Advice on catapult accuracy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi mate ! , there,s lots of tips and advice on youtube regarding cattys, also some good cat users on here, who I am sure will be long soon to advise, hope this helps atb Steve.

Thanks Steve, Gaffer and Mick: those comments are already making a lot of sense. Will have another try later today and see if it's improved. Also, forgot to mention in the first post that I'm using ma

Here ya go buddy this will help with fitting bands   Atb rob

Don't put your thumb on that thumb pad!!! You'll shoot your thumb, trust me!!! The forks need to be held parallel to your pouch hand as others have said and the ball/marble needs to be dead centre in the pouch and the pouch needs to be held so that it's perfectly in half and the bands are of equal length. I'd stick with your marbles or try lead or even steel. I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm steel. Smaller than that has poor accuracy and doesn't retain much energy. I'll try and put a photo up of how you should hold the catty but it won't be today.

:hmm: :hmm: :whistling: :whistling: in air guns why is 177 use for field target shooting rather than 22 + a 22 pellet will kill most game at 20 yards,,so 5mm or 8 mm shot from doubble theraband gold would be shooting well over 12ft lb psi :hmm:

Airguns aren't catapults. You can't compare the two.

5mm is way too small for anything. That's .20 cal.

The smallest I use is 9mm steel when I'm shooting through dense branches and leaves. I can thread a steel ball through a gap and headshoot birds or squirrels. 9mm steel doesn't usually kill squirrels, even with a headshot but it knocks them from the tree, if the fall doesn't finish them off my Lurcher does.

The smallest lead ball I use is 36 cal. this can kill rabbits.

The OP wanted real life experiences and facts, you don't even have an exact figure as to how much power you can get with 5mm ammo. Double Theraband gold means nothing until you state length of pull, band width, band length, fork width, straight or tapered bands, type and weight of pouch.

You like to sell a catty or two do you should be careful about the advice you give. If you get it that wrong people may think that you're someone that just puts bands on mediocre frames and doesn't understand the first thing about shooting catties or ammo.

How many kills have ypu had with 5mm? What animals/birds? What distances? How may kills have you had in total?

When you obviously don't know a lot about a subject, it's best not to try and question someone that's been at it for years, you'll only look silly. By all means ask someone to explain themself but don't try and use made up science to prove your point.

Don't put your thumb on that thumb pad!!! You'll shoot your thumb, trust me!!! The forks need to be held parallel to your pouch hand as others have said and the ball/marble needs to be dead centre in the pouch and the pouch needs to be held so that it's perfectly in half and the bands are of equal length. I'd stick with your marbles or try lead or even steel. I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm steel. Smaller than that has poor accuracy and doesn't retain much energy. I'll try and put a photo up of how you should hold the catty but it won't be today.

:hmm: :hmm: :whistling: :whistling: in air guns why is 177 use for field target shooting rather than 22 + a 22 pellet will kill most game at 20 yards,,so 5mm or 8 mm shot from doubble theraband gold would be shooting well over 12ft lb psi :hmm:

The smallest I use is 9mm steel when I'm shooting through dense branches and leaves. I can thread a steel ball through a gap and headshoot birds or squirrels. 9mm steel doesn't usually kill squirrels, even with a headshot but it knocks them from the tree, if the fall doesn't finish them off my Lurcher does.

The OP wanted real life experiences and facts, you don't even have an exact figure as to how much power you can get with 5mm ammo. Double Theraband gold means nothing until you state length of pull, band width, band length, fork width, straight or tapered bands, type and weight of pouch.

You like to sell a catty or two do you should be careful about the advice you give. If you get it that wrong people may think that you're someone that just puts bands on mediocre frames and doesn't understand the first thing about shooting catties or ammo.

How many kills have ypu had with 5mm? What animals/birds? What distances? How may kills have you had in total?

When you obviously don't know a lot about a subject, it's best not to try and question someone that's been at it for years, you'll only look silly. By all means ask someone to explain themself but don't try and use made up science to prove your point.

explain it best i could,,, you seem to be the expert.. but i think your well off the mark,,the bascic's of any missile fired are the same,,smaller would not hit his forks as much true? am not one to state i could hit every squirrel through gaps in branches powering through branches :icon_eek: :icon_eek: nor have i pulled you down or your catty.just because i have differant views than you does this mean i should be carful of you..you trying to scare me? :hmm: :hmm: or is it cos your wrong and you have spat your dummy out :laugh: :laugh:

explain it best i could,,, you seem to be the expert.. but i think your well off the mark,,the bascic's of any missile fired are the same,,smaller would not hit his forks as much true? am not one to state i could hit every squirrel through gaps in branches powering through branches :icon_eek: :icon_eek: nor have i pulled you down or your catty.just because i have differant views than you does this mean i should be carful of you..you trying to scare me? :hmm: :hmm: or is it cos your wrong and you have spat your dummy out :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not an expert when it comes to catties but I know more than most, have taken a lot of game with them, shoot mine everyday and have been making and shooting them for over 25 years.

There are so many differences between an object shot from a catapult and a projectile shot out of a barrel, smooth bore or rifled. A smaller piece of ammo is not guaranteed to miss the forks less than a larger piece, sometimes a small missile will not have sufficient weight to slow the pouch allowing smooth energy transfer and thus may be more prone to travel at an odd angle and into the forks.

I never said I hit every squirrel, but I hit most. I never said I power through branches, I don't know where you got that from.

Having different views is fine, that's what forums are about but the information you are giving is wrong and has no basis in fact. It's not a difference of opinion it's right versus wrong. Maybe you'd like to answer the question about how much game you've taken with a catty and how many kills you've had with 5mm ammo.

At no point have I threatened you or tried to intimidate you. So there's no need to be careful, I'm not trying to scare you. Do you smoke cannabis? Is that why you're paranoid and have fanciful ideas?

Why do you think I spat my dummy out? All I did was pull you up because you started talking nonsense about .177 airguns and told someone that 5mm was good ammo and more accurate. I'd look around at a few of the proper catty forums before you get too carried away as you're on your own with your views on this one.

I shoot .38 200 grain comical bullets from my catty, for general hunting. Maybe you could challenge me to a comp and you use your 5mm ammo and I'll use some of my hunting ammo, what do you think your chances of beating me are? I'll use one of my own frames and my own low draw, high power band sets. You can use one of yours.

If you want to make catapults and sell them, that's fine by me. Just, don't pretend that you've been doing it for ages and don't pretend that you know more than others who've been at it a lot longer than you.

I'm not an expert when it comes to catties but I know more than most, have taken a lot of game with them, shoot mine everyday and have been making and shooting them for over 25 years.

There are so many differences between an object shot from a catapult and a projectile shot out of a barrel, smooth bore or rifled. A smaller piece of ammo is not guaranteed to miss the forks less than a larger piece, sometimes a small missile will not have sufficient weight to slow the pouch allowing smooth energy transfer and thus may be more prone to travel at an odd angle and into the forks.

I never said I hit every squirrel, but I hit most. I never said I power through branches, I don't know where you got that from.

Having different views is fine, that's what forums are about but the information you are giving is wrong and has no basis in fact. It's not a difference of opinion it's right versus wrong. Maybe you'd like to answer the question about how much game you've taken with a catty and how many kills you've had with 5mm ammo.

At no point have I threatened you or tried to intimidate you. So there's no need to be careful, I'm not trying to scare you. Do you smoke cannabis? Is that why you're paranoid and have fanciful ideas?

Why do you think I spat my dummy out? All I did was pull you up because you started talking nonsense about .177 airguns and told someone that 5mm was good ammo and more accurate. I'd look around at a few of the proper catty forums before you get too carried away as you're on your own with your views on this one.

I shoot .38 200 grain comical bullets from my catty, for general hunting. Maybe you could challenge me to a comp and you use your 5mm ammo and I'll use some of my hunting ammo, what do you think your chances of beating me are? I'll use one of my own frames and my own low draw, high power band sets. You can use one of yours.

If you want to make catapults and sell them, that's fine by me. Just, don't pretend that you've been doing it for ages and don't pretend that you know more than others who've been at it a lot longer than you.

,,my view is that a smaller 5mm or 8mm would have less chance of hitting his forks,, you also think you have been shooting cattys longer than me? you also think that you know what elastic i use on cattys?you accuse me of smoking drugs?you say your not an expert then say i am talking nonsense,,,if your theorys is right would every one not use even bigger ammo?the hitting power is more with bigger, but the accuracy is less this is a true fact,(in any form of projectile)...how big is 5mm or 8mm to a squirrel as you say 5mm is too sall for anything,how many more things you gunna get wrong?? everyday for 25 years this is another stupid statement ott so you have never been ill or had to work or just had other things to do in 25 years :icon_eek: :icon_eek: some boy you are :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

,,my view is that a smaller 5mm or 8mm would have less chance of hitting his forks,, you also think you have been shooting cattys longer than me? you also think that you know what elastic i use on cattys?you accuse me of smoking drugs?you say your not an expert then say i am talking nonsense,,,if your theorys is right would every one not use even bigger ammo?the hitting power is more with bigger, but the accuracy is less this is a true fact,(in any form of projectile)...how big is 5mm or 8mm to a squirrel as you say 5mm is too sall for anything,how many more things you gunna get wrong?? everyday for 25 years this is another stupid statement ott so you have never been ill or had to work or just had other things to do in 25 years :icon_eek: :icon_eek: some boy you are :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish you'd learn to read properly. You're making yourself look stupid.

Fork strikes don't relate to the size of ammo but bad shooting form. If your technique is wrong you'll get fork strikes with any size ammo.

It's obvious that I've been at it longer than you because you make ridiculous statements that you'd know weren't true if you had any experience.

You mentioned double TBG to start with, not me. I never said you use that on catties, although you were offering to make someone a natural fork with it, on another thread so I'll assume that you use it.

You're paranoid, suggesting that I was trying to scare you, that's why I asked whether you smoked drugs. It would explain your irrational thoughts.

I don't need to be an expert to know that you're wrong and your theories don't make sense. I doubt anyone else will leap to your defence over this because what your saying isn't correct.

Most people who shoot catties a lot use bigger heavier ammo, lightweight ammo, like 9mm had its place but isnt the first choice for hunting.

It's obvious that you've never shot any rifles, have you? Before you try and tell me I'm wrong again, I have an FAC and own centrefire and rimfire rifles. The size of a projectile doesn't always mean larger hits harder, velocity dictates that. Smaller isn't more accurate, ask the boys who shoot .50 BMG!!!

A 5mm airgun pellet travelling at 650 fps and hitting a squirrel in the brain will kill it at around 30 yards. Your 5mm ammo, lead or steel, from your catty won't be travelling at anything like that speed and therefore won't have anything like 12 ft lbs of power. Secondly, you'd need to make that same shot to the brain and a catapult isn't as accurate as a rifle. Bigger ammo allows for more energy (well in excess of 12 ft lbs) and a greater killzone. I haven't got it wrong, how many kills have you had with 5mm ammo?

Everyday for 25 years is a stupid statement, you're right. Although the only one that looks stupid is you. Learn to read things properly!! I never made that statement. I said I shoot my catty everyday, which for the most part is correct, there'll be days when I don't but on the whole I do it everyday. I'm the boss at work so I can do what I want. I also said I've been making and shooting them for over 25 years, which is also true.

You're arguing over things that haven't been said and the stuff you're coming out with is a joke, take yourself over to one of the proper catapult forums make a post with all your facts in and then post the link here. I doubt you'll get anyone agree with you.

I think anyone reading this is going to realise that you're just trying to cash in and earn a few quid by selling catties. You don't know what makes a good or a bad fork and are just making stuff you think looks good as opposed to something that fits the hand properly and shoots well. I think people would be better spending their money with Gamekeeper John, as he can, and does shoot and knows what he's talking about.

Look guys if you wanna argue do it over a pm it's not fair using this guys thread as a slagging match

Small ammo will not work be accurate in heavy bands.

So if using heavy bands with small ammo you may find accuracy issues.

Also larger ammo is best for hunting with a catapult as they give out more ft/lbs and after all our main aim is to kill quarry not cause injury as this is not a good image for the sport

If you use lightweight bands then the smaller ammo is fine

For hunting I Reccomend 12mm plus

Atb rob

Look guys if you wanna argue do it over a pm it's not fair using this guys thread as a slagging match

Small ammo will not work be accurate in heavy bands.

So if using heavy bands with small ammo you may find accuracy issues.

Also larger ammo is best for hunting with a catapult as they give out more ft/lbs and after all our main aim is to kill quarry not cause injury as this is not a good image for the sport

If you use lightweight bands then the smaller ammo is fine

For hunting I Reccomend 12mm plus

Atb rob

I wish you'd learn to read properly. You're making yourself look stupid.

Fork strikes don't relate to the size of ammo but bad shooting form. If your technique is wrong you'll get fork strikes with any size ammo.

It's obvious that I've been at it longer than you because you make ridiculous statements that you'd know weren't true if you had any experience.

You mentioned double TBG to start with, not me. I never said you use that on catties, although you were offering to make someone a natural fork with it, on another thread so I'll assume that you use it.

You're paranoid, suggesting that I was trying to scare you, that's why I asked whether you smoked drugs. It would explain your irrational thoughts.

I don't need to be an expert to know that you're wrong and your theories don't make sense. I doubt anyone else will leap to your defence over this because what your saying isn't correct.

Most people who shoot catties a lot use bigger heavier ammo, lightweight ammo, like 9mm had its place but isnt the first choice for hunting.

It's obvious that you've never shot any rifles, have you? Before you try and tell me I'm wrong again, I have an FAC and own centrefire and rimfire rifles. The size of a projectile doesn't always mean larger hits harder, velocity dictates that. Smaller isn't more accurate, ask the boys who shoot .50 BMG!!!

A 5mm airgun pellet travelling at 650 fps and hitting a squirrel in the brain will kill it at around 30 yards. Your 5mm ammo, lead or steel, from your catty won't be travelling at anything like that speed and therefore won't have anything like 12 ft lbs of power. Secondly, you'd need to make that same shot to the brain and a catapult isn't as accurate as a rifle. Bigger ammo allows for more energy (well in excess of 12 ft lbs) and a greater killzone. I haven't got it wrong, how many kills have you had with 5mm ammo?

Everyday for 25 years is a stupid statement, you're right. Although the only one that looks stupid is you. Learn to read things properly!! I never made that statement. I said I shoot my catty everyday, which for the most part is correct, there'll be days when I don't but on the whole I do it everyday. I'm the boss at work so I can do what I want. I also said I've been making and shooting them for over 25 years, which is also true.

You're arguing over things that haven't been said and the stuff you're coming out with is a joke, take yourself over to one of the proper catapult forums make a post with all your facts in and then post the link here. I doubt you'll get anyone agree with you.

I think anyone reading this is going to realise that you're just trying to cash in and earn a few quid by selling catties. You don't know what makes a good or a bad fork and are just making stuff you think looks good as opposed to something that fits the hand properly and shoots well. I think people would be better spending their money with Gamekeeper John, as he can, and does shoot and knows what he's talking about.

you are out to cause trouble,, giving out personal insults bring your catty nd your lurcher to mine,,, i bet you both go home with your tails between your legs,,,,i have heard ducks fart before ,,,i dont argue or cause trouble i try to help people,,,the forum nd the real world are not the same ,,you will see << if i lose i will hold my hands ,,, i will be waiting... :thumbs:

Did you not read the previous post? Not to do it in this thread.

Listen, if you can afford the fuel I'll meet you half way. I ain't coming to yours, I doubt it's what I'm used to.

My Lurcher pup is 11 months and deerhound cross. What do you want to match him against? A bit silly again trying to challenge a puppy.

Catapults, are we having a hunting comp? Are you using 5mm ammo? It'll be interesting.

You aren't trying to help people out, you're giving them advice which isn't correct. No one agrees with you, it's just yourself who uses 5mm ammo and thinks it'll be putting out 12 ft lbs. You're right, the Internet isn't real life, so people can reinvent themselves and be experts when they've done nothing.

Anyone can read back and see how this has unfolded, you started questioning me and I gave you the facts. Your arguments were just your opinions with no basis in real world experience.

I'm not out to cause trouble, I'm out to promote fieldsports and give newbies the correct information. I don't sell my catties, I make about 30 a year and most are gifted to people. I'll reply to your PM.

Did you not read the previous post? Not to do it in this thread.

Listen, if you can afford the fuel I'll meet you half way. I ain't coming to yours, I doubt it's what I'm used to.

My Lurcher pup is 11 months and deerhound cross. What do you want to match him against? A bit silly again trying to challenge a puppy.

Catapults, are we having a hunting comp? Are you using 5mm ammo? It'll be interesting.

You aren't trying to help people out, you're giving them advice which isn't correct. No one agrees with you, it's just yourself who uses 5mm ammo and thinks it'll be putting out 12 ft lbs. You're right, the Internet isn't real life, so people can reinvent themselves and be experts when they've done nothing.

Anyone can read back and see how this has unfolded, you started questioning me and I gave you the facts. Your arguments were just your opinions with no basis in real world experience.

I'm not out to cause trouble, I'm out to promote fieldsports and give newbies the correct information. I don't sell my catties, I make about 30 a year and most are gifted to people. I'll reply to your PM.

wait nd see... you are good with written words,,,i have not the words to prove you wrong ballistically but you are!,,,some people may follow you like the school bully that needs a crowd...to state that i use 5mm is wrong,,i am sorry to use this lads post to answer you but i will prove you wrong,,,i make ammo too nd moulds for lead at any size mm you like,,so my dogs better you made the challenge i excepted it,,now dont try backing out using fule cost,,i am trying to find the pub where all these lads shoot cattys cos i want to meet these lads that use cattys..not to sell or ridicule any bodys cattys,,the naturals i make are very basic,i make cattys out of allsorts using most kinds of elastic not to make money or to brag just to show idears..start a post up showing your own designs of cattys before pulling mine down,,,dont put copys of bill hayes from usa or any that someone has made before you...kid gloves are off gobshhhhtie you will lose with cattys nd lurchers or anything you try to beat at,,,apart from being rude from behind your computer screen ,,,there's no easy way out cos i stand my ground nd i wont back down :boogy: :boogy:

I'm sorry micckey (strange spelling), I didn't realise that you weren't well mentally. You've obviously managed to get access to a PC in your secure unit.

Now, I'm not wrong, ballistics aren't just about projectile weight but also velocity. Catapults only have a finite amount of velocity available to them. You can't add a bigger case with more powder or more air to a catty projectile. Ask Steve Pope or Ben Taylor about .177 air guns. They won't tune one to do more than about 20 ft lbs. ask yourself why.

Nobody follows me and I don't know where that comes from.

You need to read back, you challenged me, dopey!! I'm not trying to back out. I said I'd meet you halfway, I said in my PM to you that I'd meet you in a few weeks when I was in Sheffield. But you still haven't answered that or anything else I've asked you. So I'm not after an easy way out, I'm after you answering my question. Can you afford to meet me halfway? Are ypu going to come? Would you prefer to wait until I'm in Sheffield?

I don't know what ideas you think you're showing people but there's nothing you do that I haven't seen hundreds of times before. My main issue with you is the fact that you told a newbie to use 5mm ammo to prevent fork strikes and said it was good to use. That's wrong and will never be true. If he'd asked about microwave ovens I wouldn't have commented because I don't know anything about them. I do know that what you said isn't true though. Now answer my questions by PM and we can move on.

Let's have a hunt where you use one of your frame and band conbos and 5mm ammo and I use mine and one of my larger ammo sizes. Don't try and say that you won't use 5mm because you were advising the OP to use it. Stand your ground!!!!

BTW To treat with kid gloves refers to treating something gently, using the softest gloves made from young goat, the gloves are off refers to boxing when gloves are taken off to allow bare knuckles to impart maximum damage. Your threat of "kid gloves are off" loses some of the impact because it means nothing.

1329833144718.jpg these are what you are trying to make yourself look important about,your talking mm's trying to prove yourself better,,i stated that using 5mm would help this lad practice maybe he would not get as many fork hits using smaller ammo...,,jumpping to silly conclushions nd making challenges is all about you.. just as your name says your name is>>my dogs better<< everyone aggree's with you all your mates nd eveyone on here,,end of chat ...now go bother some one else who will stroke your ego....google that...

Hahahahaha!!!!! Riding the back pedalling bicycle are we??? You made the challenge. You said you'd send me and my Lurcher home with our tails between our legs! I know what size 5mm is, I also know what the difference in weight between 5mm and 9mm is. It's enough difference to matter. You were saying that 5mm is more accurate and it'd be doing around 12 ft lbs with double TBG. Now prove it, let's have a hunt you with 5mm and me with .38 conicals. Remember, you stand your ground!!! Lol!!!