• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:17 pm

Well, I've taken the plunge and I am now the proud owner of a lurcher pup - a Beddy Whippet X of 8 weeks, to be exact, and he's coming on a treat,but I've got a couple of feeding questions......sorry for the beginner's dumbass stuff.

I've switched him over to BARF no problems, and he loves to gnaw a bone. He's on 10% of bodyweight daily over three meals,and I'm going to reduce him to two meals over next week. So....

....at what age should I begin to reduce the bodyweight %age ?
....my others dogs are on 2-3%.When should he be down to this kind of figure ?
....when should I reduce him to one meal, like the others ?

I know there's no hard and fast rules, but just looking for some guidelines really.

He's got his first jab tomorrow and I can't wait 'til I can get him out and about (even though I'm only a casual moocher !)

Cheers

BB

Edited by Blackbriar, 03 July 2015 - 07:44 pm.

#2 socks

socks

Extreme Ferret Wrangler

• Donator
  • 14,719 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:39 pm

Forget about the % per body weight it doesn't work out for lurcher pups ... Keep feeding three meals for the next few months and let it eat what it wants within reason ... A lurcher pup shouldn't look like a lurched it should be nice and fat but not obese ......
  • skycat and Dunkanon like this

#3 paulus

paulus

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:42 pm

they tend to grow outwards and then upwards, so always fat or thin  :laugh: just keep pumping the grub in and keep the worming up to date, dont forget as he gets older the more active he will become and the more calories he will burn

#4 Blackbriar

Blackbriar

THL Political Editor

• Donator
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:43 pm

He gets puppy mixer, brown rice, oily fish, veggies, eggs and the meat is minced chicken or duck, the odd chicken wing and I feed them all tripe once a week and meaty bones every other day.
  • Joe777 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users