not a great morning

so as usual got over the farm this morning, set up the blind,decoys,motion doves and the new rotary magnet, within seconds a pidgeon had come down and was in the bag, lovely blue sky and not another woodie in sight :angry: probably around 40 minutes before the second showed up, so I wasent to bother, 2 birds for 2 carts, then empty skies again, I could hear shooting in the distance on the other farm, so put this down as the reason for no birds, but why o why o why is it, that just when you aint seen nothing for ages, put the gun down and turned around to let "mr wriggly" releave himself, do not one but three woodies fly past, they were more sitting ducks than pidgeons, but of course, I wasent in a position to get them :icon_redface:

while looking out over the camo net towards the magnet, something caught my eye directly behind it, at first I thought it was a crow walking towards the magnet, the realised it was a pheasant :clapper: I let him walk away from the magnet before popping him off, did'nt want to pepper my new toy, I ended with a third pidgeon that was a good way up, probably 50yds, he came down like a kamikazi pilot bombing a boat, whizzing past my head by about a foot and crashing into the sheep fence behind me in a cloud of white feathers :D

so not the best day to test the new magnet out, as always when talking to the farmer he reckoned that yesterday there was thousands there

oh well, roll on next friday,

unless I can get out monday that is ;)

post-5267-1256311756_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1256311770_thumb.jpg

well done on getting the pheasent BUT shooting it while it walking

just me but woud never shot a pheasent unless it in flight

just something me father always thought me

i was going to say something yesterday about that, kick em up and at least get a bit of flight on em or let em go til next time. not very sporting for a game bird

i was going to say something yesterday about that, kick em up and at least get a bit of flight on em or let em go til next time. not very sporting for a game bird

my appologise guys, I've never shot pheasant before, so I'll know if one ever comes along again, I would say though that "the guns" that Id heard earlier that morning, may well have been a driven shoot, rather than pidgeons as Id thought, I dont know but I didnt see it fly in, so maybe it was a winged bird that had walked across

I have been told the same, but playing devils advocate :

Is it unsporting then to let pigeon land in the decoy pattern?,

Is it unsporting to shoot a fox or rabbit that is standing still?

Not trying to be smart just curious on peoples opinions then.

pigeon isnt thought of as a game bird like a pheasant

pigeon fox and rabbit are all considered vermin

thats the diffrence of shooting them not moving

and i would always shoot the pigeon when it gliding it

a good point, I suppose we could also go onto asking, sport or food, surely poachers of old, that went out on dark nights, would have taken a pheasant roosting, rather than flying, not sporting, but then if its to feed the family Im presuming its different?

my pheasant was'ent taken for sport, its plucked and getting fed to people on halloween night bbq

either way it is a game bird and should be treated one if you have a shotgun in your hand.

if your bagging up as a poacher any way goes ;)

anyway it's dead now and hope it tastes good on the bbq , sporting shooter this month have done a great recipe for potted pheasant which i might give a go

so as usual got over the farm this morning, set up the blind,decoys,motion doves and the new rotary magnet, within seconds a pidgeon had come down and was in the bag, lovely blue sky and not another woodie in sight :angry: probably around 40 minutes before the second showed up, so I wasent to bother, 2 birds for 2 carts, then empty skies again, I could hear shooting in the distance on the other farm, so put this down as the reason for no birds, but why o why o why is it, that just when you aint seen nothing for ages, put the gun down and turned around to let "mr wriggly" releave himself, do not one but three woodies fly past, they were more sitting ducks than pidgeons, but of course, I wasent in a position to get them :icon_redface:

while looking out over the camo net towards the magnet, something caught my eye directly behind it, at first I thought it was a crow walking towards the magnet, the realised it was a pheasant :clapper: I let him walk away from the magnet before popping him off, did'nt want to pepper my new toy, I ended with a third pidgeon that was a good way up, probably 50yds, he came down like a kamikazi pilot bombing a boat, whizzing past my head by about a foot and crashing into the sheep fence behind me in a cloud of white feathers :D

so not the best day to test the new magnet out, as always when talking to the farmer he reckoned that yesterday there was thousands there

oh well, roll on next friday,

unless I can get out monday that is ;)

post-5267-1256311756_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1256311770_thumb.jpg

what joy do you get out of shooting a pheasant on the ground,bit of a joke that. they are bred for rough shooting or driven days, not for some half wit to peer over the hide and blast it on the ground. not very sporting that is it. do you shoot your pigeons on the ground aswell.

what joy do you get out of shooting a pheasant on the ground,bit of a joke that. they are bred for rough shooting or driven days, not for some half wit to peer over the hide and blast it on the ground. not very sporting that is it. do you shoot your pigeons on the ground aswell.

Now now Marky,who is the half wit really ? Stubby who shoots a pheasant on the ground or you who gets arrested, thrown in the cells and then doesnt declare it on his shotgun applicaton :clapper:

I have learnt something from this, ie, how new members could get put off "this site", Ive appologised for not knowing the "eticat" on shooting pheasants, yet it seems thats not enough for some, rather than take the easy option of deleating the post, Ill leave it be for the time being, hoping other "newbies" might learn from it