Imagine: there you stand with your saluki or whatever, done the right thing, got it coming to tidbits indoors and in the park and in gameless fields. Pocket is full of sausage, chicken or whatever the dog likes. The first time ever rabbit is seen, dog slipped. Dog and longear dissapear into the shrub. Dog is seen hunting up in shrub and does not respond to the whistle associated to the sausage, chicken or whatever.

Then...

what would you do?

1) Nothing and wait till it comes back and give a reward then

2) Run down there and try to intercept it, luring it in with the tidbit

3) Turn you back and walk away to cover and wait for the dog to search for you followed by reward when it does come back.

4) run like mad and trying to punish it

L

guess first i would reward it :) , for turning into a lamp dog and getting me out the house :D away from our lass fixing hous ect then i would hate the f*cker :realmad: for getting me out of the house every time the wind was up making me cold and wet to the bone thinking of our lass in that nice warm bed then again with propper training it become a usefull day time dog :D getting out that nice warm bed to go look for them bigears :realmad: f*ck it ill stick to ferriting :search:

• 1 year later...

it would depend on how safe the area is. but ideally you want the dog to come back to you. main thing is don't keep calling / whistling the dog if it knows where you are because that just enforces the knowledge that it can ignore you. keep working on the recall hopefully with a little experiance it will come together as the dog matures and gets used to live game.

If I had a dog that would only respond to a food reward I would start again,a bit of fuss is more than enough reward for most dogs food rewards should be last resort only,food rewards = lazy trainer JMO