Bull cross lurchers (why)

Can anyone tell me what bull blood brings to a lurcher that another breed doesn,t. I am just wondering why anyone would use bull blood as opposed to say bedlington or wheaten or whatever. I am by no means an expert on bull cross dogs but i have owned one he was bred 3/4 greyhound - 1/4 bull on both sides and was a nice looking dog of about 26". However he was just not fast enough and lacked wind and that has been my experience of all the bull bred lurchers i have seen to date. so what is the attraction to them?? because they do seem quite popular. If they are bred say for larger quarry then surely the saluki cross is more than capable and more versatile. I look forward to hear from the many fans of this cross what they think gives this particular type an advantage over certain other types/crosses.

• Like 1

Obviously if someone was taking foxes regularly and needed a good strong sog the wouldnt go for a saluki. If i wanted something for rabbiting id maybe have a collie x or maybe a saluki. But i do agree bull x can be slow but it depends on the breeding as ive had half collie greyhound x bull greyhounds and can catch rabbits foxes with ease so it depends on what people like. :thumbs:

Guest bigredbusa

some may be slower but when they get there they do the biz and will give 100% , i dare say there may be a few others that could stick as much as a bullcross but there is style and there is STYLE

Can anyone tell me what bull blood brings to a lurcher that another breed doesn,t. I am just wondering why anyone would use bull blood as opposed to say bedlington or wheaten or whatever. I am by no means an expert on bull cross dogs but i have owned one he was bred 3/4 greyhound - 1/4 bull on both sides and was a nice looking dog of about 26". However he was just not fast enough and lacked wind and that has been my experience of all the bull bred lurchers i have seen to date. so what is the attraction to them?? because they do seem quite popular. If they are bred say for larger quarry then surely the saluki cross is more than capable and more versatile. I look forward to hear from the many fans of this cross what they think gives this particular type an advantage over certain other types/crosses.

that 3/4 bred dog wasn't fast enough,they are usually to fast for what i want (over runnning) i prefer bit more bull in them i suppose speed is everything to some people if thats the case pure grey

bull aids prey drive,gameness,tenacity,and there bite power and muscle mass seems to rub of on any dog there bred to, depends what you want they are good all rounders ,but have there faults as any lurcher does

it`s not just the strenth and gameness thats added with crossing to the Bull.

With my own bitch i`ve done all sorts of work, and although she`d never even seen a ferret till she was 4 year old, she soon sussed it out,

I`ve also won a few obedience competions with her, also you only have to look at Nightmans {from smoochers} bitch rosie, he won many a big lurcher obedience competion with her.

So I.M.O. they are just as capeable as any other lurcher. " In The Right Hands"

Yis Mars.

mabe your 3/4 needed to go to kenny w`s :whistling: for a service.

personaly i cant see the pointin using belingtons!!,purely because iv yet to see one put it nose to the ground never mind put it self to ground.

prey drive and determination is top of the list.alot of hare men are now seeing the advantage of this blood in their saluki stuff if they hunt smaller ground .a mate of mine was saluki grey lurcher only,wouldnt keep anything else at all when he seen a dog i bred run last year guess what happened.?he now has saluki/bull/grey for next season from this dog.each to their own as they say but for me it has to be bull :big_boss::big_boss: