Trout Fishing: How Much Kit Do You Carry?

This may be a silly qestion to the experienced but will trout take lures or spinners at night ?

Aye mate an usually very well, try some smaller plugs with a gead in em to rattle, or bigger plugs for bigger trout haha
Cheers. I live couple seconds walk away from a lovely bit of chalk stream that's free to fish the trout are wise I see them going to take spinners in the day but I allways seem to lose them straight away as if there not getting hooked properly ? Also what sort of lures and spinners are best for fast shallow gin clear water ? Or is it just stick to the trusty old free line bread and size 6 hook lol

Lure wise i like a small rapala best in clear water, 20 and 30mm ones, other types of fish baits are good, had some good ones on crystal minnows and yo zuri pin minnows. I bought a lot of second hand ultralite baits to try off ebay, like beetles grayfish frogs etc, worth a try, probably good for perch chub and the like. A free lined brandling worm is a great low water bait.

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will put pic on later. I have a greys ultralite 5' 6", great rod, took grilse and salmon on it when out for trout.     That grilse was about 5lb.

The toby lures are next to the small bull head devon minnows, the other ones are the same profile as the large on on the bottom pic. I call the small ones wigglers are they spin round and wiggle in th

I big one is a lure i designed myself,i like playing about making things and trying them out, i made jigs to make them in 6 different sizes, i also make them in a toby style body, alters the action a

C.green, on 12 Jan 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

Cheers. I live couple seconds walk away from a lovely bit of chalk stream that's free to fish the trout are wise I see them going to take spinners in the day but I allways seem to lose them straight away as if there not getting hooked properly ? Also what sort of lures and spinners are best for fast shallow gin clear water ? Or is it just stick to the trusty old free line bread and size 6 hook lol

What weight line are you using? I would use a fluorocarbon leader and drop down to 3lb or even 2lb...If you are free lining bit of bread, on the leader I would get some of the "floatant" fly fishermen use on their line to make it float...Although freelining is the most natural, I would also try a small clear bubble float as a casting aid/line controller...

The replacement for my broken telescopic rod arrived today in the form of a 6' 6" Uglly Stik Lite...This is a four section rod rated at 5gr to15gr...I bought this "blind" online and I have to say although I wasn't expecting the elegance of say a Greys, this really does live up to its Ugly name...

That said it comes across as a functional spinning rod rather than a modern UL fast action lure rod, which is what I wanted.

I have to say I miss the old school fibreglass spinning rods of my youth and while I understand the reasoning behind the various modern lure rods, old school worked just fine with Mepps, devon minnows and Flying "C"'s, and I am sure the Ugly Stik will work also as well as being able be used for light ledgering ect...

If it's fast action you want you need to be looking at the Japanese makers like Sakura, majorcraft, megabass , tenryu for example . They are streets ahead with ul gear. They start at around £50 for a Sakura ryokan and go £700+ for some of the high end models . Their lures and reels are the same aswell . You can pick a a jap spec reel and the same one from anywhere else in world and it will be slightly higher spec . You can get the shimano jdm spec reels from shimmy dealers over here aswell now without having to order from Japan .

This may be a silly qestion to the experienced but will trout take lures or spinners at night ?

Aye mate an usually very well, try some smaller plugs with a gead in em to rattle, or bigger plugs for bigger trout haha

Aswell as rapalas have a look at salmo lures like the tiny and bullhead before fox ruins them and also lures like yogi and goldy from places like sovereign superbaits .

If it's fast action you want you need to be looking at the Japanese makers like Sakura, majorcraft, megabass , tenryu for example . They are streets ahead with ul gear. They start at around £50 for a Sakura ryokan and go £700+ for some of the high end models . Their lures and reels are the same aswell . You can pick a a jap spec reel and the same one from anywhere else in world and it will be slightly higher spec . You can get the shimano jdm spec reels from shimmy dealers over here aswell now without having to order from Japan .

The Ugly Stik was bought as a bit of a work horse that can be left in the car or thrown in a pack with out worrying about it...

What I would really like is a 5' or 5' 6" traditional/old school spinning rod with a moderate action rather than a modern fast action Jap ultralite lure rod....

I have my eye on a Shimano Beastmaster 5' 6" 1-11g which might be suitable, just need to go an see it before I decide...

I used to have a beast master and it was a decent rod . It was heavier than what your looking for but they are a not bad at all . There's a few other shimmy rods like the scimitar and the yasei red perch that might be worth you looking at aswell . There's also a couple of savage gear rods like the troutizimo , parabellum and the lrf , not to sure if they go as short as your looking for though .

I used to have a beast master and it was a decent rod . It was heavier than what your looking for but they are a not bad at all . There's a few other shimmy rods like the scimitar and the yasei red perch that might be worth you looking at aswell . There's also a couple of savage gear rods like the troutizimo , parabellum and the lrf , not to sure if they go as short as your looking for though .

A while back, I bought a secondhand rod bag off ebay for my grandsons little cheapy 5' spinning rod.

When it came, it was off Shimano Stradic 1500 spinning rod...I have searched and searched the net to find a mention of such a rod, but can't find a trace of it anywhere...It sounds an intriguing little rod but has probably been out of production for years...

Edited by Pete E

C.green, on 12 Jan 2017 - 10:02 PM, said:

What weight line are you using? I would use a fluorocarbon leader and drop down to 3lb or even 2lb...If you are free lining bit of bread, on the leader I would get some of the "floatant" fly fishermen use on their line to make it float...Although freelining is the most natural, I would also try a small clear bubble float as a casting aid/line controller...

If braid about 4lb for the light rod, mono 3 or 2lb. I hooked a salmon with that little greys rod last year fishing for sea trout was a fresh fish well into the teens, a 30mm rapala 4lb braid, played it for 1 1/2 hours before it managed to throw the bait. It surprising what you can land on light gear, first salmon i have ever lost on that little rod, i don't purposely go for salmon with that set up i would something heavier, just when you fishing light you can hook anything.

• Like 1

Can I ask what brand of braid you use? I am struggling to find anything less than 6lb and even that is questionable as the diameter seemed a bit big for such a low poundage...

On another note, my little Shimano Beastmaster Ultralight has just turned up...

I couldn't find the older Greys Ultralight still for sale anywhere only the newer GR50, but the Beastmaster Ultralight seems a very comparable rod with a similar spec...

Can't wait to get it out on a local river when the trout season opens in March..Will team it up with a little Shimano Exage 1000....

Edited to add really need a length of 2" PVC pipe for the rod for it as it looks like it would be very easy to damage in transit ect...

Edited by Pete E

Have a look at the modern P.E braids like this if you want thin light braid . http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=291862985909&category=179966&pm=1&ds=0&t=1484716584969 . Personally I wouldn't go so low even with ultralights because you can still put light mono or flouro trace on anyway . 8-10lb power pro standard and their thin multicoloured depthunter is what I use for ultralights , but I'm likely to catch pike aswell where I fish . Be careful buying power pro braid off eBay though , unless it's from a recognised shop , there's snide stuff on there from china for next to nothing . Someone gave me 3 , 300 yard spools recently and as soon as you look at it you can tell it's fake .

Thanks Niel and your warning is well heeded as I've been stitched up with fake braid before...

I bought some for shore fishing which was supposed to be 70lb, but second time out, once wet, it was snapping like cotton...

I do have some 8 strand Daiwa J Braid that says 9lb on the box, but based on the PE 0.6 I think that will be nearer 6lb in reality,,,It should be fine for what I want as there is definitely no pike where I intend to fish...

If I fish elsewhere and pike are a possibility, I'll load the spare spool with 15lb braid and use some very fine 12lb titanium traces...

For use with this rod, I wish I could find some even lower breaking strain/finer wire trace of say 9lb, but I've not come across any as yet...

Agm do knot2kinky titanium wire down to 6lb . I use it in 12lb when I'm perch fishing on the canals and it's good stuff . A 3 turn blood knot will hold no problem even though it looks like it's not tied properly.

https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/m/prod_detail.php?cPath=cPath=56_104&products_id=4108

Edited by neil r