. The box could be mounted on a tree trunk up out of the way of interfering fingers and looked a bit like a bird box so may not attract too much attention. It had a hinged front for easy checking. Has anyone used this method first hand and is it as good as it looks. Also has anyone made any of the boxes, I could have a go at working the dimensions out by trial and error but if anyone would be good enough to share some box sizes that work for them I would appreciate it.

All the best

AF

I was one of the more 'noisy' contributors to that thread.

My main concerns were about the dispatch method used - but I think we've done that one to death (if you'll pardon the pun).

I'm very sceptical about these vertical type tunnels. Fenns are designed to jump up and grab the victim around the top of the body. If the target hits the pan head or top of body first, where is the trap most likely to catch? Around the bottom half of the body would be my guess, which is why the chap being filmed had a foul caught squirrel in one of those traps, and had to go back to his van to get an air rifle to dispatch it (all on camera).

Now if you were to make a wooden, bird box type of tunnel to use with a bodygripper that might be different. I can see that working very well. Wire tunnels (or cubbies as we seem to have to call them now) are very convenient, but I think a wooden box could be more attractive.

Edited by Matt the Rat

I didn't see the programme to which you refer, but in "Pest" magazine........the first issue Jan/Feb 09 showed pest controller Paul Parker from Northumberland using just such a box. I would not share Matts concern about a squirrel not going in head first........they always do in my experience.....at least i have never seen one BACK into a hole ;) My concern would be using the Mk4 Fenn...........I would much prefer to make the box that bit bigger and use a Mk6 or as Matt suggested.......modify a box to take a bodygrip.

I have just re-read tha article and looked at the pictures and the idea of the box is to hide the trapped squirrel from view apparently. The boxes are 9 in long, 8 in wide and 6 in deep, with a sliding front door, according to the article.

Rolfe. ;)

Thanks for the interest and suggestions. I like the idea of using a bodygrip too, it would almost certainly be a more effective catch but with the springs sticking out of the sides they would be a lot more obvious than a fenn in this type of box.

I have just dug my copy of Pest magazine out, I obviously missed this article when I first got it (don't know how though, it is a big article). There is a picture of a caught squirrel and the fenn appears to have very cleanly across the back of the neck. I am not sure what the double floor is for in the box? Another photo shows the top of the box with a slot at the back for the squirrel to enter. Perhaps a better idea would be a hole in the centre of the top to direct the squirrel strait down on to the trigger plate. 3 inch diameter hole?

All the best

AF

I would not share Matts concern about a squirrel not going in head first........they always do in my experience.....at least i have never seen one BACK into a hole ;)

Rolfe. ;)

The point I'm failing to make is that the Fenn is designed to work with its target crossing the plate horizontally, not vertically. If you imagine a squirrel hanging upside down and the action of the trap, it's going to catch across the middle/back end of the animal, not the head and neck; some of the time, if not all of the time - hence the foul catch on camera. They wouldn't put a picture of a foul caught one in the magazine would they?

With a magnum, it would make no difference. I think the spring being on the outside would not be a problem either. You could just extend the front of the box (and maybe the bottom) to hide the spring from view (if you are looking from below). You would also have the option of having an entrance hole at the top and bottom of the trap, making it more of a 'run through'.

Edited by Matt the Rat

Disagree entirely Matt........the front feet of a squirrel dropping vertically on the trap plate would mean the jaws of a Mk4 would almost certainly close around the upper chest cavity ......much more humane than around the neck in my opinion.

As i said...........i would much prefer the Mk6 or a bodygrip though to ensure a quick and humane kill. We will have to agree to disagree on that one mate. ;)

Rolfe.

I have to say that every squirrel or rat I caught going head first through a chewed hole in the top of a pheasant feed bin onto a waiting Fenn trap was a dead as can be

That's not to say that the BG couldn't be just as effective if used wisely

OTC

Why not use the standard horizontal wooden/artificial tunnels with a fenn or bodygrip.. why all the vertical mounted carry on?? Or if you really want something up a tree use a kania or a bodygrip with felt nails.. All suitably enclosed of course! :)

Why not use the standard horizontal wooden/artificial tunnels with a fenn or bodygrip.. why all the vertical mounted carry on?? Or if you really want something up a tree use a kania or a bodygrip with felt nails.. All suitably enclosed of course! :)

:clapper:

Totally agree with you there Ian.

If it ain't broke, why try and fix it?

The action of the Kania and the Bodygripper lends itself to vertical trapping.

I agree there are other ways of controlling greys but the point is to use the most effective and best method for the circumstances whilst still being legal and humane.

I like the idea of these vertical boxes for some locations as they would be a lot less prone to interference/vandalism/theft/malicious acts and complaints from bunny huggers.

I already have a load of Fenns so the outlay would not be much (Kanias are great traps but couldnt afford to put many of them out). I also think body grips are very effective but they are not as easy to set, need supports etc or arguably as versatile as fenns. Certainly not as simple to set while on a ladder half way up a tree. Any box or cubby would also need to be a little more complicated than the one under discussion.

I am not discounting the use of any legal method discussed or for that matter saying that any particular one is best I just think the greater the variety of methods you have available the better job you can do in any given circumstances.

My original question was has anyone used this idea first hand as there may be other issues with this method I hadn't thought about, other than personal preference.

Just my opinion.

All the best

AF