lurchers throat

Guest lurcherboy2008

YOU KNOW THE NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION IS REALLY SURPRISING. TRUTHFULLY ANYONE OWNING A PET OR WORKING ANIMAL SHOULD KNOW BASIC ANIMAL FIRST AID. AND WORKING DOG OWNERS SHOULD TAKE IT A STEP MORE MY BEING PREPARED WITH A FIST AID KIT ON HAND AT ALL TIMES. I PERSONALY HUNT IN THE WESTERN US AND A TRIP TO A VET CAN LITTERALY BE IMPOSSIBLE. DUE TO TERRAIN , DISTANCE ,WEATHER OR ANY NUMBER OF VERY REAL OBSTACLES INCLUDING TIME. A DOG CAN BE TORN FROM GAME ,BRANCHES OR FENCING AND AS FOR "A REAL DOG MAN" I FEEL IT'S YOUR DUTY TO BE ABLE TO RENDER PROPER FIRST AID AND STAPLING IF REQUIRED . BROKEN BONES SHOULD BE STABILIZED BUT THEN YOU HAVE THE TIME NEEDED TO REACH A VET. I HAVE HAD DOGS DISEMBOWLED THAT WERE SAVED BY THE SIMPLE ACT OF CLEANING,REPLACING, STAPLING AND MEDICATING. AND QUITE HONESTLY I RATHER HUNT WITH SOME ONE COMFORTABLE IN FIST AID FOR MY OWN SAKE. NOT SOMEONE THAT WILL SET THERE TELLING ME HOW BAD THE SITUATION IS AND HOW NICE IT WOULD BE TO HAVE A PROPER DOCTOR ON HAND. AT THE VERY LEAST HE WAS CONCERNED ENOUGH TO TAKE THE DOG TO THE VET AND WHEN THAT DIDN'T SATISFY HIM, SEEK ANSWERS HERE. FOR ALL THE NAME CALLING THAT GOT HIM. NAMES THAT SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THOSE THAT WOULD LEAVE THE DOG IN THE KENNEL TILL IT WASTED AWAY OR RECOVERED .

Fecking dam right.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU KNOW THE NEGATIVE RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION IS REALLY SURPRISING. TRUTHFULLY ANYONE OWNING A PET OR WORKING ANIMAL SHOULD KNOW BASIC ANIMAL FIRST AID. AND WORKING DOG OWNERS SHOULD TAKE IT A STEP MORE MY BEING PREPARED WITH A FIST AID KIT ON HAND AT ALL TIMES. I PERSONALY HUNT IN THE WESTERN US AND A TRIP TO A VET CAN LITTERALY BE IMPOSSIBLE. DUE TO TERRAIN , DISTANCE ,WEATHER OR ANY NUMBER OF VERY REAL OBSTACLES INCLUDING TIME. A DOG CAN BE TORN FROM GAME ,BRANCHES OR FENCING AND AS FOR "A REAL DOG MAN" I FEEL IT'S YOUR DUTY TO BE ABLE TO RENDER PROPER FIRST AID AND STAPLING IF REQUIRED . BROKEN BONES SHOULD BE STABILIZED BUT THEN YOU HAVE THE TIME NEEDED TO REACH A VET. I HAVE HAD DOGS DISEMBOWLED THAT WERE SAVED BY THE SIMPLE ACT OF CLEANING,REPLACING, STAPLING AND MEDICATING. AND QUITE HONESTLY I RATHER HUNT WITH SOME ONE COMFORTABLE IN FIST AID FOR MY OWN SAKE. NOT SOMEONE THAT WILL SET THERE TELLING ME HOW BAD THE SITUATION IS AND HOW NICE IT WOULD BE TO HAVE A PROPER DOCTOR ON HAND. AT THE VERY LEAST HE WAS CONCERNED ENOUGH TO TAKE THE DOG TO THE VET AND WHEN THAT DIDN'T SATISFY HIM, SEEK ANSWERS HERE. FOR ALL THE NAME CALLING THAT GOT HIM. NAMES THAT SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THOSE THAT WOULD LEAVE THE DOG IN THE KENNEL TILL IT WASTED AWAY OR RECOVERED .

Fecking dam right.

THANKS NICE TO KNOW NOT EVERYONE'S A IDIOT WITH A AGENDA

Guest lurcherboy2008

are you aiming this at me? if you are i havent just left the dog in the kennel

Fecking dam right.

THANKS NICE TO KNOW NOT EVERYONE'S A IDIOT WITH A AGENDA

Guest lurcherboy2008

cant be a post on here without somebody arguin or calling other people names can there tho thl is a good site with alot of clowns on here, this post is for HELP as iv never come across something like this before, so either help, or simply just feckoff, some good adivse on here tho, but 2ce as much clowns :thumbdown::whistling::whistling: and the bitch aint in the kennel just laying there shes cleaned 2/3 times daily with warm salt/water, now tonight i had some cikitrin powder off a mate i put some of that on her, in the morning ill give her a nice wash with warm salt/water again, if theres no pain there ill try and shave round the wound, then take her to the vet, so any of you who thinks shes in the kennel and havent had feckall to help her your just thinking wrong, im doing my best, nothing much more than that i can do i got people telling me stitch it people telling me not to feck sake what you want me to do? jus see what the vet has to say in the morning, and see how the cikitrin powder has done, no i dont expect it to heal overnight but well just see whats happend then go from there

thanks alot pegleg, i know a few good dog boys round by me who can staple, ill see what this vet says tomorro and if anything like the other fecker then ill have 1 of my mates to staple it, stapling is alot easyer said than done mind, think now how the feck can you put a muzzle on that to staple it? you simply cant, ill see what the vet thinks tomorro, shes had some cikitrin powder on her it dont hurt her or anything so if that stuff is as good as alot of people have told me then ill be over the moon, hoping to breed her soon too nothing will be happening tho if that wounds still open when she comes in season which is anytime soon :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

ANY WOUND CAN BE STAPLED IT MIGHT REQUIRE A LITTLE FINESSE BUT IT CAN BE DONE .IF THE EDGES ARE DRIED A "LIGHT" BRUSHING WILL OPEN THEM BACK UP A WOUND ON THE NECK IS ACTUALLY MORE IN NEED OF BEING CLOSED BECAUSE OF THE MOVEMENT . AS FAR AS THE TIME PERIOD THAT IS A CASE BY CASE STUDY. BUT IF THE SKIN HASN'T ANCHORED TO THE FLESH YET IT'S PROBABLY OK TO STICH. LEAVE A SMALL AREA OPEN FOR DRAINAGE THE LOWEST POTION. STAPLES ARE ALLSO SO MUCH EASIER TO APPLY THEN STICHES LESS LIKELY TO PULL THROUGH. MOST DOGS TOLLERATE THE STAPLING FARELY WELL. I DON'T KNOW YOUR DOGS PERSONALITY SO CAN'T SAY 100% IT WON'T NIP. ANTHER ISSUE IS I'M NOT AWARE OF THE PRODUCTS AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR SEDATING A ANIMAL OR IF THEY ARE AVALIABLE. MATBE SOME ONE ELSE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GUIDE YOU IN THAT . BUT I WOULD STILL PUT TOGETHER THE BEST FIRST AIDE PACK AVAILABE FOR THE FUTURE. BETTER PREPARED. GOOD LUCK.

Guest lurcherboy2008
thanks alot pegleg, i know a few good dog boys round by me who can staple, ill see what this vet says tomorro and if anything like the other fecker then ill have 1 of my mates to staple it, stapling is alot easyer said than done mind, think now how the feck can you put a muzzle on that to staple it? you simply cant, ill see what the vet thinks tomorro, shes had some cikitrin powder on her it dont hurt her or anything so if that stuff is as good as alot of people have told me then ill be over the moon, hoping to breed her soon too nothing will be happening tho if that wounds still open when she comes in season which is anytime soon :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

ANY WOUND CAN BE STAPLED IT MIGHT REQUIRE A LITTLE FINESSE BUT IT CAN BE DONE .IF THE EDGES ARE DRIED A "LIGHT" BRUSHING WILL OPEN THEM BACK UP A WOUND ON THE NECK IS ACTUALLY MORE IN NEED OF BEING CLOSED BECAUSE OF THE MOVEMENT . AS FAR AS THE TIME PERIOD THAT IS A CASE BY CASE STUDY. BUT IF THE SKIN HASN'T ANCHORED TO THE FLESH YET IT'S PROBABLY OK TO STICH. LEAVE A SMALL AREA OPEN FOR DRAINAGE THE LOWEST POTION. STAPLES ARE ALLSO SO MUCH EASIER TO APPLY THEN STICHES LESS LIKELY TO PULL THROUGH. MOST DOGS TOLLERATE THE STAPLING FARELY WELL. I DON'T KNOW YOUR DOGS PERSONALITY SO CAN'T SAY 100% IT WON'T NIP. ANTHER ISSUE IS I'M NOT AWARE OF THE PRODUCTS AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR SEDATING A ANIMAL OR IF THEY ARE AVALIABLE. MATBE SOME ONE ELSE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GUIDE YOU IN THAT . BUT I WOULD STILL PUT TOGETHER THE BEST FIRST AIDE PACK AVAILABE FOR THE FUTURE. BETTER PREPARED. GOOD LUCK.

i am prepared mate just not prepared for this type of cut, i have alot of good mates around here too who are fully prepared only live a few doors away 1 call i get what i want with them all good enough to me, pegleg have you ever used cikitrin powder?

Well here's my two penneth :tongue2: ...Imo if the dog is scratching the wound it's because it's infected. We've all done cuts to ourselves especially the ferret owners.. :whistling: and I'm sure some have noticed itching and heat around the wound, that's 'coz it's infected. The four hour rule that some one mentioned, rubbish! In the past when my dogs have torn skin on a Sunday for example the vet tells me to bring the dog in on Monday...If it's not bleeding and obviously only a skin wound. Where I am the vets use AB's to fight infections that might have got into an open wound. After a day or two the skin at the edge of the wound will die and then it will not grow together when closed up with staples/stitches, that's when the vet trims the skin back before stitching.

Maybe the vet was right in saying what he said, all we can see is a poxy little picture. If you're not happy lurcherboy get a second opinion.....From a vet!

Some interesting remedies suggestions in this thread, I've heard of the 'honey' treatment but not 'flour'...How does it work? Anyone know?

Good luck :victory:

Guest lurcherboy2008
Well here's my two penneth :tongue2: ...Imo if the dog is scratching the wound it's because it's infected. We've all done cuts to ourselves especially the ferret owners.. :whistling: and I'm sure some have noticed itching and heat around the wound, that's 'coz it's infected. The four hour rule that some one mentioned, rubbish! In the past when my dogs have torn skin on a Sunday for example the vet tells me to bring the dog in on Monday...If it's not bleeding and obviously only a skin wound. Where I am the vets use AB's to fight infections that might have got into an open wound. After a day or two the skin at the edge of the wound will die and then it will not grow together when closed up with staples/stitches, that's when the vet trims the skin back before stitching.

Maybe the vet was right in saying what he said, all we can see is a poxy little picture. If you're not happy lurcherboy get a second opinion.....From a vet!

Some interesting remedies suggestions in this thread, I've heard of the 'honey' treatment but not 'flour'...How does it work? Anyone know?

Good luck :victory:

thanks alot MikeTD (now thats what im looking for people to help not to argue) thanks anyway mate see what the vet has to say in the morning, the pic looks worse than what it is mate honestly but skin on the throat is so thin the vet thinks itll pull out of the stitch and leave a bigger wound, ill keep onto the vet tomorro and mention some of the things iv been told about on here im sure hell/shell tell me whats right and whats not :whistling::whistling:

Best not to mention all the hocus pocus suggested here just in case he gets the knock...lol...Just tell him you're worried and could he put your mind at rest :victory:

Gotta say though, it does look pretty fecking gruesome, at least it aint bleeding!

i am prepared mate just not prepared for this type of cut, i have alot of good mates around here too who are fully prepared only live a few doors away 1 call i get what i want with them all good enough to me, pegleg have you ever used cikitrin powder?

I DIDN'T SAY YOU WEREN'T PREPARED JUST SUGGESTING TO LOOK INTO A FIELD KIT WITH A STAPLER AND LEARNING TO USE IT. NO I'M NOT FAMILAR CIKITRIN POWDER. BUT ON OPEN WOUNDS THEY HEAL BETTER IF KEPT CLEAN AND MOIST NOW NOT BLOODY AND DIRTY BUT CLEAN AND MOISTENED WITH A ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT THIS WILL STOP THE INFECTION IF IT EXCEST AND KEEP THE FLESH MOIST SO IT DOESN'T CRACK AND ITCH. HELPING STOP THE SCRATCHING.SKIN GROWS BACK IN A MOIST INVIROMENT BUT SCAR TISSUE FORMS IN A DRY INVIROMENT IE SCABBING OVER THIS IS A MEDICAL FACT.BUT BACK ON TRACK CLOSEING A WOUND SPEEDS HEALING TIME A LOT.. .................AS A SIDE TOPIC DOES ANYONE USE ARTIFICAL INSEMENATION IN YOUR AREA AND IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE COST?

Edited by pegleg
Guest bobsuperdog

lurcherboy2008,all i am trying to say is this,a vet or the pdsa if you cant afford it is a phone call away,its free,your statment in your first post says the dog has been left like that for a few days now,in this country,you can not treat a dog in that condition,the law says you have to see a vet,we know it goes on,and i know a few lads that are very good at fixing there dogs up,but if the rspca was looking at this thread there is all the evedence they need for a crulty case,but i think the bottom line is,you where trying for a cheap fix of a wound that you can not handle yourself,THE PDSA IS THERE FOR YOU 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK ITS FREE.theres no need to show the world your dog.

Edited by bobsuperdog
lurcherboy2008,all i am trying to say is this,a vet or the pdsa if you cant afford it is a phone call away,its free,your statment in your first post says the dog has been left like that for a few days now,in this country,you can not treat a dog in that condition,the law says you have to see a vet,we know it goes on,and i know a few lads that are very good at fixing there dogs up,but if the rspca was looking at this thread there is all the evedence they need for a crulty case,but i think the bottom line is,you where trying for a cheap fix of a wound that you can not handle yourself,THE PDSA IS THERE FOR YOU 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK ITS FREE.theres no need to show the world your dog.

HOW WOULD HE CONTACT THE PDSA NEAREST HIM ?

Guest chook

Hi

Working in the care industry ive had to deal with a lot of open wounds, some not so nice,

i also do treat my own dogs when needed, Please do not use flour, that is recommended for stopping bleeding,

a wound needs to be kept moist that way the bacteria that helps the wound heal can do its job,

with any open wound, the first thing is cleaning, i normally use saline if i don't have any of that then salt water

is fine, pat it dry and try to clear the hair from round the area, if you cant get to a vet then, use eather honey or intrasite gel, then bandage over it,

make sure that bandage isnt to tight, otherwise you will cause more problems,

and check it every day, the intrasite gel you can get over the internet and is good stuff to keep in stock,

if its only a small wound than you can glue it, but it has to be done straight away,

once the sides of the wound start to heal, then they need to be trimmed back by a vet in order to be stitched

or glued, as you need fresh edges in order for it to come together,

if its a large wound then really a visit to the vets is in order, even if they don't stich it, they should at least give you some Ab's

to help stop infection.

everyone who owns a dog should really know there basic first aid, and have a small kit out with them, even if its just something

to flush the wound out and a bandage till you can get eather home or the vets.