Photo
- - - - -

Feeding Ferrets whole rabbits ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ferret333

ferret333

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Alright guys .

How do you go about feeding a whole rabbit to the ferrets ?
Do you Gut the rabbit and leave skin on ?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Andy :thumbs:

#2 Ideation

Ideation

Jesus Like Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,153 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

If fresh i chuck it in as is and its all gone by nightfall/day break. If i'm freezing them i pull the intestines and bladder out - leave, heart, kidneys etc.

#3 ferret333

ferret333

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

If fresh i chuck it in as is and its all gone by nightfall/day break. If i'm freezing them i pull the intestines and bladder out - leave, heart, kidneys etc.

Thanks for that .

Do the ferrets eat the intestines ? wouldnt it be very messy

#4 andy s410c

andy s410c

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

I always gut the rabbit then open it right up to check for tapeworm cysts & bin the liver if it has liver fluke.Would'nt want the rabbits shitbag busting in the court,it's minging :sick:

#5 Ideation

Ideation

Jesus Like Hunter

• Members
  • 14,153 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

If your just feeding rabbit they need the odd bit of offal for a complete diet. As minging as it may be. . . .

#6 Sean86

Sean86

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

i just chuck the whole rabbit into mine mate no need for skinning it, rabbits there natural diet so its got everything they need & by the time they've finished with it theres not much left :)

#7 comanche

comanche

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

It does depend on how many ferrets you have and what the weather is like .
Chucking a whole bun into a pen is fine if there are enough ferrets to finish it off quickly or the weather is cool ,but in hot weather or if you just have a single ferret it is better to only feed a portion at a time to avoid it going "off" or attracting flies. But a bit of everything -head,guts ,blood ,bone,flesh,organs etc-is a good natural diet .

#8 longdog13

longdog13

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

It does depend on how many ferrets you have and what the weather is like .
Chucking a whole bun into a pen is fine if there are enough ferrets to finish it off quickly or the weather is cool ,but in hot weather or if you just have a single ferret it is better to only feed a portion at a time to avoid it going "off" or attracting flies. But a bit of everything -head,guts ,blood ,bone,flesh,organs etc-is a good natural diet .

With the amount of Tape worm cysts i've come across this season, i always open up the rabbits, remove intestines and stomach and give the rest to them, if i'm freezing the rabbits first, i take their jackets off, it's easier to defrost them that way.