Military "Style" Air Rifles...

I started this topic as some of you won't read the Rimfire, Centrefire, Shotgun section. It's in response to this thread, where the author has expressed a concern about the public image of the military styled rifle.

To bring the relevance to airguns, does the presence of the Gunpower Stealth and the Logun S-16, to name a couple, effect the way airgunners are perceived by the non-shooting public?

When someone buys an air rifle what makes them choose a military looking piece of kit, over something like an Air Arms S410 or Falcon FN19?

Is there any psychology to play over these traditionally styled rifles and does it attract a different mentality to shooting in general?

What benefits are available to a military styled rifle over the traditional version? Do they shoot better? Look better or is it the capacity for accessories that offers the attraction?

The military style rifle is growing in popularity yet to the non-shooting public this is a concern.

Thoughts?

some look good . most are take down rifles put in a small bag... not so look at him hes got a gun in a bag .

. i have not got one my self i went for a s10 bullbarrel carbine

even that at glance looks like you could kill elephants with so the farmer said when he first see it ...

any rifle with a silencer on it looks bit sniper , army ect

i think soon as they hear you have any gun . they say shoot things do you ect ect ya must be cruel then .... thats what one guy said to me at work i said i shoot pest then he said god . ended him there told him where to get off ...

Edited by celticwar

I see what you mean there, CW. Both examples are take down rifles and that capability makes them very discreet when you're moving to and from.

But Air Arms also make an S410 in a take down version and it's not military looking at all... also the S200 is quite small and is very discreet.

If you look at the silencers the Gunpower has one of the biggest silencers on the market. The Air Arms has a discreet aftermarket option that looks like a muzzle break.

I know I'm sorta playing Devil's Advocate but with the growing popularity of these rifles I'm just wondering what the attraction is?

I wouldn't say that it matters what your rifle looks like. People who are indifferent to shooting, aren't going to look at a certain type of gun, and suddenly become anti. People aren't stupid, they know what a gun does, no matter what it looks like.

I wouldn't say that it matters what your rifle looks like. People who are indifferent to shooting, aren't going to look at a certain type of gun, and suddenly become anti. People aren't stupid, they know what a gun does, no matter what it looks like.

Do you think that's the case though?

Are you sure that the non-shooting public don't draw the distinction between us and the likes of Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton? I'm not trying to play down these rifles. They're popular and they certainly work, it's just that alot of non-shooters see us as Walter Mitty types and we do absolutely f**k all to try and dispel that myth. We do, however, churn out rifles that can be misconstrued as military.

People aren't always stupid but most are ignorant and many will ask why do you want a gun to look like that.

a few years ago i thought i'd try a s16s so bought one second hand.when i went to pick it up i had no case to put it in so left the house with it in a bin back with maybe a few inches of barrel showing.

after traveling home and being in the house maybe 15 minutes a received a phone call from the wife of the person i bought the gun from telling me that the armed responce unit had just raided their house making her walk down her front garden,hands on head infull view of neighbours etc.the main road out the front of the house was blocked off both ways and the police searched the house even taking off the kick boards in the kitchen looking for weapons as some member of the public had seen me walking out with what they believed to be a 'machine gun'

i wasn't well pleased with all the attention caused be the 'military' style gun and got shot for something a little less intimidating.

An air rifle is an air rifle no matter what it looks like. As long as you abide by the law, in case above cover the gun apropriately and use it on a legally atained permision then the looks should not matter. To an un-knowing member of the public a rifle is a rifle so if they are gonna call the police I am sure they would do it regardless of the looks.

An air rifle is an air rifle no matter what it looks like. As long as you abide by the law, in case above cover the gun apropriately and use it on a legally atained permision then the looks should not matter. To an un-knowing member of the public a rifle is a rifle so if they are gonna call the police I am sure they would do it regardless of the looks.

that is a true statement. A rifle is a rifle no matter if it shoots pellets or bullets, it's up to us to be responsible, in the way we carry our weapons and shoot them. :gunsmilie:

a few years ago i thought i'd try a s16s so bought one second hand.when i went to pick it up i had no case to put it in so left the house with it in a bin back with maybe a few inches of barrel showing.

after traveling home and being in the house maybe 15 minutes a received a phone call from the wife of the person i bought the gun from telling me that the armed responce unit had just raided their house making her walk down her front garden,hands on head infull view of neighbours etc.the main road out the front of the house was blocked off both ways and the police searched the house even taking off the kick boards in the kitchen looking for weapons as some member of the public had seen me walking out with what they believed to be a 'machine gun'

i wasn't well pleased with all the attention caused be the 'military' style gun and got shot for something a little less intimidating.

Good story mate. :whistling:

Good story mate. :whistling:

made the local paper mate

Guest bigredbusa

well i have had about 10 stealths and the only reason why is they break down so all the bits fit in pockets and also the mods and tuning are so easy to do . looks wise i dont mind them , but i am thinking of something different for the daytime and that would be a AA410

10? :o

Why so many, if you don't mind me asking?

I know early Stealths were popular home tunes but what is it about that style of rifle that is popular? They're uncomfortable to shoot and appear to be generated for looks rather than anything else.

Guest bigredbusa

yeah i know im a fool lol but i would sell one and then realise how much i enjoyed them . nice and short to shoot from the motor and you can change the way they look , i think i just like playing around with em .

this was modded to hell / high flow valve , heavy hammer , longer barrel, saks silencer,800cc bottle, uprated spring etc.... the rifle itself cost me £70 as it was tatty and only cost me £150 for the bits so worked out to be a cheap gun

stealth007.jpg

like i said tho im quite taken by the thumbhole AA 410 so that will be my next rifle for daytime hunting but intend to keep a stealth for my night time walks :)