Bushing Help

jamesc94

hi guys I have two terriers and love to take them out just down the local woods to see if we can exercise a few rabbits. Is there any way I can get them to look up when I see a rabbit cos theyre always just sniffing around? I see loads but they always just hop away unseen by the dogs. I realise a lurcher would be better but I'm at uni at the minute so I cant have another dog. Also if they do catch one they won't carry on hunting they just hang round me sniffing the bunny. How can I fix this?

here they are

DSC_0747_zps77b4a82d.jpg

DSC_0966_zps42ffd981.jpg

DSC_0972_zps012b1110.jpg

Hi james the only thing i can think of is when u see a rabbit take the dogs to where it ran and then the dogs should pick up the scent also do they work cover coz that is where they r more likely to catch as 4 them hanging around mine would do that aswell when she caught any rabbits what i did was put in high in a tree and got it on the way back.PS lovely dogs i really like the leggy one. atb daywalker

thanks. The little one does work cover. But how do you get the rabbit out if they catch in say the middle of a patch of brambles? Neither of them retrieve

I don't think there's a great deal you can do mate, the problem is terriers being so little they can't see far so even if you encourage them the rabbit will be gone before they get near it. My son has got his to respond to hand signals to a degree, but like all terriers that I know it's hit and miss wether his dog will

take much notice.

• Like 1

I don't think there's a great deal you can do mate, the problem is terriers being so little they can't see far so even if you encourage them the rabbit will be gone before they get near it. My son has got his to respond to hand signals to a degree, but like all terriers that I know it's hit and miss wether his dog will

take much notice.

ah cheers mate I'll see if I can get anywhere with hand signals

I do think more experience in the field/working will help them get better, using both their nose and sight. If you use the smaller one as a busher and slip the bigger one if anything bolts he should start to rely more on his eyes. But like said by others, terriers are small and can't look over obstacles.

I've never had a problem with a terrier not retrieving what they've caught, maybe I'm lucky. Handing it over to the handler is usually more of an issue. You could force break (is that the correct name in english?) him, eventually almost every dog will retrieve. Does any of the two retrieve tennis balls or sticks?

How tall is the bigger one? Looks quite fast.

• 3 weeks later...

hi buddy, i wouldnt worry too much about the dog seeing the rabbit. A terriers greatest weapon is its nose! Just call them to where you saw the rabbit and let them work the scent. The greatest advice i was ever given was "always work with your dog". You are a team after all so where your dog goes you go with it, he has the nose and you have the eyes. ..My terriers dont hang around when im carrying one they just want to get back to work, all i can suggest is just be persistant in telling them to leave :) happy hunting mucka.

• Like 2

shout rabbit and leg it in general direction the dogs soon twig and coming running then you can just start pointing in general direction. All so handy if in an emergency the dog is heading for a road.I was in my teens at the time not much legging it now a days

Edited by terryd

I agree with Terryd and Jimbo 201289. You have to work with your dogs particularly with terriers in my experience. As jimbo says, they can run off their nose, never looking up or around and being fairly headstrong, it can be frustratingly difficult to break this. I have 5 terriers at the moment and we work well as a pack, me included as the spotter! And as Terryd says, if you shout a command like "rabbit" or one of your own commands and run in the general direction, the dogs will get to know what to do eventually, especially if they get a few rabbits. I know this works because my oldest two dogs now keep an eye on me from time to time and on my verbal command "run" and using arm gestures, they have lead the other dogs after them to catch very very many rabbits. Admittedly, it takes a lot of patience, a lot of practice, week after week, month after month but don't give up on the plan. Stick with it. The dogs will learn from you. And one day, you will just realise that the plan is working when you see it in practice. It's a rewarding moment!!! Leegreen put is very nicely there, it is down to you to let them know what to do. Your move Jamesc94!!

• Like 2