What Call

I was just discussing with a another shooter about electric callers and which call they use as the fox I shot last week I used vixen on heat and the randy dog fox came steaming in. I tried it as the mating season is close and I normally put rabbit distress on.

Same here Ad. I use the 'Vixen Mating' and 'Vixen Domination' this time of the year. I carry on using the rabbit distress calls also. But as you say, we are into mating season and they are more interested in getting their leg over than eating during this period. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've never used an electronic call always just a squeak through thumb, forefinger and pursed lips. It can vary between rabbit in distress and distressed vole. Foxes have been dogging round here for a month or more and it's been too quiet to lamp and most foxes are lamp shy anyway due to being near a few pheasant shoots. I've had 3 foxes in the last week one a dog who was "on patrol" all day long with his nose to ground doing a big loop round the valley. I sat by the path and ten minutes later up he trots, .22 at fifteen yards dropped him. Yesterday I went to the back of an old quarry where I'd seen a big black fox coming from the evening before, about lunchtime I plotted up on a rise overlooking the cover I thought that Charlie would be lying in. I started a loud squeal and in seconds he came bounding up and I took him out again about fifteen yards away. I left him where he was and started squealing again, a minute later something caught my eye and a Vixen was staring at me from ten yards away to the left and at ninety degrees to where I was pointing. Slow swing round with the gun and had her too. If I had seen these foxes whilst out lamping I wouldn't have even tried calling but just tried getting withing range for a shot, the reason they came to my call was they were asleep or dozing and were totally relaxed, daytime calling works differently to night calling IMO.

I'd be very interested to hear how the vixen call works I bet it works well.

The problem with thumb and forefinger i find is the range i can call too a few of the plastic calls can help but occupy your hands when you need them to pull the trigger , the old polystyrene on the wing mirror still works well

My 'Vixen Domination' did the business last night again. It was a shame that I couldn't get a clear shot because of the fog/mist. I don't know why they find it so tempting, but I'm guessing that it encourages the local vixen to oust the newcomer from her territory (?). Dog foxes come in as well, just being nosey.

I always take my caller. I simply carry it on a harness over my shoulder and detach it when I want to use it. The controller is in my thigh pocket. I'm just like a boy scout when I go out! :laugh::laugh:

Just back from a trip up Dartmoor, called some cover which always holds foxes, zilch, moved down to next piece made one call and a Vixen sat bolt upright five yards away! Winchester sub in the nut and weeks tally up to four. I usually call for Fox then mooch around for Rabbits, very few about and it's usually crawling with them here. Head shot one and it was crawling with fleas, obviously had the myxy which explains the lack of Foxes. Walking back I heard some coughs/barks and looked up to see six red does and yearlings watching me from 150yards away on the Moor. Cracking day to be out blue sky and frost.

My mate who owns the ground warned me that the neighbours there are antis, got back to the van to find a note saying that shooting is no longer allowed on this ground, will have to check with mate, I'm pretty sure someone is playing silly buggers.

Only one place to park or walk in miles over the moors, they aren't the sort to trash the van, more loud Guardian reading Liberals. Be brave person to take my van on anyway. There's a lot of people moaning about shooting down here now and loads of anti shooters buying small holdings, we had a complaint last year about legal shooting, we were quoted straight from the LACS "how to complain about shooting" page, wankers. I went and saw them, showed them my licence, permissions and politely told them the fact they didn't like hunting had no bearing on what I did on land they dont own. These sorts need to be confronted, politely and with informed arguments but confronted non the less.

• Like 2