dog collapsed again

took my dog a walk late last nite and he went for a run but when he came back he was realy panting hard so i took him over to the river and he started to go in and drink but when he got out it was like he was drunk and just collapsed and threw up .after ten minits he was up and fine . its not the first times happend had him at the vets and was told they dont no whats wrong with him and it was a mistery to them . so i think his days for running are finished hes only coming two but i feel bad because the dog gets into a state like that so im just golng to keep him a pet now as i cant stamd by and watch my dog suffer that its not fair on him .im gutted about it but thats life i suppose has any body els had this with thare dogs ?

sounds like your dog could have a lung worm bring him to the vet ask him to dose him for lung worm.plus check up for a hearth murmor.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seen it a few times with peoples dogs that werent fit enough for the work they had done. Panting and collapse but recover over a period of half hr. Wouldnt hurt getting his heart checked but if he isnt fit enough Id say thats your drama.

I'd try him when he is fit, not carrying excess condition- which sometimes doesnt take much in a running dog to affect them- and see how it goes. Get him running fit, everyday next to bike or car. Walking doesnt give this top end puff, plenty of dogs around here get walked for miles yet cant stick to a game of fetch for 5 mins

i run my dogs in high temps with no dramas, but last time I seen this we were pig chasing middle of winter, cold as, but the dog that collapsed wasnt fit enough and carrying too much weight.

hows things around the boulder mate.was over thier last year.atb.mat

Mate of mine had a saluki grey a good few years ago now, bred by local lads people we know, the dad was one hell of a dog took all quarry day night, but he used to have fits now and then the mother was also a good doog done what bred for but not the teethed stuff, shortly after litter arrived the dog had a fit and sadly died aged 5, anyway the pup my mate had was also one one hell of a dog took rabbit hare roe etc and tried the teeeth stuff but was never the best at that! We used to carry biscuts etc as he started to fit, not knowing where he was or who people were and frothing at the mouth! He also lived a short life died aged 4 through a fit while walking the mutts through the wood and dogs being dogs having a good run about, he fitted and died in my mate arms 1st dog he ever owned and will be the best dog he will ever own!

i was out one night last week, it was warmish and my deerhund cross had a fairly good run, he chased the rabbit right back to where we stood, then he looked like his front legs just broke, he was having real trouble getting up, i put him in pond to cool down then he was fine.

spoke to a good mate of mine, he was just not fit enought to run, my fault for letting him run it, but put the wind up me for a while!!

the fecker slept all the way home for a change!!!

all the best

rob,

What kind of jacket is your dog wearing...??

A dog we run, (wheaton bull grey) has collasped twice this year. Simple reason is, the dog isnt fit.... And isnt suited to runnig in warm conditons anyway.(because of the coat it has) Put these 2 problems together and the dog will drop......

The dog isnt out enough to say it is anywhere near fit....

My dogs are both rough coated, the beardie x being double coated, yet have never colasped. They do go out everyday, so are fit enough. I am sure if they were only taken out a few times aweek, then run, the same thing would happen as what happened to the wheaton x.

Apoor diet can also contribute to a dog going down...

i had a bitch do it last season,on a cold wet night,it was her fourth slip and half way down the beam she just tied up.What i would call musclebound.Straight home and gave her some well sugared tea (glucose). Next morning she was fine and never had the problem again.atb shushy :thumbs:

Do you mean like cramp?

i had a bitch do it last season,on a cold wet night,it was her fourth slip and half way down the beam she just tied up.What i would call musclebound.Straight home and gave her some well sugared tea (glucose). Next morning she was fine and never had the problem again.atb shushy :thumbs:

Do you mean like cramp?

yes mate,it looks like the dog is fitting but its just all the muscles tying,or cramping.My dog was fit but it was a bitter night and she just wasnt warm enough.

Do you mean like cramp?

yes mate,it looks like the dog is fitting but its just all the muscles tying,or cramping.My dog was fit but it was a bitter night and she just wasnt warm enough.

right, yeah i understand... I know it looks daft, but is this why some folk put coats on there dogs?

Do you mean like cramp?

could well be mate!

right, yeah i understand... I know it looks daft, but is this why some folk put coats on there dogs?

hes a big hairy type 27 tts and has a good blueish rough jacket hes definet ly not fit enough so hopefully this is my problem and as i said hes been checked over by the vet and they found nothing wrong .and it would seem this is more common than i thot as quite a few guys have had this happen to them thanks for the advice guys

try getting the dog relatively fit warm the dog up before running take for awalk a hour before going to work in the early days we use ta walk our dogs to the venues muscle binding can also be a tribited to hyper tension 2yrs old way to young ta give up on a dog this problem is almost certainly aconditiong thing bull crosses wheaton types are similiar animals put ya dog in a keep mate best grub good luck

try getting the dog relatively fit warm the dog up before running take for awalk a hour before going to work in the early days we use ta walk our dogs to the venues muscle binding can also be a tribited to hyper tension 2yrs old way to young ta give up on a dog this problem is almost certainly aconditiong thing bull crosses wheaton types are similiar animals put ya dog in a keep mate best grub good luck

im not giving up on him i just thot it was something more serious but whe i relised im not the only person on here with the same problem im going to put alot more effort in and get him realy fit to see if that helps

Have you had him to the vet brian?

aye and the said hes fime so im taking it as a fitness issue because both times its happend hes no been fully match fit and so many other guys on here have the same thing so am going out ma way to get him fit as f**k then try him and see what happens