Merlins

jasper65

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the mother of one of my pair (the male) and is a direct import from Mexico and this is her on her first pheasant,this pic was taken on the plains of Toledo just south of Madrid by the breeder of my pair.

He also now has Bi Coloured hawks and ive my order in for these.

Hello Berkutchi how are you.

I'm very curious of who and were in Mexico did they import that Aplomado from. There is only one person in the entire Republic of Mexico that has succesfully hacth one egg of Aplomado and he still has the bird. I no that for a fact and still remember how big of a deal it was . Besides , there are only two legal registered breeders in Mexico , one in Monte Rey and one in Baja California. The one in Monte Rey thes not Breed Aplomados, and thes not even have any birds for sale of any kind at the moment. And the one in Baja California thes have several pares . But has not had any success yet, and couldn't legally sell any birds after the second year of his breeding Project if he had any. Let me no if you can I would like to no.

I'm very curious of who and were in Mexico did they import that Aplomado from. There is only one person in the entire Republic of Mexico that has succesfully hacth one egg of Aplomado and he still has the bird. I no that for a fact and still remember how big of a deal it was . Besides , there are only two legal registered breeders in Mexico , one in Monte Rey and one in Baja California. The one in Monte Rey thes not Breed Aplomados, and thes not even have any birds for sale of any kind at the moment. And the one in Baja California thes have several pares. But has not had any success yet, and couldn't legally sell any birds after the second year of his breeding Project if he had any. Let me no if you can I would like to no.

Hello Anka

:welcomeani: to the Forum. Me and a partner are always interested in Importing birds of any Interest provideing there are no restriction in place at the time, Black Sparrowhawks are high on the agenda but there are a good few other species we're considering! do you breed any birds yourself or have you any contacts who breed who may be Interested in exporting any birds to the UK?

Cheers

Jasper

Alot of the old stuff written would tell you that Merlins are only any good at this quarry in their first season and after become lazy and wanting, this is a total falasy! the guy I was talking about in the previouse post was flying a female a few years back called "Heidi", she was called this as she had a problem with one of her eyes and would hide her head under her wing when aproached, this bird started off pretty mediocre on Larks in its first season although personaly I think it was exagerated by a weight problem which then led to other problems like lack of confidence, anyway Rob persivered with her and each year she got better and better to the stage where should would speck out with the Lark totaly unsighted, the flight would normally start off with her cork screwing after the Lark when first slipped and finally standing off as they gained height, she was a clever girl and once she reached her ceiling would bank away from the Lark in wider circles giving it a wider birth and the oportunity to fold and drop for cover, this usualy worked and one hell of a stoop would develop, I'm not saying this Happend all the time as obvioulsy different quarry reacts in different ways, some flight was just straight tail chase rat hunts across the stubble but if the quarry took the turn to climb up and away a cracking flight was guranteed...

The first edition "A Merlin For Me" is fetching some good money these days blaze1, its a cracking read. I had the first edition signed copy of "The Imprint Accipiter" for a few years but it did nothing for me as I don't fly Imprints, it finally fetched not far off £140 on Ebay :whistle:

Good post Tony! :yes:

This is the mother of one of my pair (the male) and is a direct import from Mexico and this is her on her first pheasant,this pic was taken on the plains of Toledo just south of Madrid by the breeder of my pair.

He also now has Bi Coloured hawks and ive my order in for these.

I'm very curious of who and were in Mexico did they import that Aplomado from. There is only one person in the entire Republic of Mexico that has succesfully hacth one egg of Aplomado and he still has the bird. I no that for a fact and still remember how big of a deal it was . Besides , there are only two legal registered breeders in Mexico , one in Monte Rey and one in Baja California. The one in Monte Rey thes not Breed Aplomados, and thes not even have any birds for sale of any kind at the moment. And the one in Baja California thes have several pares . But has not had any success yet, and couldn't legally sell any birds after the second year of his breeding Project if he had any. Let me no if you can I would like to no.

Hi there Anka,

It seems that you know me from somewhere?,yes i can pm you the breeder of my pair contact details and when i bought them insisted that his main breeding stock of Aplamados come from Mexico,he also has the larger Argentinian sub species to but were more expensive!

Regards Lance...

Hello Anka

:welcomeani: to the Forum. Me and a partner are always interested in Importing birds of any Interest provideing there are no restriction in place at the time, Black Sparrowhawks are high on the agenda but there are a good few other species we're considering! do you breed any birds yourself or have you any contacts who breed who may be Interested in exporting any birds to the UK?

Cheers

Jasper

Thank you for the greetings. I don't have any birds that I could legally sell to you at the time. And in fact there are three registerd Breeders here in my country not two like I had mentioned before, But I could only contact you with the one in my state of Baja California for the time being. It would take me a while with the other two, but if your really interested I could start sending messages to see what they might have available.

Cheers

Hi there Anka,

It seems that you know me from somewhere?,yes i can pm you the breeder of my pair contact details and when i bought them insisted that his main breeding stock of Aplamados come from Mexico,he also has the larger Argentinian sub species to but were more expensive!

Regards Lance...

Hello there

Sorry I was under the impresion you might have been a young lad and friend that I use to speak to at another forum base in the USA , but his name was Richard. He also flys eagles, and uses the name Berkutchi. No need to send the pm I'm sure they did come from here. People have been elegally exporting bidrs from my country for a very long time. I would say that 95 % or more of the Superiori Harris hawks they fly so much in Europe today , came from here twenty, twenty five years ago. The USA population is very small and back then there was nobody breeding them comercialy in that country that I have found.

Cheers

Yes thats him as in Victor Meldrew :laugh:

He had a Imprint Finn x German female off me a couple of seasons ago for a breeding project! he sold it last year as he didn't like its aggression towards him in the breeding season, I would have taken that as a very good sign she's coming into condition, if anyone wants to see some aggression they should come and see my Imprint Gos's this time of the year.....