Whippet pup

• 2 months later...

Went out for a night shooting and took the whippet pup. She's 7 months old and around 20 tt, seemed pretty keen. Gave her a few slips in between shooting. First was just to get her to chase and it quickly went down a hole. Next one was out in the open and running away. She caught up to it quick and turned it few times before grabbing by its legs. Ended up dropping it down a hole. Next slip rabbits shots off everywhere, but she took off after a fox. Thought she was being a pest but realized she was marking the fox den. After getting her back, have her a rest. Saw a rabbit away from warrens and slipped her she had a good chase turning it a few times before losing it under the ute. Keen to give her a catch I spotted a rabbit deep out in a paddock and slipped her on it after a decent chase with turn after turn she grabbed it by the throat. Before taking it off into the darkness. Managed to get it off her and call it a night. Hopefully get a few more in the future.

how is your whippet bred please mate

• 2 weeks later...

3 months isn't too young to start getting used to the working environment and obstacles/dangers it's going to encounter in it's career. If you keep them away until their bigger and faster their more likely to come unstuck. As for internationally running stuff with it I'd leave it as long as you possibly can and then when you do start it give it the easiest runs you can.

• Like 1

my whippety lurcher got her first rabbits at 8 months but mostly myxi ones and i didn't intentionally slip her at anything till she was a year old. myxi rabbits are very handy for building confidence without them working too hard :)

agree with that,

Myxi rabbits are great for them to learn the basics of the strike and in the day you can keep an eye on them so they don't get into trouble with wire or other obstacles.