Harris Hawk- Male or Female?????

moocherboi

Just started reading about harris hawks as interested in the sport but want to make sure its right for me and i really want to do it.

have i got the time etc.

So i have been talking to people, reading etc.. Im not in any rush at all, thats the last thing i want to do.

i was just wondering what gender to look at if i did decide to purchase one? (only read soo much out of a book)

obviously i will want to find myself a mentor to show me the ropes, get some handson experience too, before buying one too. more i can do the more i will know if its right for me.. like i said there is no rush.

if i was to get one, it would be mostly used on rabbits whilst mooching around, and ferreting. mayb odd pheasant.

i looked breifly into goshawks but there more expensive and been told they need flying from the fist. i dont think that would suit me ferreting. Although i like the speed and agility of such a bird. range of game it can take.

any way back to main topic, sorry gone on and on.

but which would you reccomend for me?

or just the pro's and con's of each gender.

kind regards

i have flown them both i loved them both the male was faster but the female could hold on to her prey bettter because of the size diff and weight. harris hawks are a good first bird as you prop red about in the books i think the main thing is time and patience you are doing the right thing reading and asking before rushing in to it and getting wrong and not liking it or worse losing a bird etc

oh some very good books are jemima perry jones she is brill with birds.and she does a few dvd taking you though step by step from the start to hunting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Birds-Prey-Jemima-Parry-Jones/dp/071530142X'>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Birds-Prey-Jemima-Parry-Jones/dp/071530142X

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Birds-Prey-Jemima-Parry-Jones/dp/071530142X

and nick fox is a well knowledged guy aswell but he really does falcons but well worth having a read or dvd hope that helps a little

Edited by kirk224

Just started reading about harris hawks as interested in the sport but want to make sure its right for me and i really want to do it.

have i got the time etc.

So i have been talking to people, reading etc.. Im not in any rush at all, thats the last thing i want to do.

i was just wondering what gender to look at if i did decide to purchase one? (only read soo much out of a book)

obviously i will want to find myself a mentor to show me the ropes, get some handson experience too, before buying one too. more i can do the more i will know if its right for me.. like i said there is no rush.

if i was to get one, it would be mostly used on rabbits whilst mooching around, and ferreting. mayb odd pheasant.

i looked breifly into goshawks but there more expensive and been told they need flying from the fist. i dont think that would suit me ferreting. Although i like the speed and agility of such a bird. range of game it can take.

any way back to main topic, sorry gone on and on.

but which would you reccomend for me?

or just the pro's and con's of each gender.

kind regards

before you even get a bird get all equipment as you mentioned goshawks where dear when starting equipment is much more , a avairy £100 plus , telemetry £300 plus all equipment glove box , bow perches , food etc can cost £500 plus, roughly a 1000 before even getting a bird . when you got all them sorted then start sorcing for a bird only with a mentor or someone with a bit of expericance to help a male harris 200-250 a female 250 -350 then get the bird insured as vets are not cheap for birds as you will find out ,then have you got time to fly and hunt regualy not just saturdays as falconry is ery time comsuming but once all that , happy hawking hope you do find help and enjoy the sport as once started your hooked for life

Size is un-important! A male can and will take everything that a female can upto but excluding a hare! Males are more agile, appear to be quicker off the fist and will invariably size for size out fly a female every time! They also tend to be less tempramental than the females as they reach maturity. It is essential that you have ALL your equipment and EVERYTHING! in place BEFORE the bird arrives. You must also preferably have a good mentor to guide you through training process. This mentor will have already shown you how to man a bird and train it from scratch ie: fresh out of the aviery, to the point of flying free and entering it at quarry. This means of course, spending alot of time with your mentor! So My advice would be to eventually opt for a male Harris' Hawk! Hope this helps!

Thank you very much all, for replying and taking time to write them. I will make sure that i have money for equipment and have it all before i even start to look for a bird. Cant stand people that buy animals at spare of the moment and have nothing to take them home too!!

Thank you again and any more advise you could give would be very greatfull. Will keep reading and researching and find myself a mentor. learn as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only commend your approach to falconry, and agree with previous posts offering advice.

Try looking at specefic falconry forums, they can sometimes be bitchy but if you overcome that, they can offer a wealth of information.

The word mentor can be confusing. I have been lucky enough to be involved in falconry for 20 odd years, and consider myself experienced. I consider all who offer advice to be mentors, because believe me, somethings still confuse the hell out of me even now.

My advice to you would be to join the international falconry forum and download the beginners starter pack free of charge. Ask questions, and dont be bullied by forum members. Keep an open mind about what bird you want, and source your new bird carefully.

I make most of my own eqpt, I believe its all part of the sport. Source your eqpt from reccomended suppliers and dont buy the cheap and nasty kit often sold on eblag.

I send you my very best wishes, and hope you reach your goal.

Dave