Knife re-handling advice?

Couldn't help but notice that there are quite a few knife makers in this section so i'm hopping you will let me pick your brains please

I've got one of the cheap plastic handled half/3 quarter tang Mora knifes here that the lurcher has chewed the pommel end of the handle off and i'm thinking about having a go at putting a wooden handle on it, in the normal run of things i'd just bin it and buy a new one but i'm not working at the mo so.........

I'm pretty good with wood work, make my own net needles, spoons, bowls, wooden stools ect, but have never re-handled a knife before so i'm looking for a bit of advice, tips or pointers please, things like how do I go about fitting the handle to ensure a good fit to the tang and how do I fix it in place to make sure it stays put?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hyperion

010.jpg

Edited by hyperion

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finished         and after a coat of oil           and the heath robinson sheath repair, an old dog collar trimmed to make a loop and whipped on, with lost ends, with some nyl

Great thread this

Hi there buddy best thing to do 1st is cut away the handle from the blade so we can see what the tang is like

With hidden tangs I usually notch it along the tang drill a whole into the wood for the handle the same size as the tang fill the hole with aroldite epoxy (the cheap stuff can be brittle and not so good)

Then clamp it up allow to cure then shape and finish the handle

Atb rob

Might struggle with that epoxy, i've got a budget of 25p at the moment and the only sticky stuff i've got is locktight

I'll take the handle off a bit later on this morning and see whats what

Have found some Xrays of mora tangs though, I think mine is the middle one of the five

xrayofmorasshowingtanglength.jpg

you are gonna have to burn it in them mate , drill a smaller hole than you need the tang red hot and push it very neatly into the hole for a perfect fit !!

you need to keep the blade cold or you will ruin the temper so hold it with pliers in cold tap water with the tang out of the water , try to just get the point of the tang hot .

if the tang is a non stick tang (top two) your in trouble ..

your gonna need a budget mate although you can do it almost for free , it wont be a good job done .

you could allways go ray mears style and get some amber resin from pine trees melt it with a little animal fat and some powder charcoal in to a paste one cooled it is a basic glue dating from the stone age . looks messy stuff !!

I was thinking of drilling five or six holes along the tang then countrysinking the new handle and using a ballpean hammer to rivet the handle on with nails! I dont think i've got any way to heat the tang either, no gas burner or torch sadly

It aint got to be pretty its just got to work, the more I look into it though the more i'm starting to think I should just throw some leccy tape on there and make do with that :yes::hmm:

Edited by hyperion

Hi

Have a look at this tutorial, it will show you in pics how to do it (an alternative method)

Also, you can go on the menu at the left hand side and click on tutorials, then knives, there are loads more tutorials to choose from :thumbs:

Careful though, the first time I went there, hours had flown by :blink:

Cheers, John :bye: