I'ts Freezing Time Again

Nearly everyone who has a glut of beans this time of year freezes then for winter use. The only problem with that if you have a load is the time taken to dress them before blanching. A couple of years ago I bought a bean slicer at a boot sale, it is the one tool I cannot be without now for slicing large quantities of beans.

Have a look on ebay search for spong bean slicer they are going for silly money this time of year but in the winter they go for a couple of quid.

2015_0907cutterbean0003_zpsmrjv7vo8.jpg

Those beans took me less than 5 minutes to slice.

TC

• Like 3

I really need one of these ( or rather my MRS does :) )

we freeze as soon as cut though and dont blanch at all.

I used to do the same, but the difference after blanching is like chalk and cheese. The secret is to drop them into boiling water still frozen they come out as tender as fresh beans. I found that when we did not blanch them they were rubbery when cooked.

TC

Can't beat coming home from the allotment with a basket of beans , sitting down with a bottle of wine, a sharp knife, bowl and watching the rugby or whatever. Why do you need a machine? :victory:

f**k me have you still got all your fingers hahaha

Can't beat coming home from the allotment with a basket of beans , sitting down with a bottle of wine, a sharp knife, bowl and watching the rugby or whatever. Why do you need a machine? :victory:

I don't NEED a machine, I was cutting beans before you stopped shitting yellow son. But I must admit I do enjoy using it, and I like the way they cut the beans.

TC

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...