• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:08 pm

Looking to get a night vision on my BSA r10 for ratting and lamp shy bunnies.

Are there any particular models to avoid, or any I should really be looking at ?

It has been suggested on the hunting thread I could look at a DIY job, but to be honest I don't really have the time or patience to build such a thing, and I am not sure I could get used to looking at a screen on top of the scope rather than through the scope itself.

The ranges I generally use are between 10yds and 60.

I don't want to go too silly and spend thousands, but also not really after cheap and very cheerfully either.

Is it possible to get a unit that hinges onto the eye piece of a normal day scope, so I can keep it for day or night use without changing scope and re-zero every time ?

If not, I quite like the look of something like this, 290876041433 ebay, are they any good, I have no idea about nv so really could use some help from those who do.

Edited by Rabid, 14 March 2013 - 01:15 pm.

#2 dogvixen01

dogvixen01

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:38 pm

i have tried the sonycam set up but it is more suited to a pcp and it has a similar position to the ns50.the unit you are looking on e bay at is very similar to a unit i bought from nv scopes .they are very heavy and have to remain on the airgun all the time.the other option is a add on like a pulsar ,with a dsa ( day scope adaptor ) you use the scope as normal in the day then add the add on onto the back for night time.you will reqire additional ir with these to extend viewing to around 100 yds and it is better to have a scope with side parrallax focus .

• David.evans likes this

#3 porkycrook

porkycrook

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:36 pm

I have the same sort of requirments as you and i chose the NiteSite NS50 and i am more than happy with it. There are other makers of night vision, you have just missed the shooting show where you could of looked over all of your options. 

#4 Guest_scramble_*

Guest_scramble_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:39 pm

If you dont want to build a home made system then go for a pulsar challenger add-on or cobra merlin add on. if you add the right IR illumination you'll get over 100 yards with ease. dont waste your money buying the NM800 illuminater, get a 501B and add an aspheric lens and a 1w ir drop in.

ebay items : 251244987083  280841096537 

http://dx.com/p/glas...ights-28mm-5297

you'll need a rechargeable battery for your 501b 160888656079

SCRAMBLE

#5 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:55 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I realise the scope I linked to is a permanent fixture, I was considering this or the Yukon scope, and it would mean having to buy another rifle for day use, sigh, how terrible !

However, it sounds like I have other options.

These add ons, how do they affect your shooting position ? I presume they will narrow your eye relief, so possibly make your shooting position further back ?

How easy are they to add/remove, I guess by the very nature of them it will not be a major task.

In reality, having never even looked through any nv kit, what is the picture like ?

Rob.

SCRAMBLE, thanks for the links, I will check them out now.

Edited by Rabid, 14 March 2013 - 06:57 pm.

#6 stillair1

stillair1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:29 pm

Hi  Rob  re  addon  units.  by  getting  a  set  of  reach  forward  mounts  you  can  soak  up  some  of  the  length  of  the  addon  unit  and  the  set  up  is  still  very  useable  in  the  day  time (just  lean  into  the  scope  a  bit  more).Remember  with  the  nv  unit  you  eye  is  up  against  the  addon  and  not  an  inch  or  so  away  as  in  a  day  scope. Fitting  and  removing  the  nv  addon  unit  is  an  easy  ten  second  job (slightly  slower  with  a  raised  eyepiece  diopter  ring). Favourite compact  illumination  is  via  a  Dipol L3  or  N1000  IR  laser.  I  have  used  both  the  merlin  cobra  and  pulsar  gen 1 units  and  they  are  good  for  12ftlb  and  fac  air  ranges  with an  ir laser. The  pulsar  unit  wont  fit  the  cobra  dsa,  so  don't  mix  and  match  dsa's. Of  the  two  units  the  pulsar  has  the  edge  on  performance,  but  is  not  as  robust  in  build  quality. Once  you  use  powder  firearms  then  gen  2  is  the  way  to  go  imo. Unfortunately  the  price  doubles  that  of  gen1  roughly.  neil

btw  the  item  you  were  looking  at  on  ebay  was  what  I  had  before  the  addon  units ;)

Edited by stillair1, 15 March 2013 - 09:38 pm.

#7 Guest_scramble_*

Guest_scramble_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:54 pm

Dont use a laser, they cost too much and the laser is dirty giving a poor quality image through the NV unit. LED's are much cleaner and cheaper.   :thumbs:

Edited by scramble, 15 March 2013 - 09:55 pm.

#8 stillair1

stillair1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:14 pm

Hi  Scramble  have  you  used  one  of  these  led  units  with  an  850nm  output  on  a  tubed gen1  addon. All  my  research  is  saying  the  850nm  led  is  great  for  digi  stuff,  but  pants  for  tubed gen 1  stuff  which  are  most  sensitive  in  the  790-805nm  region.  neil

#9 drwolly

drwolly

Born Hunter

• Donator
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:35 pm

I have been using a cobra merlin Gen1 and day scope adapter with a N1000 laser for past 5-6 years now and would highly recommend as you dont need two rifles, one for day & one for night use, and i use mine on my air rifle and rimfire. As some one previously mentioned, you just use forward reach mounts to move day scope forward an inch or two to make allowance for the add on, you soon get used to it.

My father upgraded his a while ago to a cobra gen 2+ and after using it last week and i could clearly see rabbits at over 300 yards as clear as day i shall be upgrading mine in the next few weeks! Gen1 for sale anyone :-)

#10 Guest_scramble_*

Guest_scramble_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:42 pm

Hi  Scramble  have  you  used  one  of  these  led  units  with  an  850nm  output  on  a  tubed gen1  addon. All  my  research  is  saying  the  850nm  led  is  great  for  digi  stuff,  but  pants  for  tubed gen 1  stuff  which  are  most  sensitive  in  the  790-805nm  region.  neil

What nm are most lasers that are being offered????  790nm, that would get you the distance agreed but for airgun ranges out to 70 yards 850nm wont make that much difference. 

Edited by scramble, 15 March 2013 - 11:46 pm.

#11 drwolly

drwolly

Born Hunter

• Donator
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:56 pm

the N1000 is 790 nm i think the dipol are around 805

#12 stillair1

stillair1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:51 am

"My father upgraded his a while ago to a cobra gen 2+ and after using it last week and i could clearly see rabbits at over 300 yards as clear as day i shall be upgrading mine in the next few weeks! Gen1 for sale anyone :-)"

The  cobra  titan is  a  very nice  unit , we  were  comparing  gen2 units   the  other  night,  same  scope  same  lasers. Would  you  believe  it one  dipol  was  brighter  than  the  other!

Anyways  re  original  post, the  atn  dedicated  gen 1  unit  is  a  good  example  of  a  gen1  dedicated,  however  the  two  main  probs  with  it  are  the  low  mag 4-5 iirc.  and  the  weight 2kg  which  sits  up  hight  due  to  the  large  front  lens. The  bsa  is  one   of  the  better  rifles  to  fit  one  to  as  it  has  no  stickyup  mags  like  the  rapid  or  AArms  which  need  an  intermount  to clear  and  this   exacerbates  the  top  heavy feel, hold over/under issues  and  loss  of  cheek weld.  There  are  some  very  low inserts  which  fit  on  an  11mm  rail  and  converts  to  weaver  adding  virtually  no extra  height  if  you  go  dedicated.  neil

Edited by stillair1, 16 March 2013 - 11:52 am.

#13 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:49 pm

Thanks for the opinions so far, it sounds as though the dedicated night scope won't be the one for me, but rather one of these add ons you have mentioned, that way I keep just the one rifle, and have the option of fitting onto my .22 as well.

So after narrowing that down, I now need to narrow what add on unit I am looking for, and the sort of costs I should be expecting to pay.

I must stress that using it on the .22 is not a must, it's really only the r10 that I want to get fitted out at present.

Thanks for everything so far.

Rob.

I probably should add, I am a bit of a tackle tart and would like to find the best unit possible, I do have a reasonable budget to spend on the right one.

Edited by Rabid, 16 March 2013 - 04:51 pm.

#14 pinkfoot 1

pinkfoot 1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:58 pm

Thanks for the opinions so far, it sounds as though the dedicated night scope won't be the one for me, but rather one of these add ons you have mentioned, that way I keep just the one rifle, and have the option of fitting onto my .22 as well.

So after narrowing that down, I now need to narrow what add on unit I am looking for, and the sort of costs I should be expecting to pay.

I must stress that using it on the .22 is not a must, it's really only the r10 that I want to get fitted out at present.

Thanks for everything so far.

Rob.

I probably should add, I am a bit of a tackle tart and would like to find the best unit possible, I do have a reasonable budget to spend on the right one.

Go for nite hunters snipercam then mate its the best add on you will get for your money 

#15 Rabid

Rabid

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:39 pm

Ok, we'll thanks for all the advice, I have made a purchase, albeit second hand from a member on here.

I have. Gone for a pulsar challenger with a n1000.

The deciding factor is, a mate I sometimes go out with has said he will give me the price I paid if I don't like it! Result, but I am hoping I get on with it and am finally sorted.

Thanks for taking the time and patience to help me. I will update what I think on Wednesday, as I have a ratting sash booked in now, yay.

Regards, rob.

Edited by Rabid, 17 March 2013 - 06:40 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users