live catch sparrow trap

Guest iceaz

Shaman ..... (Sorry to be bending ye thread here, Iceaz. But I take it it's about finished?) ..... When I grew up ~ and yes, incredibly, I can still remember my early childhood! :icon_eek: ~ there were two things so ubiquitous I just took them for granted: White, crumbly Dog shit (because way back then there were no computers and no one had thought of grinding chickens feet up with carcinogens and selling them for a fortune in greasy sacks, to feed Dogs with) and there were House Sparrows chirruping from every roof guttering in my home town.

Time warp foreward half a century. Nothing! Would you believe, the House Sparrow, FFS, is now on the British Trust for Ornithology's Red List?! The little f***as are teetering on the egde of extinction in the british isles! :icon_eek: Just un f***ing believable! Incomprehensable!!!

Worst of it is; The white Dog shit stands to be making a come back. That's easy. Feed ye Dogs right and voillah! But the Sparrow? We just don't know Why, mate!

Generations, centuries of blokes like us have reared untold ferrets on knocking over Flocks of sparrows. I used to catch them by the dozens, week in, week out. It was like catching rats: Just never dented them. Now ....? And the Starlings too though. Like, WTF is happening, man?

I've always fed the wild birds in my garden. For several years I religiously counted them too. So I can tell ye for a personally recorded Fact: Feed the little buggers, year round, summer and winter and their numbers Will build up. I've done it. I even strenghened my other addresses sparrow flock so much that one cock bird broke away and started a new flock of his own - then I moved and god knows what became of them :(

Now, here in the bogs of Very rural Eire? I'm feeding the birds, but there's no BTO to record for. But my eyes tell me; There's No shortage of the little House Sparrow over here.

You tell me! :unsure:

spot on DS. trying to build em up round here, but just holding there own! against old yeller eyes!

• 1 year later...

I dont think you would ever catch a magpie in that sort of trap. I cant see why one would want to enter it? Its designed to attract cavity nesting birds looking for a nesting site ;)

Just make a window in with fence and put eggs after it, he migth go in en gets in the weird lift.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest silenthunter
http://www.abirdshome.com/pm/spartrap.htm

im goign to have a go at making one

what do people reckon to them and has anyone else every used them

:drink::drink::signthankspin:

yeah seen them before in a local paper there illegal i wouldnt go there u get caught and ur feked rspca,rspb,and u be looking at a big fine why u wont to catch sparrows god nows there aint mainy sparrows around now anyway

• 3 months later...