Holes?

Guest MOLLY

100% rat holes,the majority of which are unused by the algae around them.You may have a straggler moved in if new holes are appearing .Fill them in and see what opens up?Let the dogs do their thing on any fresh holes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MOLLY

Im still almost certain it wasnt rats, most of the holes were smaller than rat holes and some are very near the surface, plus there is no good food source etc. The dogs are not showing the same signs and interest they do for rats.

The garden was rotovated today (had to do it whilst i had the chance of lending one) so if they were not scared off ill see what tomorrow brings.

The farmer reckons its voles?

MOLL.

Im still almost certain it wasnt rats, most of the holes were smaller than rat holes and some are very near the surface, plus there is no good food source etc. The dogs are not showing the same signs and interest they do for rats.

The garden was rotovated today (had to do it whilst i had the chance of lending one) so if they were not scared off ill see what tomorrow brings.

MOLL.

no way is that voles mate there 2 big ...the holes that is .maby u have umpalumpas diggin around your garden at night ...bulls :good:

Guest MOLLY

MOLL.

no way is that voles mate there 2 big ...the holes that is .maby u have umpalumpas diggin around your garden at night ...bulls :good:

:icon_eek: What are they like....will my little ratting dogs be safe :blink:

Are they edible :D

MOLL.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MOLLY

I am now starting to become obsessed :wacko: . The garden was rotorvated and it stopped for a while. But they are back.

Noticed some of my marigolds were not quite right from the lounge window...went out and the tunnel from this hole goes straight underneath them, causing them to move.....

mole3.jpg

Another smaller hole in the same vicinity, leading to more tunnels, this hole is more like someone popped its head out for a look rather than dug it out...if you know what i mean?....

mole4.jpg

Then there is my newly seeded lawn, its hard to capture on photo but the darker lines towards the back are actual ridges, like a tunnel underneath the ground...there were def not there last night!

mole.jpg

And the dogs have started to dig again

mole2.jpg

When i water the plants they start to sink into the tunnels.

Can moles do this if they feel threatened....just make tunnels without the mounds? Because this garden was full of mole hills till the dogs started to dig them up????

They are definately NOT rats.

MOLL.

Have a look at this, under 'signs of presence'

moles advice sheet

There are 2 types of tunnel: deep tunnels 5-20cm below the soil surface, the soil from which is pushed out onto the surface as mole hills; and surface runs where the soil is pushed up to form a ridge on the surface of the ground.

found it using google

Guest MOLLY

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john b @ Jun 13 2006, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Have a look at this, under 'signs of presence'

moles advice sheet

There are 2 types of tunnel: deep tunnels 5-20cm below the soil surface, the soil from which is pushed out onto the surface as mole hills; and surface runs where the soil is pushed up to form a ridge on the surface of the ground.

found it using google

Thanks John, the lawn intruder certainly sounds like a mole then :good: Ive been back out and there is now a very small mound there.

Unfortunately ive found more new holes which DEF wernt there when i checked earlier :shok::shok::shok: Most of these are either next to the wall or under or around plants?

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY

Where would i put the traps then ian, there doesnt seem to be any pattern without the mounds, and the other holes dont seem to be being used all the time?

Im gonna get a live mouse trap for the ones in the flower beds, i think its voles there...def moles in the lawn (a different part of the garden)

MOLL.