Filleting Trout

Guest Fishaben

Hi all,

I am a very keen fisherman and go fly fishing quite often. I have been today and brought one home to eat. Now the thing is, I usually just gut it, do away with the head and tail and thats that. But I decided to have a go at filleting it. I tried it today and it didn't turn out very well, the 1st fillet seemed ok but the 2nd wasn't quite as good. And plus I got bones in it but they weren't ribs as they were still there when I got the flesh off it. Has anyone please got any good and clear instructions on how I can get as much flesh off the fish and without having to pluck all the bones out of it with my mums eyebrow twezers :11: .

Thanks,

Ben

Hi all,

I am a very keen fisherman and go fly fishing quite often. I have been today and brought one home to eat. Now the thing is, I usually just gut it, do away with the head and tail and thats that. But I decided to have a go at filleting it. I tried it today and it didn't turn out very well, the 1st fillet seemed ok but the 2nd wasn't quite as good. And plus I got bones in it but they weren't ribs as they were still there when I got the flesh off it. Has anyone please got any good and clear instructions on how I can get as much flesh off the fish and without having to pluck all the bones out of it with my mums eyebrow twezers :11: .

Thanks,

Ben

forget about filleting, gut um lay a peice of baking out put fish in middle put some lemon juice and a knob of butter in cavity wrap up leaving a little space to steam put in oven or bbq for 10 mins max and when you open the package the skin and bones will lift out in a oner

Fishaben you need a really sharp knife to fillet successfully.I tried looking around some catering suppliers and some filleting knives were very expensive.The one I bought and use regularly is from my local fishing tackle shop made by Rapala only cost about £17.

Ruby

Guest Fishaben

thanks ruby,

I was using a sharp enough knife its just that I got bones in with the fillet and had to pick them all out with my mums tweezers :11:. But I dont think they were ribs as they were all still in tact, do you know what they were??

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Easiest way I found to fillet a trout is....

1/ lay it on a piece of newspaper and remove the head

2/ With a sharp carving knife start cutting just above the backbone where the head used to be remember to keep the knife flat and against the backbone.

3/ Lay you first fillet skin down and with a sharp filleting knife remove the rib bones by making a shallow cut from the top of the fish and slice just below the ribs all the way down to the gut cavity. Cut out the ribs along with the slimy gut cavity.

4/ The second fillet needs to be placed flesh down and the above instructions repeated

5/ remove all fins, wash and cook whatever way you want...... Hope this helps