Setting TheTalpex Mole Trap

Hi Rolfe, nicely caught Mole in that photo, as you look at your photo my catches tend to be literally in the middle or little back further!! I think I might have sussed why!! I think that I might have to much of the trigger pin going through the plate ( not fine enough tickle ) thus allowing the Mole to procede through the trap that little more before the trap fires off, your opinion or other,s would be welcomed best regards Steve

Yes that would explain it mate..........i set mine so fine that NO part of the pin protrudes through the hole....i want it to fire on a hair-pin trigger.

Regards........Rolfe.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rolfe, nicely caught Mole in that photo, as you look at your photo my catches tend to be literally in the middle or little back further!! I think I might have sussed why!! I think that I might have to much of the trigger pin going through the plate ( not fine enough tickle ) thus allowing the Mole to procede through the trap that little more before the trap fires off, your opinion or other,s would be welcomed best regards Steve

Yes that would explain it mate..........i set mine so fine that NO part of the pin protrudes through the hole....i want it to fire on a hair-pin trigger.

Regards........Rolfe.

Just had another thought.........maybe you are leaving the tongue a little too high above the bottom of the run, so the mole is getting right under before triggering the trap. Try keeping it a bit lower to the ground and i think this may solve the problem. ;)

Rolfe.

rolfe doesn't the soil u use to fill get between the plate trigger and the bar coming across , stopping the trigger plate going up fast and jaming? any little stone gets between it won't spring and stones also can jam the jaws open (even the tinyest) so watch out for them stones

Bry

Edited by BRY
rolfe doesn't the soil u use to fill get between the plate trigger and the bar coming across , stopping the trigger plate going up fast and jaming? any little stone gets between it won't spring and stones also can jam the jaws open (even the tinyest) so watch out for them stones

Bry

I set so fine.........the pin only has to move a fraction to trigger...........never yet had a problem with earth or stones stopping the firing of the trap.........if you use fine soil from a mole hill and don't compact it........it works well.

Rolfe.

Bry

I set so fine.........the pin only has to move a fraction to trigger...........never yet had a problem with earth or stones stopping the firing of the trap.........if you use fine soil from a mole hill and don't compact it........it works well.

Rolfe.

Well its always good to learn new tricks :thumbs: i will give it a go . Not at the 2 farms i'm on at the mo cause they are grey sticky clay ground :no:

Cheers Rolfe :clapper:

Bry

Well its always good to learn new tricks :thumbs: i will give it a go . Not at the 2 farms i'm on at the mo cause they are grey sticky clay ground :no:

Cheers Rolfe :clapper:

Bry

Take some with you from another area. I usually have a bucket or two of sieved soil in the back of the pick up. PJ

Hi Tommo , used to have the privilege of knowing a old vermin trapper many years ago , he use to press mud on both sides of the firing washer on the scissor trap he would say to me" ol mole, he knows between mud and metal, boy " best regards Steve
to save compressing soil on the washer type trigger on the mole traps , just take a pair of bolt cutters and cut at each side of the centre hole and the bottom drops out and you are now left with a couple of prongs , give them a wee file to smooth , and it works fine.by the way good clear pictures and info rolfe.
Hi Tommo , used to have the privilege of knowing a old vermin trapper many years ago , he use to press mud on both sides of the firing washer on the scissor trap he would say to me" ol mole, he knows between mud and metal, boy " best regards Steve
to save compressing soil on the washer type trigger on the mole traps , just take a pair of bolt cutters and cut at each side of the centre hole and the bottom drops out and you are now left with a couple of prongs , give them a wee file to smooth , and it works fine.by the way good clear pictures and info rolfe.

i remember you telling me this years ago snareman , so i tried it with both scissor and fenn mole traps , i found the mole was getting to far into the trap and hitting the trigger with its back/shoulders and getting hip caught, tried just a bit cut out and half cut out and got similar results and some ruined traps :D

I think its great that fellow trappers can swap tips and ideas in a forum like this.....we all can learn new tips and tricks to increase our catch rates...........so keep em coming........!

Anything that makes my chosen profession easier...........is very welcome.

Rolfe.

I think its great that fellow trappers can swap tips and ideas in a forum like this.....we all can learn new tips and tricks to increase our catch rates...........so keep em coming........!

Anything that makes my chosen profession easier...........is very welcome.

Rolfe.

your right there it is great i cant wait to look at the next post on mole trapping :notworthy:
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Rolfe , been meaning to put these photgraphs up for the last couple of days , i'm now getting better catches with the talpex trap as you can see in the first photograph, ( around the chest instead of around the abdomen ). This was using your idea of the v cut out into the ground, and me setting the trigger / pin on a fine tickle .

But i still prefer my duffus traps .

( second picture )

best regards steve ,

post-12109-1208607221.jpg

post-12109-1208607375.jpg

Edited by stephen58

Rolfe, so you place the set trap into the clean tunnel, and then filter in some loose dirt around it?

I do the opposite with my Out-o-Sights--cave in a section of tunnel, and fill it with loose soil, and then press the set trap down into that blockage until trigger plate rests on top of the soil.

And we do have to be very careful about not getting small stones in the soil, as they can interfere with the proper closing of the trap.

I'll have to take some pictures and get them up here.

Rolfe, so you place the set trap into the clean tunnel, and then filter in some loose dirt around it?

I do the opposite with my Out-o-Sights--cave in a section of tunnel, and fill it with loose soil, and then press the set trap down into that blockage until trigger plate rests on top of the soil.

And we do have to be very careful about not getting small stones in the soil, as they can interfere with the proper closing of the trap.

I'll have to take some pictures and get them up here.

Hi Steve,

Talpex on its way to you..............yes place it in the run and fill it with loose soil up to the top of the trap. i'll send pictures when you get the trap re-setting and placement.

Steve.