Beddy cross

I am putting my beddy grey in pup when she next comes in season to keep a pup back and wondered how litters are still going whether there are a lot being left etc what with the current laws though the litter will be favouring the rabbiter any way i would of thought they should go ok..I am putting a nice grey over her who takes all legal quarry....So if anyone has had a litter of late or knows of um still going ok with out worries i would appreciate it i know it wont be a guarantee they`ll all go still but i wouldn`t mind some feed back cheers Roy :good:

Guest daz halford

i had a litter fo beddy cross years back the rough coated go first snapped up they were,was left with the smooth right up to 14 weeks old but then i didnt place an add till they were 8 weeks.

good cross.

Nipper, basicly ALL of Roystons hunting land, was at some point or another, mine...I basicly ran my Lurcher to death on the same land...i have seen many VERY good dogs, hobble there way back to the van at the end of a hard day/night..

I have seen Roystons little Beddie cross, and can honestly say, the thing is a fecking killing machine...rat, rabbit, hare, fox (although, imo, she is too small to ever make a good foxing bitch) roe, muntjac, feather...all have fallen to this tiny little thing...single handed i might add, day and night (BEFORE the ban of course!)

Ive seen that bitch on the lamp...its like a fawn coloured Yo-Yo..down the beam, rabbit in mouth, up the beam...ALL NIGHT!..

IMO, the ONLY reason she hasnt had as much foot troubles as she has, is because of her small size, and light weight...buy adding more Greyhound, you get a bigger, stronger, faster dog...Greyhound is NOT going to improve the feet know is it?...ok, breed to summat with more grey in it maybe, i would try to find a 3/4 Grey 1/4 Beddie, or better still a 3/4 Grey 1/4 wheaten...it would of course be hard to find a decent stud like that, and it might take a year to do it...but, imo, the pups will be MUCH better than average...if the pups kill HALF the amount that that little bitch has, they wont be bad dogs, imo.

Kye,..

gnipper,- you only get the eye problem if one or more of the dogs has that problem to start with, but checked out should be ok.

Bedlington crosses,- are selling very well indeed. I did check out selling the pups before breeding a litter. A relative of mine is married to a gypsy and they breed this line and have a waiting list,- even though they are charging £300. Being a Gypsy may have something to do with getting a higher price, as everyone seems to think if its off a Gypsy it must be a good worker,- and perhaps they are as they do work their dogs a lot.

A few other litters i know of are going for between £200 to £250.

I have a 3 week old litter just now,- but i did not breed for any money,- i just needed a Bedlington X sire,- sire Pat Blewitts 1st X Bedlington Greyhound to my Deerhound Greyhound X Whippet Greyhound. I tried to keep the price down a bit to £175, in the hope of selling quicker. I have not really advertised them properly yet,- only put them on a few hunting sites, a few people who contacted me about a pup when i advertised for the stud have not got back to me yet,- and that was before i put a price on them.

Thay will be in the EDRD this month and a few Sporting mags around the 8 weeks age. I would expect them to sell ok. I was very surprised how much intelligence they are showing already and even climbing out a high box they are in,- now i know they are only 3 weeks but i do think these will train up fairly easy.

So Royston i would say go for it, and good luck.

gnipper,- you only get the eye problem if one or more of the dogs has that problem to start with, but checked out should be ok.

I think gnipper is talking about Copper Toxicosis Gin and not eye problems.

Best of luck with the cross Roysten. I don't think it's a case of Greyhounds having bad feet, it's more a case of them being too fast for their feet at times. Hopefully you'll get what you need from the litter.

Hi Gin,

As far as I know Copper Toxicosis doesn't affect their eyes as it's a liver problem which eventually results in cirrhosis. There a lot of symptoms such as jaundice and anaemia, puking and loss of weight but I didn't know anything about it being realted to their eye problems. I think that's a separate issue. I stand to be corrected if you've got any info though mate.

Hi Stabs,- yes i know its a liver condition, but i was under the impression it caused an eye problem, but i am not sure now, from your reply, but it still has to be two carriers of the copper toxicosis to cause problems.