Can anyone tell me which type is the best layers and also has the best eggs? silly question I know but I have 6 Hen Silkie Bantams here and their eggs are pretty tasteless. I keep the silkies to start Hawk eggs off for me before I finish them off in the Incubator but do eat the eggs they lay too....

I now want to get a few chickens mainly for Good eating eggs and for the table, I used to get some Free range eggs off a old lady a few years back which was full of flavor and a good percentage double yolkers but have no idea what variety they was....

Any advice would be apreciated :thumbs:

Jasper

couple been mentioned warrens, black rock .. rhode island red .. interesting you use banties to bring your eggs on used to know a lad that used a couple of pair of fantail pigeons for the same purpose .. :icon_redface: i meant bringing eggs on ... for his racing pigeons its been a long day .. :doh:

Edited by the_stig

Mate

You need leghorns, they lay great eggs and plenty of them. Failing that any chicken with white lobes (roundabout where you'd expect to see ears on a human head) will be a prolific layer !! & yes I do keep leghorns myself

Taste wise, I reckon its down to what you feed the chooks not what breed they are. Our eggs are bloody great and we feed layers pellets (once they are 20 wks +) with about a handful of corn each day, dont forget good grit (oystershell is best) and loads of water. They really do benefit from being allowed to range as well. ALL egg production will be down a bit due to lack of daylight at the min

DONT forget protection from foxes ............ FOOKERs

Can anyone tell me which type is the best layers and also has the best eggs? silly question I know but I have 6 Hen Silkie Bantams here and their eggs are pretty tasteless. I keep the silkies to start Hawk eggs off for me before I finish them off in the Incubator but do eat the eggs they lay too....

I now want to get a few chickens mainly for Good eating eggs and for the table, I used to get some Free range eggs off a old lady a few years back which was full of flavor and a good percentage double yolkers but have no idea what variety they was....

Any advice would be apreciated :thumbs:

Jasper

Leghorns are good layers, brown. Mine are still laying now, down in numbers but still getting eggs.

all the top supermarkets use black rocks for the free-range so thats what i have ,come rain or snow :)

rhode island red(cock)X plymouth rock(hen) :thumbs:

I RAT A CHICKEN FARM JUST SPOCK TO THE FARMA HE SEAD THAT YOU ANT FAR RONG TRING TO GET THIS TO POST 3ED TIME LUCKEY....